+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: United Ireland 'within touching distance' (Sinn Fein)

Re: United Ireland 'within touching distance' (Sinn Fein)

The Bothy Boys were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    United Ireland will create bloodshed.

Suppose that might wrankle the socalist on yer.
    Thanks for that, I'vd forgotten how peaceful, tranquil and idyllic Northern Ireland has been during my lifetime.

I was born in 71.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Thanks for that, I'vd forgotten how peaceful, tranquil and idyllic Northern Ireland has been during my lifetime.

I was born in 71.
    Pretty stable for the last 25 years or so mind. Not entirely so of course, but nothing like it was. Id be very wary of a strong opinion either way, all down to the people of Northern Ireland and everything I have seen opposes it.

The Catholics will eventually get a united Ireland if democracy is followed as they will form a clear majority of the vote

What will then happen is the unionist lot who have always supported law and order .....rule brittania and all that ......will suddenly ignore all that to prevent Ireland becoming united

Religion and land , the root of all evil

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I think Ireland should be one state and it was a ridiculous "compromise" to divide it. But, to use a cliche, we are where we are. I can't see unionists taking a united Ireland lying down. Ultimately it's up to the people of Northern Ireland but obviously the majority faction will have the last word. Which could spark another god knows how many decades of violence. But maybe there is enough of a will not to go back down that road again to avoid it.

And I love the Wolfe Tones although the Dublin City Ramblers are my favourite.
    I rather suspect the people of the Irish Republic would have something to say too! Are we quite sure that the majority of folk there are in favour of a union with the North?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Pretty stable for the last 25 years or so mind. Not entirely so of course, but nothing like it was. Id be very wary of a strong opinion either way, all down to the people of Northern Ireland and everything I have seen opposes it.
    That stability you mention was brought about by the Good Friday agreement, you may want to read it?

The 'principle of consent' was/is interesting and it gave Republicans hope that things could be changed through consensus.

Only my opinion, but I see a United Ireland happening within 30 years.

Interesting review of the prospects for a united Ireland in the Guardian Briefing this morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...land-sinn-fein

Michelle O'Neill saying she can see a unity referendum within 10 years. Possibility of Sinn Fein forming the next government in the Republic. Younger people in favour of united Ireland. Impact of Brexit, support for EU and economic case for unity. Decision in the hands of UK government and indication of the level of support they would need to see to move on this.

10 years seems a bit optimistic to me, but the direction of travel is towards a single Irish state within 20 years.

Is that nutty leader of the unionists who went to bed with the Tories still around ?

She was a woman

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is that nutty leader of the unionists who went to bed with the Tories still around ?

She was a woman
    Arlene Foster?

Rewarded with a bench in the House of Lords. Does a bit of political punditry on top to pay the rent.

Not so sure about that. From Jon1959's link, "Demographic changes favour a united Ireland. Support for reunification in Northern Ireland has been rising steadily since the Good Friday agreement was signed, while the proportion of people who describe themselves as unionists has gradually fallen. Younger voters are much more likely to support reunification: in 2022, 57% of 18 to 24-year-olds said that they would vote “yes” if a border poll were held immediately.

Catholics now outnumber Protestants. And in local elections last year, votes for pro-unification parties beat those for pro-union parties for the first time. Sinn Féin’s success in the 2022 election and O’Neill’s landmark ascent to the first minister post plainly reflect those changes. University of Liverpool politics professor Jon Tonge told the Guardian’s Rory Carroll last week: “I don’t think there ever will be a unionist first minister in Northern Ireland again. It’s over.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    That stability you mention was brought about by the Good Friday agreement, you may want to read it?

The 'principle of consent' was/is interesting and it gave Republicans hope that things could be changed through consensus.

Only my opinion, but I see a United Ireland happening within 30 years.
    Don't dispute it, but it doesn't change the point that the last quarter century has been fairly stable, so I'm not sure why you didn't mention that, but focused on the quarter century before that?

We could indeed see a United Ireland within 30 years. We could also see a dismantled Spain, Belgium and US. That's the normal state of things really.

Whether we do or not is another thing..

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Not so sure about that. From Jon1959's link, "Demographic changes favour a united Ireland. Support for reunification in Northern Ireland has been rising steadily since the Good Friday agreement was signed, while the proportion of people who describe themselves as unionists has gradually fallen. Younger voters are much more likely to support reunification: in 2022, 57% of 18 to 24-year-olds said that they would vote “yes” if a border poll were held immediately.

Catholics now outnumber Protestants. And in local elections last year, votes for pro-unification parties beat those for pro-union parties for the first time. Sinn Féin’s success in the 2022 election and O’Neill’s landmark ascent to the first minister post plainly reflect those changes. University of Liverpool politics professor Jon Tonge told the Guardian’s Rory Carroll last week: “I don’t think there ever will be a unionist first minister in Northern Ireland again. It’s over.”
    Unless I am mistaken though, there is no poll supporting that the people of Northern Ireland want to join the Republic of Ireland, no?

Unless I am mistaken though, there is no poll supporting that the people of Northern Ireland want to join the Republic of Ireland, no?
    I was looking at the polls a few days ago and there is only one that shows majority support for a united Ireland in the six counties - that is probably a rogue outlier.

But support for a united Ireland has been growing over the past 25 years - even if it has flatlined recently (as has support for the union). The underlying political, economic and demographic trends point to a united Ireland with a generation in my opinion.

You should enjoy this:

https://factcheckni.org/articles/is-...nking-instead/