+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Wright R2

Re: Steve Wright R2

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I couldn't listen to him. He had a habit of allowing just one verse and chorus of a song, then talking over the rest.

I had heard that most (maybe all) of the jingles used on his show were written by him. He'd earn royalties every time they were used and it was in his contract that they had to be used every show.
    I'm sure he was innovative, which most tributes claim. I'd never heard a dj like him. It wasn't an innovation I appreciated though. It only had a loose relationship with music. And I find music is quite an important aspect of a music radio station. It's obviously sad he has died but he was by some distance the worst dj I've ever come across.

Believe me, when your working day included having the Mike Read, Simon Bates, Gary Davies and Steve Wright shows on in the background, you really looked forward to the latter coming on.

Must say mind I agree with Soul 68 about Johnnie Walker, used to love his lunchtime show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    He played shite music (as has every daytime Radio 1 DJ with the exception of the great Johnnie Walker - maybe a bit before your time Eric?). However, iI loved his sense of humour. His show was worth listening to for that alone.
    I remember Johnnie Walker covering for Terry Wigan and I was amazed when he played Toots and the Maytals cover of Country Roads one day. Used to like listening to him.

I remember Johnnie Walker covering for Terry Wigan and I was amazed when he played Toots and the Maytals cover of Country Roads one day. Used to like listening to him.
    Terry Wigan …….love it

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Believe me, when your working day included having the Mike Read, Simon Bates, Gary Davies and Steve Wright shows on in the background, you really looked forward to the latter coming on.

Must say mind I agree with Soul 68 about Johnnie Walker, used to love his lunchtime show.
    Apart from Steve Wright ......in small doses.... radio one disc jockeys during prime time were shocking

Bates , Gary Davies , Mike Read , Bruno Brookes all hopeless boring Phil Collins types

Tried to be zany at times but crap

Mainstream daytime radio has severely deteriorated over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Mainstream daytime radio has severely deteriorated over the last few years.
    These days DJs seem more reliant on listener contributions more than ever. Listeners using twitter to let thr country know they're driving somewhere to celebrate a birthday, or something similar.
    At least Steve Wright was innovative writing and producing his own material.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    These days DJs seem more reliant on listener contributions more than ever. Listeners using twitter to let thr country know they're driving somewhere to celebrate a birthday, or something similar.
    At least Steve Wright was innovative writing and producing his own material.
    Radio 6 seems relatively free of that, and combines great older music with new bands and new sounds. For music, I never listen to anything else, and my playlists of 'new stuff' (some of which turn out to be 20/30 years old ) tends to be drawn from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Radio 6 seems relatively free of that, and combines great older music with new bands and new sounds. For music, I never listen to anything else, and my playlists of 'new stuff' (some of which turn out to be 20/30 years old ) tends to be drawn from there.
    I was a fan of the Shaun Keavney breakfast show. Gutted when he left

Terry Wigan …….love it
    Bit of an underwhelming tribute act! Sodding autocorrect....

Bit of an underwhelming tribute act! Sodding autocorrect....
    I thought it was a very witty take on his well documented hair situation. Always claim the credit Eric, whether or not it’s intended

I thought it was a very witty take on his well documented hair situation. Always claim the credit Eric, whether or not it’s intended

Copyright arranged as I type!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I couldn't stand listening to him either. Radio 2 should be blown up, shot down,burnt down.......whatever it takes.....
    It's easier not to listen to it.

Terry Wigan …….love it
    Terry Wigan, was Terry Wogan's half brother. A huge big Northern Soul fan, he was

His brother has said his death was sadly down to his poor diet .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Terry Wigan, was Terry Wogan's half brother. A huge big Northern Soul fan, he was
    That's a very hair raising fact.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    His brother has said his death was sadly down to his poor diet .
    Any details on what foods specifically his brother believes killed him? Heart attack presumably.
    RIP. But radio 2 is awful

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's easier not to listen to it.
    Try working on Building sites. I rejoice when someone is using a power tool....

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Any details on what foods specifically his brother believes killed him? Heart attack presumably.
    RIP. But radio 2 is awful
    Could have been a Cardiac Arrest. Not the same as a heart attack,although a heart attack can cause a cardiac arrest.

When it happened to me it was not caused by a heart attack.

Try working on Building sites. I rejoice when someone is using a power tool....
    A few years back I was on a job and the lads had a commercial channel on day in/day out. Now that is traumatic, listening to them actually singing along to the adverts. I still get cold sweats over ‘Trade Centre Wales’ being sang in unison.

A few years back I was on a job and the lads had a commercial channel on day in/day out. Now that is traumatic, listening to them actually singing along to the adverts. I still get cold sweats over ‘Trade Centre Wales’ being sang in unison.
    Did anyone finish off with

"Tell them Trevor sent 'ewe"???

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Did anyone finish off with

"Tell them Trevor sent 'ewe"???
    Oh they all knew that fecker!!

Agreed, i'm not one for the radio in work, i enjoy it being quiet, it gives me time to think. Radio 4 is great, as is radio 6. Smooth chill gets an airing quite often as well.

Agreed, i'm not one for the radio in work, i enjoy it being quiet, it gives me time to think. Radio 4 is great, as is radio 6. Smooth chill gets an airing quite often as well.
    OK, let's all be honest here, who listens to TalkSport?

The radio station for cuunts.