+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 32 stadiums that no longer exist

32 stadiums that no longer exist

Re: 32 stadiums that no longer exist

Very selective list, notably missing NP, Derby's Baseball ground, Somerton Park ( ), the Vetch ...

How many others (UK only)

White Hart Lane
    The Goldstone Ground
    Eastville
    Doncaster ???
    Stoke ????
    Rotherham ????
    Brain freeze

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    White Hart Lane
    The Goldstone Ground
    Eastville
    Doncaster ???
    Stoke ????
    Rotherham ????
    Brain freeze
    One of my coldest days ever at a football match at the Brain Freeze Arena

Fir Park and Sophia Gardens are a couple of our old grounds, we also played a few friendlies at the Harlequins Ground in Roath, Middlesbrough and Bristol City two of the clubs we played there. Apparently the teams got changed in The Royal Oak and walked over to the pitch. I sometimes imagine the great Steve Bloomer walking across Newport Rd in his kit.

There’s loads of old grounds that are gone, too many to list, e.g. Norwich have had at least three, The Nest being a favourite name of mine for one of them. Arsenal, of course, played south of the river on a few grounds before moving north, even after their Dial Square days. I love looking through clubs’ histories unearthing their origins, so interesting how our game took a hold on the country and then the world.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There’s loads of old grounds that are gone, too many to list, e.g. Norwich have had at least three, The Nest being a favourite name of mine for one of them. Arsenal, of course, played south of the river on a few grounds before moving north, even after their Dial Square days. I love looking through clubs’ histories unearthing their origins, so interesting how our game took a hold on the country and then the world.
    Wankdorf Stadium - Young Boys, Sui😂

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Wankdorf Stadium - Young Boys, Sui��
    Knew there would be one schoolboy humour in there

The Central Stadium (Dinamo Tbilisi) was closed the same year (1976) that the City played against Tbilisi. They instead played at the Dinamo Arena, where the official attendance was given as 80,000.

I did a grounds picture quiz in the blog years ago which featured the Nest. I’d not heard of it before and was amazed that league football could ever be played there - pretty sure the photo in this piece is the one I used - the article is well worth a read.

http://liberalengland.blogspot.com/2...d-at-nest.html

Watched this interesting video about Arsenal’s origins a couple of weeks ago. I’d heard of Dial Square, but the fact you can have a pint there came as a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I did a grounds picture quiz in the blog years ago which featured the Nest. I’d not heard of it before and was amazed that league football could ever be played there - pretty sure the photo in this piece is the one I used - the article is well worth a read.

http://liberalengland.blogspot.com/2...d-at-nest.html

Watched this interesting video about Arsenal’s origins a couple of weeks ago. I’d heard of Dial Square, but the fact you can have a pint there came as a surprise.

Isn't there a photo somewhere showing the sheer cliff face at one end of The Nest? I’m sure I’ve seen one somewhere.

Isn't there a photo somewhere showing the sheer cliff face at one end of The Nest? I’m sure I’ve seen one somewhere.
    There’s an incredible photo I’d not seen before at the top of this article.

https://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/thenest

That is probably the one I remember Paul, for some reason I recalled it being higher. Still, what a unique ground eh.

Interesting read towards the end of that article that Thames FC (our league record score, 9-2, was against them) played at the 120,000 capacity West Ham Stadium (a stadium that had nothing to do with West Ham United). Love anecdotes like this.

Interesting read towards the end of that article that Thames FC (our league record score, 9-2, was against them) played at the 120,000 capacity West Ham Stadium (a stadium that had nothing to do with West Ham United). Love anecdotes like this.
    Here’s the grounds quiz I mentioned, it features a photo of Thames FC’s ground.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/the-g...birthday-quiz/

Here’s the grounds quiz I mentioned, it features a photo of Thames FC’s ground.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/the-g...birthday-quiz/

I have seen that one SP. Mad in it. I just could not imagine a player hammering down the wing near it.
    Spedger

There is a newish estate to the north of Southampton which has roads named after stadia (@SP ) including many long gone....

Football grounds.jpg

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Seals of Sealand Road (Chester City)

The Lawn (Forest Green Rovers)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    There is a newish estate to the north of Southampton which has roads named after stadia (@SP ) including many long gone....

Football grounds.jpg
    Lived in Southampton when The The Dell was still there, flats now built on the site are named after Channon , Le Tissier Stokes etc

Leckwith inter Cardiff[

My childhood haunt, all gone now…
    IMG_3386.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    My childhood haunt, all gone now…
    IMG_3386.jpg
    Is that Coychurch Rd?

Is that Coychurch Rd?
    Yes, that’s right. I lived behind it and used to sneak through ‘the woods’ (actually five trees) and clamber over the wall