+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Groundhog Day is for wimps, you should try watching Cardiff play at home!

Groundhog Day is for wimps, you should try watching Cardiff play at home!

Timid team selection and tactics at home once again from Erol Bulut.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Groundhog Day is for wimps, you should try watching Cardiff play at home!

A good summary of yesterday's debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    A good summary of yesterday's debacle.
    Yes. A very good summary. If you’d been much stronger in your criticism of bulut for the colwill decision there would have been no argument from me. Nothing short of disgraceful. It almost feels personal - as mad as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Yes. A very good summary. If you’d been much stronger in your criticism of bulut for the colwill decision there would have been no argument from me. Nothing short of disgraceful. It almost feels personal - as mad as that sounds.
    Thanks both, I must admit I did think there was a stubbornness in taking so long to introduce Colwill and then when he did finally appear it was into a team that had “gone” mentally - even then, most of City’s better passes in the last twenty minutes were played by Colwill.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Timid team selection and tactics at home once again from Erol Bulut.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    We did try watching at home yesterday. Unfortunately we didn’t get any further than Bristol due to a hold up for a horrific accident in which somebody sadly died.
    And so listened to the radio commentary which from the get go seems to have accurately described our lack of ambition with the ball, the lack of any sense of urgency, that our full backs seldom if ever we’re in the opposing half in the first half, that a free kick in the first half in the opposition half led the ball back to our keeper. How our are attacks were predictable and easy to deal with.

It wasn’t a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY TOO View Post
    We did try watching at home yesterday. Unfortunately we didn’t get any further than Bristol due to a hold up for a horrific accident in which somebody sadly died.
    And so listened to the radio commentary which from the get go seems to have accurately described our lack of ambition with the ball, the lack of any sense of urgency, that our full backs seldom if ever we’re in the opposing half in the first half, that a free kick in the first half in the opposition half led the ball back to our keeper. How our are attacks were predictable and easy to deal with.

It wasn’t a good day!
    There was a particularly dreadful football song released for the 1996 FA cup final, titled "Pass and Move (It's The Liverpool Groove)". Pass and stand still seems to be our variation on this theme and that, to me, is our biggest problem. We're too static, there's very little movement. It's as if players are instructed not to be too adventurous.

Hate him, or not, but imagine if Russell Martin was our manager. Do you think, with the players that we have now, they would pass the ball and offer little movement? Of course they wouldn't. It's all about training and instruction. I'm not saying that Martin could turn our side into Southampton , but if we're not doing something that should be fundamentally basic, that boils down to the manager, coaching and their instruction. It's also one of the differences between the side now and earlier in the season. Confidence might be an issue at home, yes, but it's more than just confidence and poor players.

I do wish that Colwill would get a run in the team so we can really see his ability, but how many managers has he now played under (4 or 5?). There comes a point where you wonder where his level is when the number of professionals that view him in training every day all think that he isn’t quite up to this level.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY TOO View Post

It wasn’t a good day!
    I found the radio coverage yesterday particularly bad. Jason Perry was good as usual but Mark Poyser barely described the action or told the listener who was doing what. I'm a bit of a radio anorak and in all my listening years, i've never heard a worse commentator than Mark Poyser. Maybe he had other things on his mind but that showing from Poyser wasn't good enough, i'd like to email the BBC about it, not out of spite but i'm currently in hospital and rely on the radio for matches.
    Anyone else hear yesterday's broadcast and feel the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    I found the radio coverage yesterday particularly bad. Jason Perry was good as usual but Mark Poyser barely described the action or told the listener who was doing what. I'm a bit of a radio anorak and in all my listening years, i've never heard a worse commentator than Mark Poyser. Maybe he had other things on his mind but that showing from Poyser wasn't good enough, i'd like to email the BBC about it, not out of spite but i'm currently in hospital and rely on the radio for matches.
    Anyone else hear yesterday's broadcast and feel the same way?
    Sometimes Poyser can be decent, I rate him more highly than Simon Davies.

I think one of the problems with a dreadful game like yesterday is that most commentators will tend to drift out of the game to talk about other things, simply because nothing is happening on the pitch. It was turgid stuff that no commentator could throw any enthusiasm at.

Bulut doesn't rate colwill. Colwill has been one of our better performers in recent games, but that isn't saying much in reality. He should have started yesterdays game, no doubt, Altough the bigger concern is why so many players are so bloody awful, inept, and our brightest light (Colwill) is a player who has done alright, no more no less. Things are deaperate.

I didn't watch yesterday, was busy, but one thing that gets me about the way we play is, if we don't use the wingers for their pace or to get the ball out wide and stretch teams and put in crosses, wouldn't we be better off binning the wingers in favour of an additional 2 attacking midfielfers? Ramsey, Colwill and Turnbull ahead of 2 defensive midfielders? There are 2 variations of the 4231 and our 'wide' one isn't working is it. If we insist on moving the ball at a snails pace we might as well have more technically minded players on the pitch to carry it out.

Yes, I have wondered for a long time if Bulut's decision to either drop, or in the past not play Colwill has been personal. Colwill would be one of the first people on my team selection sheet.

I dont read your articles but i do enjoy your thread titles on these posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    I do wish that Colwill would get a run in the team so we can really see his ability
    I'd include Tanner in that as the players need to build an understanding. Somne regular starters have had far too many chances.

I've just watched the Championship Highlights on ITV. I see the new Huddersfield Manager has decided attack is the best form of defence. They may have lost yesterday but at least they went down swinging. We roll over home and away to far too many teams. Often the way Bulut sets us up we are beaten before the match has kicked off.

First Team

Punxsutawney Phil = Etete