+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In recession.

In recession.

Re: In recession.

Excuse my economic ignorance but why is staying the same seen as bad? Why does everything have to continually grow??

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Excuse my economic ignorance but why is staying the same seen as bad? Why does everything have to continually grow??
    Because the conservatives said they would grow the economy

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    In truth, you don't. Just like if a businesses turnover was £1m and the next year it was £999,000 its hardly bad news. The pursuit of endless growth is unrealistic, just as the formal definition of a recession is rather arbitrary and short term.

However, it is a really important measure because it makes all other economic aspirations more difficult to achieve.

It's bad as well as it's a 0.3% deduction, which is unlikely to be graded up.

Several other countries in recession too

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Because the conservatives said they would grow the economy
    Sunak's 5 Promises from January 2023 - where he got all Rasta (I and I):

"I fully expect you to hold my government and I to account on delivering those goals,"

He has failed dismally on four of them (growing the economy, getting NHS waiting lists down, stopping the small boats and reducing government debt) and crowed about the one that had virtually nothing to do with him (halving inflation).

Whatever the economic significance, it is a political prat fall by the Tories!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sunak's 5 Promises from January 2023 - where he got all Rasta (I and I):

"I fully expect you to hold my government and I to account on delivering those goals,"

He has failed dismally on four of them (growing the economy, getting NHS waiting lists down, stopping the small boats and reducing government debt) and crowed about the one that had virtually nothing to do with him (halving inflation).

Whatever the economic significance, it is a political prat fall by the Tories!
    Norman Lamont on radio today, claimed that the public sector had far lower productivity when measured against the private sector. Especially since the pandemic. Something for you to chew on instead of bashing European nationalists.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In truth, you don't. Just like if a businesses turnover was £1m and the next year it was £999,000 its hardly bad news. The pursuit of endless growth is unrealistic, just as the formal definition of a recession is rather arbitrary and short term.

However, it is a really important measure because it makes all other economic aspirations more difficult to achieve.

Exactly. The BBC especially love to dramatise such non-events. The acid test is always how the FTSE 100 and especially the FTSE 250 react to such news - both have seen modest gains today. If there was a real issue then you would have seen an immediate panicky knee-jerk sell off of £millions worth of stocks and shares.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Norman Lamont on radio today, claimed that the public sector had far lower productivity when measured against the private sector. Especially since the pandemic. Something for you to chew on instead of bashing European nationalists.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Exactly. The BBC especially love to dramatise such non-events. The acid test is always how the FTSE 100 and especially the FTSE 250 react to such news - both have seen modest gains today. If there was a real issue then you would have seen an immediate panicky knee-jerk sell off of £millions worth of stocks and shares.
    I had high hopes that your Christian, caring side would realise what a bunch of tossers the Tories are but you remain one of those strange people that walk into a food bank to contribute but seem blind to the fact voting tory is the reason they are there

What?
    Norman Lamont

Black Wednesday etc etc

Economies currently in recession

Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    Japan
    Luxembourg
    Moldova
    Peru
    Ireland
    United Kingdom

I had high hopes that your Christian, caring side would realise what a bunch of tossers the Tories are but you remain one of those strange people that walk into a food bank to contribute but seem blind to the fact voting tory is the reason they are there
    I never realised food banks only existed in the UK?

Oh wait, they don't. It's just another thing you can ignore the real cause of to make a cheap party political point on the internet about, whilst simultaneously making the solution to the problem you profess to care about no closer to being resolved.

👍

I never realised food banks only existed in the UK?

Oh wait, they don't. It's just another thing you can ignore the real cause of to make a cheap party political point on the internet about, whilst simultaneously making the solution to the problem you profess to care about no closer to being resolved.

👍
    This oh I am not a tory claim you made and often make is complete nonsense as this thread clearly shows

You just can't help yourself , sticking up for them relentlessly

But you are not a tory ........yeah OK if you say so 😂

Norman Lamont

Black Wednesday etc etc
    That doesn't help, Sludge.

In response to a post on Sunak missing 4 of his 5 'judge me and my party' pledges, the poster now known as NinianOpinion1927 came back with Norman Lamont on lower public sector than private sector productivity (idle nurses and care workers?), and accused me of somehow 'bashing European nationalists'!

It was a 'Wibble' moment!

Total gobbledegook!

Although I suppose when it comes to a discussion about economic competence and public reaction to the lack of it, bringing Lamont in does add something. Even if that is by going off on the biggest and least relevant tangent possible.

Anyway, Black Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Economies currently in recession

Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    Japan
    Luxembourg
    Moldova
    Peru
    Ireland
    United Kingdom
    Not interested in those countries

The conservatives told us last year that they would sort things out

Not .......we will sort things out BUT not if other countries are also in recession

I hope you are not stupid enough to fall for these fall promises

In response to a post on Sunak missing 4 of his 5 'judge me and my party' pledges, the poster now known as NinianOpinion1927 came back with Norman Lamont on lower public sector than private sector productivity (idle nurses and care workers?), and accused me of somehow 'bashing European nationalists'!

Total gobbledegook!

Although I suppose when it comes to a discussion about economic competence and public reaction to the lack of it, bringing Lamont in does add something. Even if that is by going off on the biggest and least relevant tangent possible.

Anyway, Black Wednesday.
    European Nationalists ........think the blackshirts

This oh I am not a tory claim you made and often make is complete nonsense as this thread clearly shows

You just can't help yourself , sticking up for them relentlessly

But you are not a tory ........yeah OK if you say so 😂
    I just like facts Sludge.

If you say Manchester United play at Anfield, and I say they play at Old Trafford, that doesn't make me a Man United fan.

You don't solve problems by making up the cause of them. In reality, the opposite is true.

Yes but in most countries they haven't suffered from austerity for 14 years in addition to brexit and actually investing in infrustructure/people so we suffer more than most.

It’s all a bit confusing isn’t it. In January 2023 Sunak made five pledges that he said we could blame him about if they were not achieved. Around this time last year, it was being said that one of the pledges was a dead cert - inflation was going to half because the rises in energy prices in autumn 2022 were going to go out of the equation thereby bringing in the fall of inflation Sunak wanted. The PM has been crowing about having halved inflation for the last few months, so he, obviously, wanted that one of his pledges to be taken seriously, yet when another of his pledges goes completely wrong as the economy officially shrinks rather than grows, the familiar faces are on here saying it’s not that important, plenty of countries are in recession, yet the PM they rush to defend said himself that he should carry the can if the economy wasn’t growing.

How many of his 5 pledges has he met?
    Just halving inflation isn't it,although claiming that as his own when he blames the initial increases on outside factors is a bit of a stretch.
    Reducing boat crossings possibly, although it has been shown that bad weather was a factor, despite James Cleverly's claims it didn't.

Do you seriously think that I don't ask why people need to go to food banks?! As a Christian my role is to help the needy regardless of the cause of their condition.

Like others have said, I don't see how we can expect or need to have "growth" year on year.

Do you seriously think that I don't ask why people need to go to food banks?! As a Christian my role is to help the needy regardless of the cause of their condition.

Like others have said, I don't see how we can expect or need to have "growth" year on year.
    Growth means we are expected to buy more and more "stuff" every year to create demand. That's unsustainable and poor stewardship of the world' resources.

I am constantly amazed that someone who has values of caring for others can vote conservative

Can't you see the irony ?

Total gobbledegook!

Anyway, Black Wednesday.
    Jon, i was referencing a recent thread where you attempted mental gymnastics to defend that Labour candidate and summarised by implying the real enemy was white Nationlists even though the protagonist was Asian and the target of his thoughts was Jewish. Not sure what fascism or white people had to do with it. Although you didn't explicitly use the word white, that's what you was getting at, read it yourself.

As for Normon Lamont, productivity in the public sector hasn't recovered since covid yet it has recovered in the private sector. This lag has in part caused the recession and contradicts your view in another thread where you and Doucas claimed the public sector had higher productivity, using some study on the NHS as your example.

Total gobbledegook!

Anyway, Black Wednesday.
    Wasn't Black Wednesday when George Soros and his mates devalued our currency and made a killing? Or was that another occasion? Yet you want to imply it was Lamont's incompetence