+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Louis Rees-Zammit quits rugby for NFL with immediate effect

Re: Louis Rees-Zammit quits rugby for NFL with immediate effect

A loss for us but i hope he suceeds, i'll be following his story with interest

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Catcher or runner
    none the wiser..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    OK, I understand the temporary love-in for the stupidest game on the planet, but can we please avoid the acronyms..
    Not really a temporary love in for me, I played in the British league for 3 seasons in the mid 80s. Not the stupidest game in my opinion, certainly the most physical.

WR = wide receiver, the guy who tries to catch the ball & score, similar to an attacking winger in rugby
    CB = corner back, the guy who tries to stop the WR catching the ball, i.e. a defender

Daft move if you ask me / and a real sucker punch for Wales rugby

why is this on the main forum?

First Team

Most of the experts seem to think that he will be back in rugby by next season.
    The cynic in me thinks that the NFL see this as a big and useful publicity stunt in an effort to widen the exposure to the game at minimal financial cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    why is this on the main forum?
    Why have you even opened the thread and posted on it if you aren’t interested in RU ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    OK, I understand the temporary love-in for the stupidest game on the planet, but can we please avoid the acronyms..
    Not acronyms. Initialisms. You know what a CM, DM, LB, RB is right? And if you don't care, don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not acronyms. Initialisms. You know what a CM, DM, LB, RB is right? And if you don't care, don't ask.
    Craig Middleton, Don Murray, Lee Baddeley & Ronnie Bird. Do I win anything

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    I really hope he makes it, but it's a tough ask. Jordan Mailata is the only player I can think of who's come through the IPPP and been a real success.
    Mailata has been a big success. He's big, even by NFL standards. His rugby league career has ensured he's got the pace and stamina that other linemen can only wish for.
    If I was his coach I'd be tempted to play him as a running-back in 4th-down situations, he'd take some stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Craig Middleton, Don Murray, Lee Baddeley & Ronnie Bird. Do I win anything
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    He'll be a small fish in a big pond but I agree, good on him. What has he got to lose?
    playing the worst sport in the world apart from synchronized swimming. Imagine a two minute break every three minutes for advertising in a football match

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Why have you even opened the thread and posted on it if you aren’t interested in RU ?
    egg chasing is a dying sport. players getting head injuries, the game dull to watch with all the ping pong kicking, re-set scrums.

i remember the halcyon days of the 70's.

LRZ is in it for the money and can't blame him. whereas I used to be interested in welsh rugby and been to many internationals right now I'm not that bothered.

CCFC is where my heart is.

He will make money if he just makes it onto a teams practice squad than he would if continued playing rugby.

I always love how quick to comment the people who don't know anything about American football are. If you don't like or watch it, why comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    He will make money if he just makes it onto a teams practice squad than he would if continued playing rugby.

I always love how quick to comment the people who don't know anything about American football are. If you don't like or watch it, why comment?
    He will probably make less, a quick google search shows practice squad players make a max of $216,000 vs his salary at Gloucester which was reported to be approximately £225,000. He could've almost certainly earned more than that in rugby if he'd gone and played in France or Japan.

However the practice squad salary is certainly worth the gamble, should he get signed to one. As the most high profile athlete to go through that international programme, I'll be surprised if he isn't.

It's probably worth the gamble for him. He's still young, if it doesn't work the WRU will likely welcome him back for the 2027 WC

More concerning is losing talent like Feyi-Waboso and the way the WRU have handled it

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    the way the WRU have handled it
    Not exactly a surprise though, is it

The new rules regarding pathway recruits means that NFL teams can have one player for practically free, thanks to NFL subsidies. Good luck to him, if he makes the 53 man roster on any team it will be a huge achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    The new rules regarding pathway recruits means that NFL teams can have one player for practically free, thanks to NFL subsidies. Good luck to him, if he makes the 53 man roster on any team it will be a huge achievement.
    Hopefully he makes a go of it. I watched a few games last season and I'll be watching more this year if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Hopefully he makes a go of it. I watched a few games last season and I'll be watching more this year if I can.
    Good luck to the kid. I watch it every week, highly recommend NFL Redzone - Scott Hanson is a great presenter and shows all the highlights live with no adverts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Good luck to the kid. I watch it every week, highly recommend NFL Redzone - Scott Hanson is a great presenter and shows all the highlights live with no adverts.
    I will have a look for it, thank you.

He’s signing for The Chiefs! Word is as an RB/WR.

I’m still skeptical but If Andy Reid and team have seen something in him and in a Mahomes/LRZ combo that could be a great landing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Most of the experts seem to think that he will be back in rugby by next season.
    The cynic in me thinks that the NFL see this as a big and useful publicity stunt in an effort to widen the exposure to the game at minimal financial cost.
    This.
    The NFL are sponsoring ‘pathway’ athletes this year, so it’s a shot to nothing for the franchises, and massive publicity boost….we’re even talking about it on here !

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    He’s signing for The Chiefs! Word is as an RB/WR.

I’m still skeptical but If Andy Reid and team have seen something in him and in a Mahomes/LRZ combo that could be a great landing spot.
    IMO it’s all about marketing and selling the idea of the NFL to wider audiences. Similar to the New York Jets receiving the rights to Ireland as part of the NFLs Global Markets Program

The Chiefs can carry an IPP player because they’re not on the 53 player roster. LRZ may make an appearance in a special play but it would be a huge development to see him named in a match day squad/team