+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United Ireland 'within touching distance' (Sinn Fein)

United Ireland 'within touching distance' (Sinn Fein)

I hope they're right.

Not sure what the odds are, but much better than for an independent Scotland (or Wales)!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-stormont-deal

Re: United Ireland 'within touching distance' (Sinn Fein)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I hope they're right.

Not sure what the odds are, but much better than for an independent Scotland (or Wales)!

Slightly off but on topic!!!, I did the Ireland pre-season tour quite a few years ago and left with not a very favourable opinion of the Irish, found them to be rude and unpleasant, also did 3 months in the north (Downpatrick, bandit County )around 1981/1982 time, but didn't get off base much due to the obvious at the time so never really formed any opinion, very recently got back from some time in Belfast, the people I thought absolutely brilliant, so friendly and helpful, it's bloody expensive, taxi driver yesterday indicating that Belfast has become such a tourist Destination, the locals making hay without the sun shining!!!!. Share your enthusiasm for a peaceful United Ireland.

Why would you hope they are right?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Just one massive bonus would be to get the DUP out of British politics. Poor dears will miss their bungs when they report to Dublin.

Because I want to see a united Ireland. Obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Slightly off but on topic!!!, I did the Ireland pre-season tour quite a few years ago and left with not a very favourable opinion of the Irish, found them to be rude and unpleasant, also did 3 months in the north (Downpatrick, bandit County )around 1981/1982 time, but didn't get off base much due to the obvious at the time so never really formed any opinion, very recently got back from some time in Belfast, the people I thought absolutely brilliant, so friendly and helpful, it's bloody expensive, taxi driver yesterday indicating that Belfast has become such a tourist Destination, the locals making hay without the sun shining!!!!. Share your enthusiasm for a peaceful United Ireland.
    We went back to Belfast for the first time in over 40 years last year. What a change!

The people were brilliant, but the recent history is still there for all to see. One day we were at the amazing Titanic museum. The next in a black cab tour of west Belfast with the 'peace gates', the wall murals, the security netting, the commemorative gardens.

Also spent 4-5 days walking the Antrim Coast which was so much more than the Giants Causeway and the other (often Game Of Thrones) tourist sites.

We went back to Belfast for the first time in over 40 years last year. What a change!

The people were brilliant, but the recent history is still there for all to see. One day we were at the amazing Titanic museum. The next in a black cab tour of west Belfast with the 'peace gates', the wall murals, the security netting, the commemorative gardens.

Also spent 4-5 days walking the Antrim Coast which was so much more than the Giants Causeway and the other (often Game Of Thrones) tourist sites.
    I could see the Titanic museum from my Hotel window and from my place of work, no time off, 7 x 12 shifts thus no visit

Because I want to see a united Ireland. Obviously!
    Why?

Why?
    Because Ireland is Ireland and should all have achieved independence over a century ago. Unity would help to repair the damage of partition.

Because the 6 county statelet has been a bastion of discrimination and prejudice for most of its existence - and the incubator of some of the most reactionary ideas and values in the UK.

Because the population of Northern Ireland is now more nationalist than unionist - and for those who have a religious faith Catholicism has more adherents than Protestantism. Not that religious faith is a reliable measure of political aspiration.

Because it would strengthen the cause of progressives and 'Europeans' and weaken reactionaries and Little Englanders.

If I lived in Ireland (north or south) I would support a united Ireland and vote Sinn Fein.

Finally, a united Ireland would annoy a lot of people on this board that I want to see annoyed. That may be the clincher!

Finally, a united Ireland would annoy a lot of people on this board that I want to see annoyed. That may be the clincher!
    Oi, you are encroaching on my territory

Only two, a master and an apprentice young padawan

I'm just a beginner at this. You are a black belt.

Because Ireland is Ireland and should all have achieved independence over a century ago. Unity would help to repair the damage of partition.

Because the 6 county statelet has been a bastion of discrimination and prejudice for most of its existence - and the incubator of some of the most reactionary ideas and values in the UK.

Because the population of Northern Ireland is now more nationalist than unionist - and for those who have a religious faith Catholicism has more adherents than Protestantism. Not that religious faith is a reliable measure of political aspiration.

Because it would strengthen the cause of progressives and 'Europeans' and weaken reactionaries and Little Englanders.

If I lived in Ireland (north or south) I would support a united Ireland and vote Sinn Fein.

Interesting! You old romantic!

All down to the people of Northern Ireland I think. Not sure I see the benefit in stirring of pots on this one

I hope they're right.

The delicious irony being that simple waanksplatt Boris Johnson has strengthened Irish unity via Brexit.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Didn't have you guys down as as nationalists and separatists, especially when the people in the area in question don't support it!

But then the mythology is quite strong on this topic. Im partial to a bit of the Wolfe Tones from time to time myself.

I'm just a beginner at this. You are a black belt.
    But without a gi....

Didn't have you guys down as as nationalists and separatists, especially when the people in the area in question don't support it!

But then the mythology is quite strong on this topic. Im partial to a bit of the Wolfe Tones from time to time myself.
    You prompted me to listen to them again tonight. Good - but better live.

I saw them once at the Sheffield Irish Club in Pitsmoor around 1989-1990. Room full to bursting and the Guinness bar ran dry. Great night for A Nation Once Again and The Men Behind The Wire!

You prompted me to listen to them again tonight. Good - but better live.

I saw them once at the Sheffield Irish Club in Pitsmoor around 1989-1990. Room full to bursting and the Guinness bar ran dry. Great night for A Nation Once Again and The Men Behind The Wire!
    More of a Dubliners man myself, but I have a lot of time for traditional Irish music. 👍

Separatists?

I'll suggest partitioning Ireland was always going to open up a box of bombs (pun intended).

As for the people in the area (you mean Ireland) not supporting it, you'll find within Ireland they overwhelming do.

Interestingly, since Brexit support for a United Ireland has increased in the partitioned six counties.

https://www.politico.eu/article/unit...dy-uk-belfast/

As an aside, Belfast is a great city for going on the rip.

More of a Dubliners man myself, but I have a lot of time for traditional Irish music. 👍
    Luke Kelly and Christy Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Separatists?

I'll suggest partitioning Ireland was always going to open up a box of bombs (pun intended).

As for the people in the area (you mean Ireland) not supporting it, you'll find within Ireland they overwhelming do.

Interestingly, since Brexit support for a United Ireland has increased in the partitioned six counties.

https://www.politico.eu/article/unit...dy-uk-belfast/

As an aside, Belfast is a great city for going on the rip.
    It's not supported in Northern Ireland. Id say it's best left to those people, especially when so much blood has been shed, so many kids made fatherless over the matter etc etc

The idea of a United Ireland is a romantic one, but it's never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Luke Kelly and Christy Moore.
    Luke Kelly is something else 👌

Genuinely one of my favourite songs here:
    https://youtu.be/Yg_3t-CHBZs?si=QUC4NM-rsRn0HFB5

United Ireland will create bloodshed.

Suppose that might wrankle the socalist on yer.

I think Ireland should be one state and it was a ridiculous "compromise" to divide it. But, to use a cliche, we are where we are. I can't see unionists taking a united Ireland lying down. Ultimately it's up to the people of Northern Ireland but obviously the majority faction will have the last word. Which could spark another god knows how many decades of violence. But maybe there is enough of a will not to go back down that road again to avoid it.

And I love the Wolfe Tones although the Dublin City Ramblers are my favourite.