+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time is Up

Re: Time is Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    This thread has summed up how football fans have changed for the worse, everyone crying for long term stability and growth but ready to sack everyone at the sign of regression.

Build for the future/long term blah blah.... if you progress in a perfectly linear way otherwise get out.

Fact of the matter is 75%+ of City fans were seriously worried about relegation this season.

The fact that we've been comfortably clear of the bottom 3 all year is signs of a good season, am I disappointed how we've fallen away? Yes of course but it shows the squad had limited depth and once 20-30 games in standards dropped, something we all knew.

This thread has summed up how football fans have changed for the worse, everyone crying for long term stability and growth but ready to sack everyone at the sign of regression.

Build for the future/long term blah blah.... if you progress in a perfectly linear way otherwise get out.

Fact of the matter is 75%+ of City fans were seriously worried about relegation this season.

The fact that we've been comfortably clear of the bottom 3 all year is signs of a good season, am I disappointed how we've fallen away? Yes of course but it shows the squad had limited depth and once 20-30 games in standards dropped, something we all knew.
    I think you're being very generous or very naive to say that standards have dropped 20-30 games in. Our last decent performance was our 14th game of the season against Bristol City, which means we've played 17 league games since and played abysmally in nearly all of them. By common consent we've been fortunate to pick up a few wins along the way, which has kept us out of trouble.

How can you build for the future if you put blind faith in a manager that has sucked nearly all the positivity from the fans in just a few months ?

I'm worried about relegation, we're still not safe and we've been awful for months. Bulut isn't the man to take us forward, he's lost it and run out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The only point in sacking bulut is if we can get a better manager in

He's only just brought in some new faces

If we sack him and bring in a new manager do you think its worth doing all this again in say next December when he's got the same sort of return that bulut has ?
    If the football is as consistently shite and the players look like they are getting much worse then yes.

However the point is if he isn't going to be here next season (and remember currently he isn't going to be) then why waste time now?

Even though I'm not bothered either way if the club do give him an extra 2 years tomorrow I'd say fair play at least its a sign of what they think and we can put all this to bed as he's staying at least into next season and that's that.

However current situation is untenable much longer. If he's going then just go now. This season is done. However if he is staying then all get it done and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think you're being very generous or very naive to say that standards have dropped 20-30 games in. Our last decent performance was our 14th game of the season against Bristol City, which means we've played 17 league games since and played abysmally in nearly all of them. By common consent we've been fortunate to pick up a few wins along the way, which has kept us out of trouble.

How can you build for the future if you put blind faith in a manager that has sucked nearly all the positivity from the fans in just a few months ?
    Maybe generous but definitely not naive. In the 5 games after we played Bristol, 3 of the 5 are in the top 6 and we still got 4 points from 5 games. The Championship is a relentless league and that's why the relegated sides have romped home this year because they have incredible squads, not just a good 11.

How is it blind faith after 7 months? Manager's seem to suck all positivity out of fans every season, no matter who it is. It starts to come down to are we just an overly negative fanbase? The club has been under restraints that nearly no other club has had in the UK over the past 1-2 years in not being able to pay for players while the top 6/8 clubs can spend £10s of millions. It's not Buluts fault the club has been in the mire for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Aye, but we're 11 points better off than last season
    Is that a benchmark? Last season was our worst for 20 years and we should have gone down really. He makes odd subs and frequently starts with the wrong team, why not start with Ramsey last night? Chasing the game from the off…..

Absolutely spot on!

No one will ever succeed under this ownership. Bulut far from inspiring and wouldn’t be sorry to see him go but will be the same next manager as well.

The January window was rubbish. Short term signings order of the day once again

There's a valid argument that the players need a few games to bed in, gel together, and it's a virtually new team out there at times, but I'd accept that premise were I to see the occasional flash of pace, players inter-changing a few quick passes, a great shot etc., but individually they all - bar a few exceptions - look bang average footballers. Admittedly he did bring in a few turkeys, but Morison signed :

Philogene
    Alnwick
    Collins
    Tanner
    Kipre
    O'Dowda
    Robinson

Puts Bulut's signings in perspective..

my thread was removed...

sadly ive moved also... firmly into the get the **** out of my club group

**** off

The football generally since what October?? has been awful, as bad as last season much of that time.

I don't see the point in sacking the guy though.

Last season i'd have snapped your hand off for being 11 clear of the bottom 3 in mid February. With one or two small purchases and a lot of wheeling and dealing in loans and frees he has us well clear of any relegation. You can make an argument and say we are going to plummet from here but I don't see that. He hasn't been able to get most of his first, second probably even third choices, it seems quite clear the club made a mistake with budgeting for the window also.

I'm not really sure what people were expecting. After years of cost cutting on the playing side we are now at best a mid table squad, and that is where we are. We could play more attacking like we did earlier in the season but the goals would have dried up at some point as we don't have them in the team. In September people were moaning we were too open at the back and Bulut needed to learn from his mistakes, not surprisingly we have become more defensive but our attack is severely limited, not all because of Bulut, they are just a limited average championship attack.

It's a meh season. Mid table or lower mid table mediocrity, it happens. The crying is unnecessary.

Bulut will be gone end of the season anyway, then we can get back to appointing coaches from within for shits and giggles which is so much more exciting for everyone

Things wont improve substantially until there is a proper structure in place off the pitch and some investment on it. The first point, Tan could start oi implement tomorrow if he so wished, the second seems harder than ever given sustainability rules and our complete lack of being able to sell anyone for any profit.

Bang on mate.

I'm always surprised by a fanbase that has mostly known second tier or lower football to be so up in arms when we are mid table in the second tier with a team of mostly freebies and loans.

Bulut is probably one of the better managers we could realistically attract that now has some idea of how he could improve this squad after gaining a seasons worth of experience in it.

I think given all that has been said by himself he won't be here beyond the season so step right up the next short term fall guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Bang on mate.

I'm always surprised by a fanbase that has mostly known second tier or lower football to be so up in arms when we are mid table in the second tier with a team of mostly freebies and loans.

Bulut is probably one of the better managers we could realistically attract that now has some idea of how he could improve this squad after gaining a seasons worth of experience in it.

I think given all that has been said by himself he won't be here beyond the season so step right up the next short term fall guy.
    That's fair enough. It's just that 'meh' isn't enough to sit through whatever life I've got left. Big shout out to the away fans though. Fair play, that's some commitment and puts me to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is that a benchmark? Last season was our worst for 20 years and we should have gone down really. He makes odd subs and frequently starts with the wrong team, why not start with Ramsey last night? Chasing the game from the off…..
    Ramsey has been out for months, playing what 20 minutes on Saturday. There's a fair amount of constructive criticism people can get into but Ramsey starting would be far odder than some of the subs.

I'm not behind the scenes of the club but I'm assuming he is easing him back in, getting him up to fitness, another injury and we aren't seeing him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That's fair enough. It's just that 'meh' isn't enough to sit through whatever life I've got left. Big shout out to the away fans though. Fair play, that's some commitment and puts me to shame.
    That's for you to decide of course. It's all a cycle though mate, as you know.

For me the manager conversation is merely papering over the cracks of much bigger changes we need to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's what the plan was when he was appointed

Now you are asking him to be fired already ?
    Totally agree.

It hasn't helped us that every manager who has come in over the past few years has inherrited a team of players they don't want - they've do half a rebuilding job in one window - are given the boot and the cycle continues.

And as others have suggested on here our problems have always been much larger than the manager so switching now won't solve any of that. I'm as dsseffected as anyone about recent performances but repeating what we've done for the last few years won't achieve anything.

A beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    That's for you to decide of course. It's all a cycle though mate, as you know.

For me the manager conversation is merely papering over the cracks of much bigger changes we need to see.
    The cycle of life. I woke up this morning and had forgotten all about last night's game already! It's the pashun of the moment. It's a curse being a City fan!
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 14-02-24 at 12:04. Reason: Upper case C on City missing! The shame.

I think the club should have backed him properly in january. Seems his head has gone a bit now, which is quite frankly a bit pathetic. Part of being a football manager (especially at a club like ours) is dealing with a difficult board.

I hope he gets a grip of himself, because i think he's a decent manager. We started the season well, he brought in a couple of decent players. The club should keep him and back him. The other thing of course, if we do sack him , does anyone have any faith we'd bring in a decent replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Getting rid of Bulut would be a mistake. He has shown that he can get the team playing as he did at the start of the season so changing managers AGAIN now would just be repeating the same old cycle.

That said…….what does he see in Etete? :-/
    where is the critical thinking in some people?

the fact the team played BETTER when bulut had less influence on the team shows us that he is NOT the right person. You do realize your post is a massive contradiction of logic right?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think the club should have backed him properly in january. Seems his head has gone a bit now, which is quite frankly a bit pathetic. Part of being a football manager (especially at a club like ours) is dealing with a difficult board.

I hope he gets a grip of himself, because i think he's a decent manager. We started the season well, he brought in a couple of decent players. The club should keep him and back him. The other thing of course, if we do sack him , does anyone have any faith we'd bring in a decent replacement?
    He’s pretty much come out and said that they promised him one thing, they made plans for players over months and then they slashed the budget. The players who came in and not great but it’s his job to get the most out of them. Although I’m not sure anyone gets much out of our forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post

his main job is managing and coaching the actual team he has! its not all glamorous transfer windows if that's what he signed up for he may want to check out some of the football manager games on the market and leave the profession to more capable people

From my perspective, for what it's worth...

I thought that early on, from the start of the season till Novemberish, that we had exceeded any expectations that I had.

The press conference interviews from the Manager and some of the players that he brought in, eg players like Siopis and Bowler who were both playing well, and with confidence at the time, indicated that they would not be happy with just doing well. If anything, Siopis seemed to be saying one of the main reasons he came was because the Manager wanted success, and not just be happy with the mid table finish that many people would have been happy with after the previous few seasons... me included.

This may have contributed to me thinking that perhaps we may get around the play-off positions come January and our owner might be willing to invest in what the Manager was doing. Ha!

Then as the results got worse, and the performances even worse, the realisation hit me that the Manager had done well to get a tune out of some of the players that we had, and the reality was that expectations were beginning to get out of all proportion.

Anyway, and finally, my tuppence worth on the subject...
    The Manager was given a year's contract, he started well, but now it's completely rubbish.
    I'd say that from now until the end of the season is a different test of the Managers skill set, one where we will perhaps see the measure of how good he really is. If he is as good as cracked up to be, he will be able to turn things around. Until then my judgement is reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post

I thought that early on, from the start of the season till Novemberish, that we had exceeded any expectations that I had.

The press conference interviews from the Manager and some of the players that he brought in, eg players like Siopis and Bowler who were both playing well, and with confidence at the time, indicated that they would not be happy with just doing well. If anything, Siopis seemed to be saying one of the main reasons he came was because the Manager wanted success, and not just be happy with the mid table finish that many people would have been happy with after the previous few seasons... me included.

This may have contributed to me thinking that perhaps we may get around the play-off positions come January and our owner might be willing to invest in what the Manager was doing. Ha!

Then as the results got worse, and the performances even worse, the realisation hit me that the Manager had done well to get a tune out of some of the players that we had, and the reality was that expectations were beginning to get out of all proportion.

The Manager was given a year's contract, he started well, but now it's completely rubbish.
    I'd say that from now until the end of the season is a different test of the Managers skill set, one where we will perhaps see the measure of how good he really is. If he is as good as cracked up to be, he will be able to turn things around. Until then my judgement is reserved.
    Totally agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post

Pretty much my view too.

The jury should still be out on Bulut but the evidence is mounting up in the negative column.

I don't blame or congratulate him for the summer or January signings. I don't think he was the main factor in either window. As a club we have been trying to assemble a competitive squad through a partial transfer embargo and with our heads banging on the Profit and Sustainability (FFP) ceiling. I'm reasonably pleased with what was done in those circumstances (more than many other clubs in our league) but it clearly didn't match the expectation built up by Bulut. Was that down to his naivety, miscommunication (or no communication) or last minute EFL clarification of what was allowed under the rules? I don't know but it had the manager threatening to quit.

The main thing now is for Bulut - albeit still learning about the league in his first season of Championship football - to show he has the skills to lead and improve the team/squad he has got. Can he drive and motivate? Can he set up a team - and change things during the game - to get the best out of the players at his disposal? Can he and his coaches improve players? Will he use younger players at the right time and in the right way? He's not ticked many boxes so far. Hopefully that will change.