+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snow watch 2024...

snow watch 2024...

supposed to be some heavy snow hitting the uk in the next 8-10 days... scotland and the north obviously hit worst, but its said to not miss out pretty much all over the uk ?

going to be some game disruption for sure...

anyone else hearing whats coming

Re: snow watch 2024...

Middle of next week apparently, the North and Scotland first followed by some snow in the South.

As a sceptic, I'll believe it when it happens, as we've had forecasts of heavy snow before that have never materialised.

The fact that we've had a dusting a couple of days ago does auger well for more snow the deeper into winter we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Middle of next week apparently, the North and Scotland first followed by some snow in the South.

As a sceptic, I'll believe it when it happens, as we've had forecasts of heavy snow before that have never materialised.

The fact that we've had a dusting a couple of days ago does auger well for more snow the deeper into winter we go.
    Auger WELL????? Snow is the last thing we want, horrible stuff!

The uk media do love a snow scare, and to be honest the midlands upwards get a fair share every winter.
    We won’t be affected (as in south wales), we never are and that beast from the east back in 2018 was a complete freak of nature.
    I’d imagine it’ll affect a lot of games around the country but isn’t this the case every season this time of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    supposed to be some heavy snow hitting the uk in the next 8-10 days... scotland and the north obviously hit worst, but its said to not miss out pretty much all over the uk ?

going to be some game disruption for sure...

anyone else hearing whats coming
    Which will come first - snow or a new signing 🤔

Im on my way to stock up on milk and bread you know you all want to join me go on, admit it

A470 is closed, all the Taffies left work an hour and half ago.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Auger WELL????? Snow is the last thing we want, horrible stuff!
    Like Marmite I suppose, you either love it or hate it.

A470 is closed, all the Taffies left work an hour and half ago.
    Just drove through. No snow but the police were cleaning up after an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im on my way to stock up on milk and bread you know you all want to join me go on, admit it
    Quick before you can only buy 4 bog rolls and two packets of pasta

Like Marmite I suppose, you either love it or hate it.
    Great for a day or two but then just annoying as unlike countries that are used to it, everything here just grinds to a holt when the roads cannot be cleared of it

Would be great if it snowed on Christmas Eve, lovely and white on Christmas Day, all gone by Boxing Day morning for the football.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    The uk media do love a snow scare, and to be honest the midlands upwards get a fair share every winter.
    We won’t be affected (as in south wales), we never are and that beast from the east back in 2018 was a complete freak of nature.
    I’d imagine it’ll affect a lot of games around the country but isn’t this the case every season this time of the year?
    The Beast from the East was hardly a freak of nature considering we had a foot of snow only 8 years earlier in December 2010 that lasted well beyond Christmas Day. It tends to be cyclical even allowing for Climate Change so it wouldn't be a complete surprise if we had a few bad winters now and again.

New York gets an average of 30 inches of snow a year. It hasn't snowed more than an inch here in over 700 days. The last significant snowfall I can remember was in February 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    New York gets an average of 30 inches of snow a year. It hasn't snowed more than an inch here in over 700 days. The last significant snowfall I can remember was in February 2021.
    Yep, seems like we haven’t had proper snow in about 2 years.

The Beast from the East was hardly a freak of nature considering we had a foot of snow only 8 years earlier in December 2010 that lasted well beyond Christmas Day. It tends to be cyclical even allowing for Climate Change so it wouldn't be a complete surprise if we had a few bad winters now and again.
    Oh I’m not sure about that, the beast caused mayhem for about a week and to me was a complete freak. Yes I remember that one in 2010 but from memory that only caused minor disruption for a day or two but realistically when else have we (and I’m saying cardiffians) had significant chaos snowfall as the media portray in the last 30 odd years? It’s very few and far between.
    We just don’t get the snow anywhere near as bad as other parts of the uk.

My parents still go on about a huge dollop back in the early 80’s however (I was just a toddler so have no clue) but they say they were digging themselves out the house it was that bad.
    I wonder how the modern day wallflowers would deal with that scenario, it would be like Armageddon!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    everything here just grinds to a holt when the roads cannot be cleared of it
    Mate I’ve been lucky to live & travel globally and this is an exaggeration (urban myth). The biggest single difference is the use of winter tyres.

Snow is for kids it completely screws the country up and creates havoc for the emergency services , travel

Oh I’m not sure about that, the beast caused mayhem for about a week and to me was a complete freak. Yes I remember that one in 2010 but from memory that only caused minor disruption for a day or two but realistically when else have we (and I’m saying cardiffians) had significant chaos snowfall as the media portray in the last 30 odd years? It’s very few and far between.

My parents still go on about a huge dollop back in the early 80’s however (I was just a toddler so have no clue) but they say they were digging themselves out the house it was that bad.
    I wonder how the modern day wallflowers would deal with that scenario, it would be like Armageddon!
    Think it was 82/83, like a dream for a teenager…..beast from the east actually hit very beginning of March I think so was quite late

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Mate I’ve been lucky to live & travel globally and this is an exaggeration (urban myth). The biggest single difference is the use of winter tyres.
    We don’t have snow ploughs here though…..

International

It could be worse, we could be scheduled to play Derby!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We don’t have snow ploughs here though…..
    Imagine the outcry from NorthCardiffBlue if the Senedd spent millions on snow ploughs that were used once every ten years. He’d go deeply drippy!

For snow lovers 1982 was up there with 1963 and for once South Wales (inc Cardiff) took the full brunt of it. It started snowing on Thursday evening and didn't stop till Saturday afternoon.

On the Friday I managed to get to work in Cardiff and afterwards decided to visit my future missus, who was staying with her mum in Newport. A very bad decision as I was stuck there till Tuesday afternoon without a change of clothes before I finally managed to get a train back to Cardiff. The beast from the east was a pussy cat compared to that snowfall.

Imagine the outcry from NorthCardiffBlue if the Senedd spent millions on snow ploughs that were used once every ten years. He’d go deeply drippy!
    I suppose it's the same regarding the purchase of snow tyres. Most of us would change our cars before they would be required on our existing model.

As any weather bod will admit the accuracy of a forecast drops off alot beyond 3-4 days so I'll wait for the weekend before I start panic buying.