Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Louis Rees-Zammit quits rugby for NFL with immediate effect

Re: Louis Rees-Zammit quits rugby for NFL with immediate effect

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    He's joining a Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute Band
    Sweet Home Gabalfa

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO it’s all about marketing and selling the idea of the NFL to wider audiences. Similar to the New York Jets receiving the rights to Ireland as part of the NFLs Global Markets Program

The Chiefs can carry an IPP player because they’re not on the 53 player roster. LRZ may make an appearance in a special play but it would be a huge development to see him named in a match day squad/team
    can't see him getting any serious game time, as others have said he's a marketing tool now.
    he's an impressive athlete and undoubtedly talented, but he's up against just as talented athletes who have been playing this game for years

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO it’s all about marketing and selling the idea of the NFL to wider audiences. Similar to the New York Jets receiving the rights to Ireland as part of the NFLs Global Markets Program

The Chiefs can carry an IPP player because they’re not on the 53 player roster. LRZ may make an appearance in a special play but it would be a huge development to see him named in a match day squad/team
    So you’re skeptical too😜

I'll be very surprised if he makes the 53-man roster. He'll either get cut, or moved to the practice squad. I went to see a Jets pre-season game last year, before the roster deadline. Teams can keep 90 players until then and it looked like every one one of them was suited up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'll be very surprised if he makes the 53-man roster. He'll either get cut, or moved to the practice squad. I went to see a Jets pre-season game last year, before the roster deadline. Teams can keep 90 players until then and it looked like every one one of them was suited up.
    Only thing working for him is the Chiefs are weak at both RB and WR potentially this season, if Mahomes decides he likes him that could be the difference.

I foresee him back in Rugby by the next world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Only thing working for him is the Chiefs are weak at both RB and WR potentially this season, if Mahomes decides he likes him that could be the difference.

I foresee him back in Rugby by the next world cup.
    Isn’t he on triple his salary already

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Something like that. However I doubt he’ll get kept on practice squads for that long, and doubt even less as an elite athlete he’ll want to.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    No he needs to make the roster for the squad.

At the moment they just have him as their player for a free spot from the pathway program.

I know next to nothing about the sport.

Do practice squad fodder usually get 3 year deals?

Is it a sign they think longer term they may be able to do something with him or are the contracts about as significant as a football managers over here?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Is it a sign they think longer term they may be able to do something with him or are the contracts about as significant as a football managers over here?
    I think Christian Wade the England International was in the NFL 3 seasons and didnt play a single game other than preseason.

talking of NFL contracts

Mahomes ( his teammate ) is on a 10 year deal with $450 Mill, $63 Mill signing bonus, and I guess importanlty $141 million in guarantees for injury ( though he does take very good care of himself, he training program is mental, his trainer put him in a type of cage and manipulates his body to strange angles and shapes so if he gets hit on the field he has less chance of injury

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

A 3-year deal doesn't mean a thing. They can cut him at any time. He has "some guaranteed money".