+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the day of the target man over?

Is the day of the target man over?

It was interesting to read comments about Etete and some of our other strikers on here. Players like Glatzel, Zohore, Kaba, all better with a long ball to feet than battling for it in the air. We know there have been studies about the damage too much heading of the ball can cause to the brain.

Do many under 21s, under 23s etc play a long ball game, where it is launched up to a striker to battle for in the air, any more? I don't think they do. Youngsters are taught a passing game, keep the ball on the floor. Look at our youth sides, there's never any hoofball stuff, and I'd be surprised if there are any sides at this level or above who aren't the same.

I reckon, give it a decade, long ball football as in a hoof and hope will be long gone. Intentional long passing to feet is a fantastic weapon, but the days of lumping it upfield in the hope a striker will be strong enough to flick it on are gone.

Re: Is the day of the target man over?

I don't know what's is like in the lower leagues but you don't see much of it on TV these days. Even watching the 3rd round of the FA Cup last month I was surprised how sophisticated some of the football was.

Brentford’s goal last night was pretty much route one. Ball to Maupay’s feet rather than head though and a great finish.

I certainly hope not

It's all very well wanting total liquid football but the aim of the game is 3 points and with time running out or in the depths of a British winter we need to get the ball in the net

There is sometimes no room for poncing about with formations and patterns of play for pseudo football managers on the internet

It's about to make a comeback at Pittodrie

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Brentford’s goal last night was pretty much route one. Ball to Maupay’s feet rather than head though and a great finish.
    And that's it in a nutshell, pardon the pun. I wasn't suggesting the days of route one football have gone, it can be a very effective tool when used accurately, like that goal you mention and many like it in the PL. But it's also used in conjunction with effective movement to create space for that accurate long pass. It's nothing like lumping it in the general direction of the big lump up front.

As Brian Clough was fond of saying "If God had wanted football to be played in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there".

There'll always be a welcome for an "old fashioned target man" at Cardiff City and, if they can't find one, they'll try to turn someone completely unsuited for the job into one.

No I don’t think so, rumour has it that Aberdeen are completely changing their style to hoofball as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    And that's it in a nutshell, pardon the pun. I wasn't suggesting the days of route one football have gone, it can be a very effective tool when used accurately, like that goal you mention and many like it in the PL. But it's also used in conjunction with effective movement to create space for that accurate long pass. It's nothing like lumping it in the general direction of the big lump up front.

As Brian Clough was fond of saying "If God had wanted football to be played in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there".
    It was actually a brilliant assist by the ‘keeper. Not the hit and hope of the past, where the ball was hoisted up to the vicinity of the centre forward, hoping for a flick on. Those balls were always in the defenders favour, all he had to do was head it forward, job done. I do like the new era of footballing ‘keepers in this situation, not so much the back & forth, short passing farting about with his defenders.

as defences face proper target men much less these days, does that mean they will become more effective?

I don’t s’pose Liverpool after Tosh played with a big lump up front, but he was so much more than that, nothing like Hateley, much more skilful. The Rush, Aldridge through to Fowler & Owen eras didn’t conform to the norm of the time. I’d love to see Rush in this era of defenders tippy tappying it around their area (I think Bellamy would be in his element as well), Rush would have their pants down, he’d be a nightmare for them.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I don’t s’pose Liverpool after Tosh played with a big lump up front, but he was so much more than that, nothing like Hateley, much more skilful. The Rush, Aldridge through to Fowler & Owen eras didn’t conform to the norm of the time. I’d love to see Rush in this era of defenders tippy tappying it around their area (I think Bellamy would be in his element as well), Rush would have their pants down, he’d be a nightmare for them.
    The centre-backs go wide for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It's odd how perceptions can change in just a few years. Under Warnock we were never going to play total football, but my recollection is that we were generally very good to watch. More direct than some, yes, hoofball, no.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's odd how perceptions can change in just a few years. Under Warnock we were never going to play total football, but my recollection is that we were generally very good to watch. More direct than some, yes, hoofball, no.
    I think when your winning you generally allow it, but I agree, especially the year we went up, we played some good football, was it against Leeds we scored a very good goal? Generally watching Hoilett and NML was a joy to watch. I think when we went up and then back down we seemed to go a lot more direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    as defences face proper target men much less these days, does that mean they will become more effective?
    Not if teams don't practice it in training.

All tall strikers nowadays are expected to have a decent touch and be competent with the ball at their feet. You can't just expect them to be a target man just because of their height.

For almost a year, City were great to watch under Warnock. I was never a Warnock fan, so it was a very pleasant surprise to watch us between December 2016 and October 2017. I can even trace it to the games involved, it started with a 2-1 win over Wolves and ended with a 3-1 win over Leeds both at Cardiff City Stadium. Kenneth Zohore was the catalyst for this very enjoyable ten months when he came on as a half time sub against Wolves and helped turn around a 1-0 deficit and the Leeds match was the last game he played before getting an injury which kept him out for two months and he was never the same player after he returned.
    After that, we still did really well to go up, but the football was far more prosaic and set piece orientated than it had been - we were much more like I expected a Warnock team to be in his last two years at the club, albeit half of that time was spent in the Premier League where we were never going to be the great entertainers.
    Zohore was not the only reason for that enjoyable year or so, but he was probably the major one and although Warnock couldn’t get Zohore back to the player who was, arguably, the best striker in the Championship, he did get him playing to a standard no one else could for that time.
    The other thing I remember from Zohore at that time was that he was not playing as a target man who had loads of high balls aimed at him, but by laying to his feet or into channels for him to use his pace to run on to - again credit to Warnock for recognising the type of football we had to play to get the best out of the player.

Would Haaland be considered a target man? Most of his goals are tap ins or from inside the box with very few touches before scoring.

Not diminishing his skill as a player, some of the stuff he pulls off is brilliant and he’s got a knack for getting into scoring positions half a second before any defender has realised he’s there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It was definitely good to watch. We may gone through games having 35% possession but when we did have the ball it was entertaining going forward. Maybe best to describe it as direct as you say,but keepers hoofing the ball long, and towards the flanks, hoping to gain possession did play a part.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    For almost a year, City were great to watch under Warnock. I was never a Warnock fan, so it was a very pleasant surprise to watch us between December 2016 and October 2017. I can even trace it to the games involved, it started with a 2-1 win over Wolves and ended with a 3-1 win over Leeds both at Cardiff City Stadium. Kenneth Zohore was the catalyst for this very enjoyable ten months when he came on as a half time sub against Wolves and helped turn around a 1-0 deficit and the Leeds match was the last game he played before getting an injury which kept him out for two months and he was never the same player after he returned.
    After that, we still did really well to go up, but the football was far more prosaic and set piece orientated than it had been - we were much more like I expected a Warnock team to be in his last two years at the club, albeit half of that time was spent in the Premier League where we were never going to be the great entertainers.
    Zohore was not the only reason for that enjoyable year or so, but he was probably the major one and although Warnock couldn’t get Zohore back to the player who was, arguably, the best striker in the Championship, he did get him playing to a standard no one else could for that time.
    The other thing I remember from Zohore at that time was that he was not playing as a target man who had loads of high balls aimed at him, but by laying to his feet or into channels for him to use his pace to run on to - again credit to Warnock for recognising the type of football we had to play to get the best out of the player.
    Which begs the question, what is a 'target man' ? In the last few seasons it's been literally that - a target to aim a long ball out of defence to alleviate pressure as opposed to looking to start an attack with a decent pass from midfield. Were Zohore in place of Etete at Watford he'd still be having balls rifled up to him at head height.

Looking at Wikipedia, zahore played 96 games for us...

I'm surprised at that amount!

Which begs the question, what is a 'target man' ? In the last few seasons it's been literally that - a target to aim a long ball out of defence to alleviate pressure as opposed to looking to start an attack with a decent pass from midfield. Were Zohore in place of Etete at Watford he'd still be having balls rifled up to him at head height.
    Agreed, i think Diedhiou is better equipped to deal with it, but, when you think back to someone like Toshack there’d be players close by him to benefit from his headers in open play. I know we were intent on clinging to our lead at Watford so there weren’t players there to get to the headers Diedhiou won (there were quite a few of them as well), but you only have to watch the opening minutes of any home game to see that our “target man” is isolated whatever the score is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It was interesting to read comments about Etete and some of our other strikers on here. Players like Glatzel, Zohore, Kaba, all better with a long ball to feet than battling for it in the air. We know there have been studies about the damage too much heading of the ball can cause to the brain.

Do many under 21s, under 23s etc play a long ball game, where it is launched up to a striker to battle for in the air, any more? I don't think they do. Youngsters are taught a passing game, keep the ball on the floor. Look at our youth sides, there's never any hoofball stuff, and I'd be surprised if there are any sides at this level or above who aren't the same.

I reckon, give it a decade, long ball football as in a hoof and hope will be long gone. Intentional long passing to feet is a fantastic weapon, but the days of lumping it upfield in the hope a striker will be strong enough to flick it on are gone.
    Depends who you are playing and what the playing surface is like.
    If you are losing and chasing a game on a quagmire (giggity) of a pitch, the long ball up the field to a tall strong centre forward rather than attempting to play through the m/f is a weapon worth having.

Although, it is noticable how much smaller in statute generally top players are these days, in Haaland you have the perfect centre forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I certainly hope not

It's all very well wanting total liquid football but the aim of the game is 3 points and with time running out or in the depths of a British winter we need to get the ball in the net

There is sometimes no room for poncing about with formations and patterns of play for pseudo football managers on the internet
    you certainly hope not? go watch rugby you'd prolly love it

imagine thinking the choice is whether to have "liquid football" or 3 points

A limited big man who just had brute strength doesn't offer the top level anymore when pressing systems and athleticism are paramount.

Doesn't seem long ago that Lambert,Carrol Murray were playing in the top half of the league.

Harland, holand (united), nunes, Ferguson (BHA) Antonio (WHam) Solenke, Jimenez, Toney....There are loads but they just offer more at the top level

Neil Warnock will be 85 in a decade and he'll still find clubs with "my type of people" so it probably won't be totally gone.