+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barry John

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Barry John

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I wonder if the Welsh side in the 2000s under various guises who won more grand slams and triple crowns than Barry John's era ? ......I could be wrong .....will be held in the same esteem as the seventies sides ?
    I think it is a generational thing.

People who do not remember the teams of the 70's will have their own memories of Welsh "greats".

For example Scott Gibbs. He would have got into any team in the world in his pomp, including New Zealand, and who can forget "that" try in 99 at Wembley?

Also, sport on TV, at that time there were only 3 channels and the 5 nations games shown live.
    The players of that era were household names.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think it is a generational thing.

People who do not remember the teams of the 70's will have their own memories of Welsh "greats".

For example Scott Gibbs. He would have got into any team in the world in his pomp, including New Zealand, and who can forget "that" try in 99 at Wembley?

Also, sport on TV, at that time there were only 3 channels and the 5 nations games shown live.
    The players of that era were household names.
    Rugby was more a game of skill in the 70's, and the players weren't as pumped up compared to the modern day.

RIP Barry John. One of the greatest players that I was lucky enough to see play.