Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Labour leader hopeful Jeremy Miles' 20mph review pledge

International

Re: Welsh Labour leader hopeful Jeremy Miles' 20mph review pledge

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Good one

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I doubt they will actually get rid of it. A few minor tweaks at the most.
    And if they have any sense they'll wait to see the proper impact first too, if it has saved as many lives as is predicted then it will be a very difficult call to make to scrap it altogether.
    If that is the case , surely the next step should be a man with a flag in front of all cars ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If that is the case , surely the next step should be a man with a flag in front of all cars ?
    no of course not

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thing is that they'll never know if it has actually saved any lives. The numbers predicted were so small to begin with, plus data doesn't actually say what speeds vehicles were doing at the time of any accidents, only the speed limit. My suspicion is that there'll be little difference.
    If deaths are significantly down, it'll be difficult to attribute it to anything other than lower top speeds

Should have made more noise a lot before this desperate vote for me ploy.

Will we spend another 20 million reversing this pathetic decesion.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    If deaths are significantly down, it'll be difficult to attribute it to anything other than lower top speeds
    They won't be significantly down. There were relatively few in 30mph zones (and slower). If there are fewer deaths at roads with higher speed limits, that won't be anything to do with 20mph limits.

no of course not
    Where do you stop then ? I drove down from North Wales last week driving through little villages without a sole in the streets , yet the cars would slow down to 20mph. Agreed no one was killed on this occasion.

They won't be significantly down. There were relatively few in 30mph zones (and slower). If there are fewer deaths at roads with higher speed limits, that won't be anything to do with 20mph limits.
    So, why have Welsh Labour reduced the 30mph speed limit?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    So, why have Welsh Labour reduced the 30mph speed limit?
    They claim safety. I reckon it's about trying to make roads more of a problem for drivers to force them into alternatives.

In a way they've got a point. Where I live there are virtually no places to park anywhere. I'm in the valleys near Aberdare. The roads around here cannot cope with the traffic on them, yet there are more and more car journeys and owners every year. Where I live I'm lucky if I can park near the house. There aren't options to provide off road parking. Our streets weren't designed for it. Several houses have more than one car per house. There are work vans.

It'll keep getting worse until someone has a solution.

International

They claim safety. I reckon it's about trying to make roads more of a problem for drivers to force them into alternatives.

In a way they've got a point. Where I live there are virtually no places to park anywhere. I'm in the valleys near Aberdare. The roads around here cannot cope with the traffic on them, yet there are more and more car journeys and owners every year. Where I live I'm lucky if I can park near the house. There aren't options to provide off road parking. Our streets weren't designed for it. Several houses have more than one car per house. There are work vans.

They are trying to make driving less attractive, this increase in congestion by lower speeds is one ploy and probably just the start. The next is ULEZ which affects poorer working people more, having to scrap their old vans and pack in work or buy newer vans or work vehicles.

I would imagine they will carry on with higher car taxes for older cars and ULEZ zones and then maybe more tax on fuel until more of the public drop out of car ownership. Everyone over 17 and who has passed the driving test has their own car in my street, I suppose that can't continue forever.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They are trying to make driving less attractive, this increase in congestion by lower speeds is one ploy and probably just the start. The next is ULEZ which affects poorer working people more, having to scrap their old vans and pack in work or buy newer vans or work vehicles.

I would imagine they will carry on with higher car taxes for older cars and ULEZ zones and then maybe more tax on fuel until more of the public drop out of car ownership. Everyone over 17 and who has passed the driving test has their own car in my street, I suppose that can't continue forever.
    increase in congestion is almost entirely down to more cars on the roads, reducing average speeds by a few mph doesn't have a significant effect on congestion

increase in congestion is almost entirely down to more cars on the roads, reducing average speeds by a few mph doesn't have a significant effect on congestion
    Oh yes it does !

I understood that every 20mph road would be regularly monitored, and the speed limit changed if deemed safe to do so?

Most countries in the World have 30kmh (18mph) speed limits in built up areas, it seems Wales is just following suit.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Oh yes it does !
    the only congestion I encounter is typically on the A470, which is not 20mph

International

the only congestion I encounter is typically on the A470, which is not 20mph
    Where do you live?

North Cardiff is slowed to 20mph or less a lot of the time, although they are getting overtaken and gradually speeding up.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Where do you live?

North Cardiff is slowed to 20mph or less a lot of the time, although they are getting overtaken and gradually speeding up.
    I live in north Cardiff

International

I live in north Cardiff
    Pantmawr Road, HLF, all Caerphilly Road, Heol Y Deri, and most of Whitchurch is congested and slowed by dawdling traffic missing traffic lights it's much worse.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

No mention of the Coronavirus cover up….yet

Eric - Caro Wild - labour Councillor at Cardiff city council - was the person behind closing roads , introducing traffic calming (congestion) all over Cardiff. His closure of Castle st on the grounds of air pollution was over turned and the Labour group at the council were forced to re open it (cost 3.8 million). Not to be defeated they then introduced the crazy system we have now - that leads to (ironically) more air pollution.

Mike Welch - Labour activist and ex friend of Caro Wild spilled the beans online - when he said that Caro and the Labour partys plan was to "introduce as much chaos as possible" across Cardiff so that people would give up driving and the policy was that Cardiff become a city of village, where you stay and dont venture anywhere else.

That same policy is backed by Labour at the Senedd and many Labour councils across Wales it seems.

I only go 20mph when the car in front of me does, and thankfully not many are adhering to the pathetic limit.

I wonder if the move to bringing more and more rules to the motorists we may increase deaths as pedestrians, cyclist become less aware and responsible for their own actions.

Driving around Wales I have found a bewildering number of extra signs, bumps, varied speeds limits, endless traffic lights, roundabout after roundabout, a stranger to the city or elderly person could easily be distracted from the core skill of driving, and become distracted by so much signage...

What happened to pedestrians responsibliliies of things like looking right and left before crossing.. A lot can't hear or see these days as they far away and equally distracted by their noise cancelling headphones.

Cyclists think clipping a camera to their helmet ( on their head not the bulb below) allows them Carte blanche to disregard road rules.

1984 is upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Eric - Caro Wild - labour Councillor at Cardiff city council - was the person behind closing roads , introducing traffic calming (congestion) all over Cardiff. His closure of Castle st on the grounds of air pollution was over turned and the Labour group at the council were forced to re open it (cost 3.8 million). Not to be defeated they then introduced the crazy system we have now - that leads to (ironically) more air pollution.

Mike Welch - Labour activist and ex friend of Caro Wild spilled the beans online - when he said that Caro and the Labour partys plan was to "introduce as much chaos as possible" across Cardiff so that people would give up driving and the policy was that Cardiff become a city of village, where you stay and dont venture anywhere else.

That same policy is backed by Labour at the Senedd and many Labour councils across Wales it seems.
    Whatever happened to fifteen minute cities? The independent thinkers on here, and UK Government ministers, were talking about little else for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I wonder if the move to bringing more and more rules to the motorists we may increase deaths as pedestrians, cyclist become less aware and responsible for their own actions.

Driving around Wales I have found a bewildering number of extra signs, bumps, varied speeds limits, endless traffic lights, roundabout after roundabout, a stranger to the city or elderly person could easily be distracted from the core skill of driving, and become distracted by so much signage...

What happened to pedestrians responsibliliies of things like looking right and left before crossing.. A lot can't hear or see these days as they far away and equally distracted by their noise cancelling headphones.

Cyclists think clipping a camera to their helmet ( on their head not the bulb below) allows them Carte blanche to disregard road rules.

1984 is upon us.
    No, it’s forty years past us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, it’s forty years past us.
    brilliant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67897575

Jeremy Miles has ruled out a U-turn on the controversial 20mph law in Wales if he becomes first minister.