+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Being in front and behind in games this season

Being in front and behind in games this season

Over the course of the season we've spent a total of 557 minutes ahead in games and 657 minutes behind. Some might not be that interested in such a stat, but closer examination is more startling.

There have been 5 occasions out of 16 where we've led in games and not won them. We've picked up points in 3 out of 15 games when we've been behind. It might be encouraging to consider that, we've only drawn one game when we've been behind, but won 2.

When we beat Coventry City at home in our 7th game this season, we'd been in front for a total of 235 minutes - by this point we had been in front in games for an average of almost 34 minutes per game. At the same point we'd been behind in games for a total of only 88 minutes.

If we move forward to the defeat to Norwich City, we had spent a total of 461 minutes ahead in games, compared with only 184 minutes behind in games, from the start of the season.

Since we lost to Norwich, we've played 11 league games. In those games we've been in front for a total of 96 minutes, yet we've trailed for a total of 473. On average, we've been in front for 8.7 minutes since Norwich, but behind for 43 minutes per game.

It's quite a transformation from earlier in the season. In our first 16 games, Norwich included, 12 of our 25 goals (48%) were scored in the first half. Since then, 2 of our 9 goals have been first half goals (22%). QPR was the first game since Bristol City (13 matches) where we'd been ahead for more than 45 minutes (and won).

Re: Being in front and behind in games this season

If you are on Facebook you should find the Dull Men's Club group, they'd love this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    If you are on Facebook you should find the Dull Men's Club group, they'd love this sort of thing.
    Several on here who like it as well. You might not find it interesting, but let's not go down the route you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Several on here who like it as well. You might not find it interesting, but let's not go down the route you have.
    It wasn't a criticism. I enjoy your posts. It just occurred to me that you could have a wider audience.

Am I right in thinking then that the QPR game represents about half of the time we’ve been ahead in our last eleven league games? Also, don’t forget that we were behind for all but a minute of our game in the FA Cup as well

It wasn't a criticism. I enjoy your posts. It just occurred to me that you could have a wider audience.
    Fair enough! I took it the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Am I right in thinking then that the QPR game represents about half of the time we’ve been ahead in our last eleven league games? Also, don’t forget that we were behind for all but a minute of our game in the FA Cup as well
    You would be right. 54% of our "ahead" time in our last 11 games was at QPR.

In one way it say something about our resolve that we've won 4 of our last 11 given how infrequently we've been in front in games, but it surely also shows how negative we've become.

We certainly have resolve, I suspect the negative aspects of our game is derived from a lack of confidence and quality.

There are some brilliant stories on there. One I liked this week was a guy who catches a bus from south London to central London every day. The journey is of the order of an hour, on a double decker, and he decided to sit in a different seat each day until he had sat in them all. He found the window seats easy to get, because the bus is fairly empty when he gets on, but aisle seats are more difficult because later passengers would ask him to move to the window seat. He put a map up showing the few he still needs to get.

Do you know if this was pre or post covid?