+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mr Bates V's the Post Office

International

Re: Mr Bates V's the Post Office

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    That’s a very high horse you’re sat on there !

You’ve reached that opinion through your eyes, so it’s you who are misogynistic (whatever it means)

I was thinking she’s more inclined to fancy the bush, therefore not requiring a meal of sausage
    And he replied to me who said feck all

I hope her giving her cbe back doesn't overshadow the need for others to be held to account, including criminal charges if appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Unfortunately can’t open this unless I join
    Use 12ft Ladder to access it: https://12ft.io/

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Twas ever the way.

Do people really give parties lots of cash just out of the goodness of their heart, particularly huge donations from individuals in charge of big companies and corporations? The whole thing is utterly corrupt and not just on the side of the Conservatives. If Labour get into power there'll be people wanting to make donations that will help them get on the ladder.

Money talks. Always will do.
    There's a strata/level of society that's conveniently out of reach for all but the best-connected. The UK has been criminally corrupt since WW2. Residences in London worth £50 million+ unoccupied for years, and lower down the sewer of greed, the proliferation of Turkish retail businesses in S.E UK, not to mention 'cash only' establishments. It's endemic...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There's a strata/level of society that's conveniently out of reach for all but the best-connected. The UK has been criminally corrupt since WW2. Residences in London worth £50 million+ unoccupied for years, and lower down the sewer of greed, the proliferation of Turkish retail businesses in S.E UK, not to mention 'cash only' establishments. It's endemic...
    Yep, people who deal in cash should be hung, drawn and quartered. No crime whatsoever amongst the ‘cashless society’. And those bloody Turks……………

Yeah. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Yep, people who deal in cash should be hung, drawn and quartered. No crime whatsoever amongst the ‘cashless society’. And those bloody Turks……………
    I thought it might be a mistake posting that on here..

The moral of the story is simple: the rich, powerful and prominent members of the establishment are anathema to democracy and can and will wreck lives and livelihoods

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

The Daily Mail has been running with this story for at least 8 years, often headlining it. It's criminal that no-one on Govt. has even bothered to redress the wrongs - until a TV programme brings it to the national conscience..
    I wonder if libel claims can be made against newspapers that ran with "sub-postmistress stole money from pensioners".

“We were ostracised in Bridlington," he told Times Radio recently. "We were abused in the streets. Our daughter was bullied. She was on the school bus and spat on by a young boy because [they thought] her father was a thief, and he’d take money from old people.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The moral of the story is simple: the rich, powerful and prominent members of the establishment are anathema to democracy and can and will wreck lives and livelihoods
    They will forever rule us as a democracy. They just need to know how much we want that they'll release and that's it.

Found the first episode of this a bit confusing. Alan Bates and his wife say they have lost their jobs, home and savings, but then buy a beautiful detached cottage in North Wales?
    Justice and compensation can’t come too soon for these victims of the establishment, but trying to put myself in their place, if I knew I wasn’t stealing cash, and deficit amounts were doubling on a computer screen in front of my eyes,and my employers were unwilling to get to the bottom of it, there is no way I would sign off anything involved with it. I would be harassing the police, my local MP, and the local media.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Found the first episode of this a bit confusing. Alan Bates and his wife say they have lost their jobs, home and savings, but then buy a beautiful detached cottage in North Wales?
    Justice and compensation can’t come too soon for these victims of the establishment, but trying to put myself in their place, if I knew I wasn’t stealing cash, and deficit amounts were doubling on a computer screen in front of my eyes,and my employers were unwilling to get to the bottom of it, there is no way I would sign off anything involved with it. I would be harassing the police, my local MP, and the local media.
    I read yesterday that the Bates cottage was far smaller than the one depicted in the series. I'm not sure about the rest of their finances.
    I wasn't keen to watch the TV min-series after listening to the podcast (as dramatisation can be more manipulative of the viewer than the more factual podcast) but the result of it certainly helped the poor victims.
    I did eventually binge-watch it last night, however.

[QUOTE=Forest Green Bluebird;5480961]I wonder if libel claims can be made against newspapers that ran with "sub-postmistress stole money from pensioners".

It wouldn't be libellous if they ran the same story today against anyone still with a conviction.
    They wouldn't though.

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Which is what he did, he said it's your stupid system not me, but yes some of them were a bit soft and didn't know how to react.

International

Alan Bates comes across as humble and the show captured that so well, that is what has helped to get the public behind them. I understand how angry they must be but I think some need to learn from his approach and remain humble, they will start to lose some public sympathy if they start shouting at ministers and demanding millions and saying £600K is not enough. They should leave the solicitors play hardball and get maximum payouts, and continue to portray the hard done by quiet little sub-postmaster image who were smashed by a massive government-backed organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    I wonder if libel claims can be made against newspapers that ran with "sub-postmistress stole money from pensioners".

“We were ostracised in Bridlington," he told Times Radio recently. "We were abused in the streets. Our daughter was bullied. She was on the school bus and spat on by a young boy because [they thought] her father was a thief, and he’d take money from old people.”
    Although the convictions may have been or may still be overturned, the newspapers would have been reporting the findings of the court at the time and which were not their responsibilty. It's heart-breaking for the poor souls that suffered from the ineptitude and viciousness of the Post Office but newspapers would be open to libel cases every time any conviction of any kind reported by them was overturned across the board.

By the way, although I watched the TV drama about it (and when I was doing something else at the time and may have missed some fine detail) how did the convictions take place without the Post Office presenting to the court a complete breakdown of the supposed takings, which could be audited in detail?

I did listen to the podcast a while ago but my memory of the detail on this front is hazy too.

The analysis
    A plague on all their houses

Rishi Sunak today announced unprecedented legislation to pardon en masse those victims of the Post Office scandal who have spent years waiting for justice. It was a mere day ago that his Justice Secretary, Alex Chalk, told MPs that the government wanted to exhaust all other options before taking the ‘radical’ step of overruling multiple courts. It must have been an exhausting 24 hours, then. The precedent set by the legislation is the reason Chalk wasn’t quite so gung ho yesterday: the government has never overruled the verdicts of multiple courts before, and MPs and legal experts are concerned that this could have long-term implications that aren’t ideal. But the legislation that Sunak announced at Prime Minister’s Questions (and that Post Office minister Kevin Hollinrake then elaborated on in answer to an urgent question in the Commons afterwards) is going to pass. Labour has been clear that it will support the bill when it comes before MPs because there needs to be unprecedented (that word again) action in response to such a serious scandal.

No political party really benefits from the heat of the past few days, despite attempts from all sides to blame the others. Voters see this as a plague on all houses given the problems with the Horizon IT system started in 1999. The Tories, Labour and SNP are taking aim at Ed Davey, while Conservative chairman Lee Anderson told the Lib Dem leader to ‘clear off’ at Prime Minister’s Questions today. The Lib Dems are arguing that Oliver Dowden has questions to answer – a pretty unconvincing deflection – and are instructing their MPs to send out standard answers to constituents which argue the focus on Davey is unfair as all governments elected since the scandal began had oversight of the Horizon system. Davey’s party, along with Labour, is arguing that not enough was done quickly enough. Sunak is accusing others of trying to politicise the issue. As I say in this review of PMQs, though, the reason the government has moved at pace in the past couple of days is precisely because the scandal became political.

Oh and there was fraud bouncing around hence the need for an IT solution and pen and paper was very difficult to audit, just needed the IT system to be audited at the time by the government of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Added to which the innocent are always adversely effected by the dodgy guilty ones ,which result in new systems and mistakes

International

I think they said the people wrongly convicted have been offered £163K interim payment and the ability to pursue a larger payout, or they can take a full and final offer of £600K, others affected but not wrongly convicted £75K.

I would hope Fujitsu would be liable for compensating/repaying back part of their contract, but I'd guess that it was too long ago now, and the software/project was signed off by the customer so no recourse.

Having said that, they may pay the Govt/PO back what looks like a large sum, and get more than that back through other Govt contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    I would hope Fujitsu would be liable for compensating/repaying back part of their contract, but I'd guess that it was too long ago now, and the software/project was signed off by the customer so no recourse.

Having said that, they may pay the Govt/PO back what looks like a large sum, and get more than that back through other Govt contracts.
    The time line and a suggestion of why they seem to have got off lightly so far.
    https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...ZjmXYvIMU6FYF0

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Alan Bates comes across as humble and the show captured that so well, that is what has helped to get the public behind them. I understand how angry they must be but I think some need to learn from his approach and remain humble, they will start to lose some public sympathy if they start shouting at ministers and demanding millions and saying £600K is not enough. They should leave the solicitors play hardball and get maximum payouts, and continue to portray the hard done by quiet little sub-postmaster image who were smashed by a massive government-backed organisation.
    Your take from all this is that postmasters vilified and jailed should remain humble? Bollox to that, I’d be absolutely frothing at the mouth until all those who covered up this scandal are brought to book and I received millions in compensation.

The boss of Fujitsu at the time of the Horizon scandal was useless Tory Minister Gillian Keegan's husband.

HE knew. SHE knew. THEY knew. A criminal Investigation is required.

I saw the Panorama program on the scandal today. I see it was made in 2022 but I missed it then ( due to my health problems that year I don't remember much of it!) but I found it just as powerful as the drama,perhaps even more so as it showed the real people behind the story.

Leaving aside the appalling behaviour of the Post Office the performance of Fujitsu is obviously dreadful. I am a former computer professional myself (with the Civil Service, BT and the Health Service ) and wonder who on earth designed, wrote and crucially tested this system ( I would say Mickey Mouse,but that is probably an insult to Mickey!)