+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC In Spotlight Again Covid Exaggeration

BBC In Spotlight Again Covid Exaggeration

BBC ‘misrepresented’ Covid risk to boost lockdown support, inquiry told
    Eminent epidemiologist Prof Mark Woolhouse criticised corporation for reporting rare deaths among healthy adults as the norm during pandemic

Simon Johnson,
    SCOTTISH POLITICAL EDITOR
    25 January 2024 • 11:47am
    A man wears a mask in front of BBC Broadcasting House in London
    The BBC was allowed to “misrepresent” the risk posed by Covid to most people to boost public support for lockdown, the UK Covid Inquiry has heard.

Prof Mark Woolhouse, an eminent epidemiologist and government adviser, lambasted the corporation for having “repeatedly reported rare deaths or illnesses among healthy adults as if they were the norm”.

He said this created the “misleading impression” among BBC News viewers at the start of the pandemic that “we are all at risk” and “the virus does not discriminate”.

In reality, he said it was known at the time that the risk of dying from Covid was 10,000 times higher in the over-75s than the under-15s.

But Prof Woolhouse told the inquiry the BBC did not correct its reporting, saying: “I suspect this misinformation was allowed to stand throughout 2020 because it provided a justification for locking down the entire population..

Re: BBC In Spotlight Again Covid Exaggeration

where have you copied and pasted that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    where have you copied and pasted that from?
    You probably won’t be surprised to learn that Simon Johnson is the Scottish political editor of the Daily Telegraph.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You probably won’t be surprised to learn that Simon Johnson is the Scottish political editor of the Daily Telegraph.
    Does that discredit what he's saying? Lockdown caused some very serious issues for many people Bob. Surely it's wise to be open minded about whether mistakes were made, no?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Does that discredit what he's saying? Lockdown caused some very serious issues for many people Bob. Surely it's wise to be open minded about whether mistakes were made, no?
    You haven’t half read an awful, awful lot into one sentence there.

You haven’t half read an awful, awful lot into one sentence there.
    I dunno, it sounded like saying the newspaper he works for was a means to discredit it! Apologies if wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    BBC ‘misrepresented’ Covid risk to boost lockdown support, inquiry told
    Eminent epidemiologist Prof Mark Woolhouse criticised corporation for reporting rare deaths among healthy adults as the norm during pandemic

Simon Johnson,
    SCOTTISH POLITICAL EDITOR
    25 January 2024 • 11:47am
    A man wears a mask in front of BBC Broadcasting House in London
    The BBC was allowed to “misrepresent” the risk posed by Covid to most people to boost public support for lockdown, the UK Covid Inquiry has heard.

Prof Mark Woolhouse, an eminent epidemiologist and government adviser, lambasted the corporation for having “repeatedly reported rare deaths or illnesses among healthy adults as if they were the norm”.

He said this created the “misleading impression” among BBC News viewers at the start of the pandemic that “we are all at risk” and “the virus does not discriminate”.

In reality, he said it was known at the time that the risk of dying from Covid was 10,000 times higher in the over-75s than the under-15s.

But Prof Woolhouse told the inquiry the BBC did not correct its reporting, saying: “I suspect this misinformation was allowed to stand throughout 2020 because it provided a justification for locking down the entire population..
    Shock horror Gov lying

Anyone with any common sense knew that was the case at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Shock horror Gov lying
    Come on mate

Shock horror Tories Lying

you know the CCMB rules

I dunno, it sounded like saying the newspaper he works for was a means to discredit it! Apologies if wrong!
    It’s an anti BBC story presenting a particular view of the pandemic - put that with who started this thread and the fact it was from the Telegraph was hardly a shock.

It’s an anti BBC story presenting a particular view of the pandemic - put that with who started this thread and the fact it was from the Telegraph was hardly a shock.
    No surprise there.

Absolutely, usual biased crap from the Torygraph

Bit of a pointless thread really. The same people who believed everything about the covid crisis, even the things that were wrong, are going to believe everything about the climate crisis, even the things that turn out to be wrong. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

He's an epidemiologist from Bristol Uni isn't he?

The BBCs role in the country came to prominence in Covid, with the news, the daily briefings etc. I think it's fair to scrutinize them alongside the govt.

Personally I think they were poor in properly talking about the issues generally

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Anyone with any common sense knew that was the case at the time.
    But only a few were prepared to put their cock on a block and call it out for what it was, look at the abuse we got from the CCMB squad!!!! 🤣

The Telegraph story are just calling out the BBC for misinformation, funny how you are fine your “ go to news source” doing that

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    The Telegraph story are just calling out the BBC for misinformation, funny how you are fine your “ go to news source” doing that
    Mind-boggling logic, and that's why this country is totally fcuked, and it's only going to get worse!

You and the usual suspects are jumping to conclusions there, I have the sort of opinion of the Telegraph that the independent thinkers on here do of the Guardian, but I’ve made no comment either way on the validity of the story - I’ve just said it’s the sort of story the Telegraph would print.

You and the usual suspects are jumping to conclusions there, I have the sort of opinion of the Telegraph that the independent thinkers on here do of the Guardian, but I’ve made no comment either way on the validity of the story - I’ve just said it’s the sort of story the Telegraph would print.
    Your claim against the Telegraph is irrelevant when you consider the health secretary at the time was quoted is saying he wanted “ to scare the pants off people” , which is what the Telegraph are saying in this article about the BBC.

It’s as though you can’t accept that the “critical thinking crew” on here have been correct about most aspects and you take it personally.

It’s seems like you’re becoming accountable for the things you ( and others ) took great delight in during the pandemic calling out critical thinking voices in a derogatory way. ( have a quick scan of the coronavirus thread on here )

At least critical thinking people stuck to their own beliefs and principles despite the vitriol and bullying.

Your claim against the Telegraph is irrelevant when you consider the health secretary at the time was quoted is saying he wanted “ to scare the pants off people” , which is what the Telegraph are saying in this article about the BBC.

It’s as though you can’t accept that the “critical thinking crew” on here have been correct about most aspects and you take it personally.

It’s seems like you’re becoming accountable for the things you ( and others ) took great delight in during the pandemic calling out critical thinking voices in a derogatory way. ( have a quick scan of the coronavirus thread on here )

At least critical thinking people stuck to their own beliefs and principles despite the vitriol and bullying.
    What claim against the Telegraph? You don't seem to be able to accept that all I've done in this thread is read a post and say it doesn't surprise me that it contains a story which appeared in that paper - I've said nothing about the opinions contained in the story.

Who knows what you were saying on here in early 2020, but other independent thinkers (who, strangely, all think the same things) were constantly making fools of themselves at that time as they went from pillar to post seizing on anything they could to vindicate their beliefs (or what they believed on any given day at least).

All they were doing was proving that thinking you are right and actually being right are two completely different things.

What claim against the Telegraph? You don't seem to be able to accept that all I've done in this thread is read a post and say it doesn't surprise me that it contains a story which appeared in that paper - I've said nothing about the opinions contained in the story.

Who knows what you were saying on here in early 2020, but other independent thinkers (who, strangely, all think the same things) were constantly making fools of themselves at that time as they went from pillar to post seizing on anything they could to vindicate their beliefs (or what they believed on any given day at least).

All they were doing was proving that thinking you are right and actually being right are two completely different things.
    So, what you’re saying is anyone with a different opinion to you are fools then. Clearly at the time that is what you and many others thought ( and they were easy targets) but it became obvious that the same critical thinking crowds views are now becoming increasingly prevalent among the silent majority.
    Deal with it.

"The BBC are trying to scare us, they never report on the thousands of dormant volcanos, only the ones erupting."

So, what you’re saying is anyone with a different opinion to you are fools then. Clearly at the time that is what you and many others thought ( and they were easy targets) but it became obvious that the same critical thinking crowds views are now becoming increasingly prevalent among the silent majority.
    Deal with it.
    Again, putting words in my mouth - what I'm saying is the world was a completely different place four years ago and some people are making no allowance for that as they, first, ignore all of the stuff they were getting wrong at that time and then say I told you so when the inevitable consequences of policies thought up and decisions taken on the hoof while people all over the world were dying of a new disease become apparent further down the line. You and others like you seem to believe that anyone who doesn't share your opinions were incapable of seeing that there could be prices to be paid for the measures used to control Covid when it first hit, a time when doing nothing was not an option, are unthinking morons prepared to accept anything they're told by their Governments - they're not, but most were prepared to accept that drastic measures were required at the time Covid first hit the UK and the rest of Europe.

Again, putting words in my mouth - what I'm saying is the world was a completely different place four years ago and some people are making no allowance for that as they, first, ignore all of the stuff they were getting wrong at that time and then say I told you so when the inevitable consequences of policies thought up and decisions taken on the hoof while people all over the world were dying of a new disease become apparent further down the line. You and others like you seem to believe that anyone who doesn't share your opinions were incapable of seeing that there could be prices to be paid for the measures used to control Covid when it first hit, a time when doing nothing was not an option, are unthinking morons prepared to accept anything they're told by their Governments - they're not, but most were prepared to accept that drastic measures were required at the time Covid first hit the UK and the rest of Europe.
    It was obvious to some when the leading political figures involved (Ferguson and Cummings) broke the rules. They would have known about the consequences of their actions and the repercussions for their families and colleagues health by doing so , yet they didn’t feel they were in danger.

The fact that PCR positivity alone (or other tests) in symptomatic people without any reference to viral load or the properties of the test were all classed as Covid only shows why people were sceptical.We will probably never know what else was circulating at the time, it could have been flu or something similar.

At the end of 2022, over 6.5 billion SARs-CoV-2 tests were done worldwide, pretty close to a test for everyone on the planet if you count all discarded. The US had done over a billion, the highest of any country; the UK, half a billion. Such use, on an industrial scale, is unprecedented and has helped distort perceptions..

Identifying the source of an article is an important part of appraising what is being said.
    Especially on a topic like covid and or the BBC, much of the media in this country don't exactly play with a straight bat when it comes to the latter.