+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any electricians here?

Any electricians here?

I have a number of current halogen ceiling lights where it appears the transformers - over a long period of time - have failed. I might as well fit LED ones to replace. I WAS going to buy new LED transformers (230v in 12v out) and new light fittings. However I see on Amazon that there are many LED ceiling lights that DO NOT NEED a transformer…taking input 230v directly.
    My question is: If I remove the old, failed transformers, the wiring will not quite meet…so is it ok to simply insert a small (say 20cm) piece of cabling connected with two joiners either end?

Re: Any electricians here?

I'm no electrician, but have fitted loads of LED lights - last for ever, unlike halogen ! If you have 230v. then taking out transformers, you'll have 230v going to the bulbs. Just get a block of connectors to extend wiring..

Re: Any electricians here?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I have a number of current halogen ceiling lights where it appears the transformers - over a long period of time - have failed. I might as well fit LED ones to replace. I WAS going to buy new LED transformers (230v in 12v out) and new light fittings. However I see on Amazon that there are many LED ceiling lights that DO NOT NEED a transformer…taking input 230v directly.
    My question is: If I remove the old, failed transformers, the wiring will not quite meet…so is it ok to simply insert a small (say 20cm) piece of cabling connected with two joiners either end?
    Assuming the wiring for the lights is ok for 240V