Thread: New station at St Mellons...

New station at St Mellons...

...likely to be put off again.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67980860

Will this EVER happen??

Re: New station at St Mellons...

NCB in 3...2...1

I know what the WAG are against, but what are they actually for?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    NCB in 3...2...1
    I hope the station goes ahead but what have the National Coal Board got to do with it ?

Rolls Royce looking to invest too

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...space-28458142

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Would be brilliant for the east Mozz, quality Jobs, decent Wedge and a transport link as a Brucie Bonus. It's that good a prospect, the Welsh Gov. will f@ck it up without doubt and it'll end up on the other side of the Severn.

There's been several stories about how good this development will be over the last few days, clearly someone is pushing hard to try to get it through - or they are very worried that it isn't going to be approved.

It seems as though it was approved once, but now they have raised the bar of how strong the case needs to be to build over a SSSI - I think in recent years the Welsh Government are trying to force themselves to consider the longer term and not just short term gain, and once an SSSI is built over it is one forever.

That said i hope it does go through and that the business case is compelling enough to overrule the damage to the SSSI.

I was surprised that one of the plane included a 15 storey building, surely that will just sink into the swamp around there

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There's been several stories about how good this development will be over the last few days, clearly someone is pushing hard to try to get it through - or they are very worried that it isn't going to be approved.

It seems as though it was approved once, but now they have raised the bar of how strong the case needs to be to build over a SSSI - I think in recent years the Welsh Government are trying to force themselves to consider the longer term and not just short term gain, and once an SSSI is built over it is one forever.

That said i hope it does go through and that the business case is compelling enough to overrule the damage to the SSSI.

I was surprised that one of the plane included a 15 storey building, surely that will just sink into the swamp around there
    Suppose i better ask what an SSSI is

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Suppose i better ask what an SSSI is
    site of special scientific interest

probably means there are some newts living there or something

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    site of special scientific interest

probably means there are some newts living there or something
    Ah ok, i think we should protect it then. Build elsewhere

Of course they are, what are they going to do when private car ownership and commercial flights are banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Of course they are, what are they going to do when private car ownership and commercial flights are banned?
    they manufacture parts not just for automobile and passenger airlines but lots of military stuff too and the UK one of the biggest exporter of military products in the world right now !

UK Arms sales has doubled from £4.1B in 2021 to 8.5B in 2022. War is good for business (some might say)

The Middle East is the largest market for UK defence exports. No surprise there !!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    ...likely to be put off again.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67980860

Will this EVER happen??
    The Labour run Cardiff Council have been purporting this will be a new 'thing' for years - usually at local election times. And it has never happened - and looking likely it will never happen. Mainly thanks to a dodgy Labour run council team - Caro Wild , Hugh Thomas and others.

South of St Mellons and to Newport is marshland , reclaimed from the sea hundreds of years ago

The canals over that way ....called reens ..
    are incredibly important areas for animals, plants and fish

They are our own little version of Holland

The west country has the Somerset levels and drains , the east of England has the fens

Some kind of balance between building for the future and protecting the environment and plants and animals is the only way to sort these things out

The M4 relief road would have screwed up the environment so it was right to reject it but improved road and rail links are obviously going to have to be provided , in some way

another article about it on BBC news, someone is really pushing for this