+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Monkhouse's last live show on iplayer

Re: Bob Monkhouse's last live show on iplayer

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Who remembers the Golden Shot when it first aired in 1967 with Jackie Rae and Heinz the bolt? Heinz was brought to the UK being the ‘bolt loader’ from the original German version. There were actually three different Bernies throughout the ‘Bernie’ era.
    I do

The thing was, there were only two channels in those days, and even when BBC2 started, many people couldn't get it because it needed a new aerial (change from 405 lines to 625 lines - that's how the B&W picture was broadcast).
    Ann Astone was hot, but we never knew whether she genuinely thick or it was an act.
    I just looked up her biog - she admitted mental arithmetic was a struggle. Born Anne Lloyd, had to change it to Aston (Where GS was filmed) as there was another Anne Lloyd in showbiz.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I always thought he was a bit creepy and oily
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Probably well over 30 years ago I was talking with someone who worked in the New Theatre and he said Monkhouse was the most odious tw@t they’d ever met there. Sid James however was apparently a top bloke who was happy in the company of everyone.
    BM always seemed a bit creepy on TV, but contestants aften said he was really a top bloke who calmed their nerves and really wanted them to do well.

Man City have just gone 3-2 up at Palace on The Big Match revisited, I’m staying in now for a few hours for The Golden Shot revisited

Different times eh, two iconic game shows, most probably the biggest of the week, screened during that Sunday afternoon slot. Golden Shot & Bullseye. Pubs shut at 2pm, The Big Match when having your dinner, then the game shows. One time of the week when the family were together at home I s’pose. Strange how in those years I always remember being out playing football, cricket or just generally messing about yet I remember being in watching these shows. Perhaps I could be in two places at one time during those halcyon days
    There was usually a film on too. Sundays we were weird as **** in the '70s. Everything was closed. Farming Diary on the telly. The Addams family at 11:30am if you were lucky. Does anyone remember that show "Wait 'til Your Father Get's Home"? WTF?

My parents went to see BM many years ago (would have been over50 years)
    in London, filthy, crude as F, the verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There was usually a film on too. Sundays we were weird as **** in the '70s. Everything was closed. Farming Diary on the telly. The Addams family at 11:30am if you were lucky. Does anyone remember that show "Wait 'til Your Father Get's Home"? WTF?
    Your ‘everything was closed’ line hit home. Thinking about it now, do we really need all shops and supermarkets open on a Sunday? Leisure places, yes, people do need to have down time from work and I’d feel for the poor buggers working in that industry. There’s enough time in the week with big stores open until late on weekdays for customers to stock up, does everyone’s fridge and freezer really need topping up on a Sunday?

It was good to see some shops closed and giving their staff Boxing Day off the other week!, it’s only fair, surely everyone had enough stuff in to scrape through one day.

Younger folk won’t remember when Sunday was a lot more relaxed and not just another hectic day. I sometimes think the days of a Sunday ‘off’ were better all around, certainly for family life and recharging your batteries for the week ahead. Perhaps I’m just an old fart hankering for the past but in my opinion some ways were better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    But did you like The Golden Shot? Bernie the Bolt, Ann Aston? What's not to like?
    Liked the one from the halfway line

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Micheal McCyntyre is another oily entertainer
    Just oily

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Liked the one from the halfway line
    Ann Aston had one from the halfway line? Bernie must have put some oooomph into that.

Who remembers the Golden Shot when it first aired in 1967 with Jackie Rae and Heinz the bolt? Heinz was brought to the UK being the ‘bolt loader’ from the original German version. There were actually three different Bernies throughout the ‘Bernie’ era.
    Can't remember who was presenting it first time I saw it. I remember I wanted us to have a Trimphone.

Your ‘everything was closed’ line hit home. Thinking about it now, do we really need all shops and supermarkets open on a Sunday? Leisure places, yes, people do need to have down time from work and I’d feel for the poor buggers working in that industry. There’s enough time in the week with big stores open until late on weekdays for customers to stock up, does everyone’s fridge and freezer really need topping up on a Sunday?

It was good to see some shops closed and giving their staff Boxing Day off the other week!, it’s only fair, surely everyone had enough stuff in to scrape through one day.

Younger folk won’t remember when Sunday was a lot more relaxed and not just another hectic day. I sometimes think the days of a Sunday ‘off’ were better all around, certainly for family life and recharging your batteries for the week ahead. Perhaps I’m just an old fart hankering for the past but in my opinion some ways were better.
    Back in the 70s, a good portion of my Dad’s Sunday morning was taken up by him doing the Sunday morning shopping. Looking back, I don’t understand why it had to be done at that time when it could have been done on the previous day, but it always had to be on a Sunday. We lived in Pentrebane right on the edge of the City and my Dad’s shopping trip consisted of either a drive to Rhiwbina or to Neville Street in Canton - the one in Rhiwbina was probably closer, but it would take much longer because it always had a long queue waiting to be served which at times stretched out on to the street.

One thing I’ve found since I stopped working is that sometimes days can all merge into one to the extent that it’s hard to remember what day it is, but back in the 60s and 70s you always knew when it was a Sunday, it had a completely different feel to it and, like you, I feel the old style “day of rest” had its good points.