+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T New Roof

O/T New Roof

I would like to draw upon the collective wisdom that exists in CCMB. The roof of my house consists of clay tiles dating back to 1928 which, I am advised, are starting to become porous. There is no felting under the original tiles. At some time in the distant past someone applied lime flashing to the underside of the tiles which has all dropped off rendering the roof space filthy and compressing what insulation is up there. So, I need the roof space cleared out, new slates/tiles, felting, insulation and also the roof timbers checking to see if they are ok. As it would be a big job involving a lot of scaffolding I need some professional expertise to spec out the job and advise me what I need before asking contractors to give me a price. The last architect I used for an extension some time ago has retired. Any recommendations as to who might be able to provide the necessary advice ?

Re: O/T New Roof

The most salient advice I can offer is do not use an architect. Put your job on somewhere like trusted trader and you will get at least 3 or 4 enquiries. Once you've seen them all and been given prices, you'll know more about your roof than any architect..

Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The most salient advice I can offer is do not use an architect. Put your job on somewhere like trusted trader and you will get at least 3 or 4 enquiries. Once you've seen them all and been given prices, you'll know more about your roof than any architect..
    My experience of trusted trader not so good. Far better to get recommendations on roofers from this forum and or rom neighbours. I agree about not using architect. From what you've described an experienced roofer would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Where do you live?
    Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Cardiff
    I would guess Rhiwbina, Whitchurch areas, with that type of roof

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Cardiff
    Good reliable roofer is what you need

Years ago everyone used to recommend Camilleri Roofing, they used to be big City fans and advertised in the ground and program.

Might be worth looking into

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I ‘ve seen these guys working and they appear to know what they’re doing. Working at the moment in Windsor Avenue Radyr just around the corner from Radyr Primary school if you want to pop over and take a look

Cardiff and Vale roofing
    https://cardiffandvaleroofing.co.uk/...hoCUb4QAvD_BwE

Berriman

International

Try this guy, a Fairwater boy. He is straight. I know one guy advised by others went to him for a second opinion on changing his guttering and stuff and after he looked her refused to do the work. He told the guy there was nothing wrong with what he had and he wouldn't take his money of him.

theakerroofing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I would guess Rhiwbina, Whitchurch areas, with that type of roof
    Aren't many houses in Llanishen,including both Council estates clay tiles or had that changed by the 50's?

You need to get three or more quotes from reputable, long established roofers. The tiles normally start becoming porous after about 35 years. Forget employing an architect, not really his job. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Aren't many houses in Llanishen,including both Council estates clay tiles or had that changed by the 50's?
    Having checked, I suspect that they were using concrete tiles far more by the time they built the Llanishen Council estates.

May have answered my own question!

Thanks everyone for their helpful suggestions, with a couple of PMs also I have got a way forward