+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FA Cup Memories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FA Cup Memories

Start of the run which led to losing to Everton at home in the fifth round. Fourth round was the famous 3-2 win over Wrexham. Billy Ashcroft equalised in the 89th minute and John Buchanan scored the winner almost straight away.

Many thought at the time that it was Cardiff's year to win with it being 50 years since 1927.

Big crowds at Ninian Park for those days in all three games. 27868 v Tottenham, 28,953 v Wrexham and 35,582 v Everton. League average that season was 12 thousand.

The Wrexham game was on Match of the Day as well, but I think that the Everton one wasn't because of a BBC strike.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Start of the run which led to losing to Everton at home in the fifth round. Fourth round was the famous 3-2 win over Wrexham. Billy Ashcroft equalised in the 89th minute and John Buchanan scored the winner almost straight away.

Many thought at the time that it was Cardiff's year to win with it being 50 years since 1927.

Big crowds at Ninian Park for those days in all three games. 27868 v Tottenham, 28,953 v Wrexham and 35,582 v Everton. League average that season was 12 thousand.

The Wrexham game was on Match of the Day as well, but I think that the Everton one wasn't because of a BBC strike.
    I definitely had that feeling.

There's footage of McKenzie's goal in the Everton game somewhere, but I don't recall ever seeing the other goals.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I definitely had that feeling.

There's footage of McKenzie's goal in the Everton game somewhere, but I don't recall ever seeing the other goals.
    Some tremendous defending by Albert Lamour ! I used to play snooker frequently with Alan Campbell. I remember asking him why everyone thought Lamour was a good defender when he wasn't. He replied that he was crap and all the other City players thought the same !

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Some tremendous defending by Albert Lamour ! I used to play snooker frequently with Alan Campbell. I remember asking him why everyone thought Lamour was a good defender when he wasn't. He replied that he was crap and all the other City players thought the same !
    Dorothy Lamour cost us that game.

I was on the Bob Bank and there were many Everton supporters around us. They were terrified of Evans and Alston. (As I remember it!)

Exciting game but we could have won it.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Dorothy Lamour cost us that game.

I was on the Bob Bank and there were many Everton supporters around us. They were terrified of Evans and Alston. (As I remember it!)

Exciting game but we could have won it.

Think Alston was gone by then Rich, we had Robin Friday by then, but he was cup tied and we had Evans, Peter Sayer and David Giles up front - I doubt if any of them were more than five foot nine tall.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post

Fa cup games seemed to have bigger crowds than division one back then