Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Except you basically said it's Westminster holding the purse strings. That isn't correct. It's a combination of the two, and that's very different because it at least shares the blame and responsibility. It's a lack of responsibility and accountability that I think is in part behind the generally poor performance of the successive Welsh govts.

The Welsh Govt could raise additional revenue, but they choose not to (whilst expecting Westminster to do the same). They also choose where to spend the money (on 20mph for example instead of better education or healthcare).

I just don't get why we in Wales are so content letting them off the hook. Our education statistics the other month were appalling. Far worse than England and getting worse
Wales has very limited additional tax raising powers.

It can only vary income tax rates via a referendum and you and I know how the public would vote in such a plebiscite.

It can vary stamp duty (which it does) and landfill tax but neither do, or would, bring in substantial sums.

All other tax and welfare rates are set in Westminster.

More than 80% of the Welsh budget is decided in Westminster.

Unlike Westminster, Wales has no powers to borrow money apart from up to £1bn for very specific reasons and certainly not for day-to-day expenditure. Oh and we have to borrow that from Westminster.

So not really a "combination of the two" James.