+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: East Moors Dowlais Steelworks

East Moors Dowlais Steelworks

One of my hobbies in retirement is family ancestry. My DNA is 85% Welsh. The main exception being my great grandfather who moved from Consett (8 previous generations of Northumbrians) to work at the newly built East Moors in 1895, along with thousands of other migrants from the north east. He & his (local) wife lived in Moorland Road for around 30 years, until he retired,with my Gran being born there in 1902.

My GGfather was an experienced steel maker (smelter) and I believe he was recruited into Guest Keen for that experience, as were other Geordies (Llanwern similarly recruited from Wolverhampton)

The purpose of my post is to gather as much info as possible on the building and start up of East Moors, in the 1890s. Unfortunately even with the help of Google there’s little info.

If any can recommend sites, links, articles, books, images on this 1890s period (start up), I’d be grateful.

Thanks

Re: East Moors Dowlais Steelworks

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    One of my hobbies in retirement is family ancestry. My DNA is 85% Welsh. The main exception being my great grandfather who moved from Consett (8 previous generations of Northumbrians) to work at the newly built East Moors in 1895, along with thousands of other migrants from the north east. He & his (local) wife lived in Moorland Road for around 30 years, until he retired,with my Gran being born there in 1902.

My GGfather was an experienced steel maker (smelter) and I believe he was recruited into Guest Keen for that experience, as were other Geordies (Llanwern similarly recruited from Wolverhampton)

The purpose of my post is to gather as much info as possible on the building and start up of East Moors, in the 1890s. Unfortunately even with the help of Google there’s little info.

If any can recommend sites, links, articles, books, images on this 1890s period (start up), I’d be grateful.

Thanks
    It's not as simple as one's DNA being a certain percentage Welsh, though. Ancestry-like DNA results are about gene commonality with other people regarding a specific and relatively recent timeframe in history and by region. It wouldn't surprise me if you are part Beaker person and part Vandal

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's not as simple as one's DNA being a certain percentage Welsh, though. Ancestry-like DNA results are about gene commonality with other people regarding a specific and relatively recent timeframe in history and by region. It wouldn't surprise me if you are part Beaker person and part Vandal
    Accept that totally. There’s a bit of Celt, Dane & Basque in there for good measure. Out of great grand-parents 7 out of 8 were Welsh born similarly 14 out of 16 GG grandparents were Welsh, and they rarely moved more than a few miles, so that’s what I’m claiming.

The big exception is the Geordie who up rooted to Cardiff, his brothers & sisters emigrated to Virginia, so I’d love some in depth knowledge of GKs start up of East Moors & development of Splott, for example I understand Moorland Road was built for managers & supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Thanks
    Although you'll need a subscription, the British Newspaper Archive online would surely have plenty of reports? There are several newspapers that covered Cardiff and would have been around at that time.

I've been using it for the last 4 years for my history PhD for which I'm in the process of putting together the first draft of my thesis. I've taken out annual subscriptions as I've needed to access it over a long period but if you wanted to blitz it for a few weeks it's only £14.99 for a month.

National museum of Wales, or Glamorgan Archives might be of use.
    Ps - My G-grandfather lived on Moorland Rd around the same time, having moved from Dorset.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    National museum of Wales, or Glamorgan Archives might be of use.
    Ps - My G-grandfather lived on Moorland Rd around the same time, having moved from Dorset.
    Good shout. I put in east moors on the Glamorgan Archives search box and it came back with 1700+ hits.

https://glamorgan.epexio.com/en/