+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City 1970

Cardiff City 1970

Re: Cardiff City 1970

Loved that, couldn’t spot myself in the crowd though.

Not me neither.

I’m probably in it - I was in my usual place for that time, leaning on Boy’s enclosure fence behind the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m probably in it - I was in my usual place for that time, leaning on Boy’s enclosure fence behind the goal.
    I think I may have ventured to the back of the Grange End by 1970, it was a rite of passage mid teens

The old black fella in the raincoat, fag hanging out his gob, holding his son on the barriers with the chain link fencing attached was a regular in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    We've rarely had a better team, loved Ian Gibson in midfield, just £35K.

Great Tochack volley. This was a bit before I was born, thanks for posting 👍

We must have been close to one another then TOBW. Did they have that black tar on top of the wall then or did that come later?

Now that was football. If only the players here today could play like that!

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Great days. Loved Toshack

Are we in dark grey or lighter grey?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Are we in dark grey or lighter grey?

I can't remember if I was still behind the goal or had started to venture over to the Bob Bank near the camera gantry. Anyhow, great times. Toshack was unplayable in the air and Gibson was a magician.

That was my second ever game watching the City. I’d seen Tosh score 2 against Birmingham a few weeks before, then he scored 3 against Hull, and then he was gone. Twice I saw him play for the Bluebirds and 5 goals scored. That’s why he has always been my ultimate idol.

I've always thought that it was John Toshacks last game for us?
    It was my first game that season after four months RAF training in Lincoln and midway through my Air Traffic Controller training at Shawbury (best forces food anywhere) just outside Shrewsbury.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    We must have been close to one another then TOBW. Did they have that black tar on top of the wall then or did that come later?

The tar on the back wall was dark red iirc

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think I may have ventured to the back of the Grange End by 1970, it was a rite of passage mid teens

The old black fella in the raincoat, fag hanging out his gob, holding his son on the barriers with the chain link fencing attached was a regular in that spot.
    Dunno whether I followed him to the Bob Bank in the mid 70s or he followed me, but he and his boy were always stood leaning on the same barrier as long as it wasn’t pissing down - you could always here him shouting “hold them out Cardiff”(some things never change!) even if you couldn’t see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Think it was later Des.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I've always thought that it was John Toshacks last game for us?
    It was my first game that season after four months RAF training in Lincoln and midway through my Air Traffic Controller training at Shawbury (best forces food anywhere) just outside Shrewsbury.
    It was his last home game, i can’t remember if we played the away leg of the Nantes tie in the week before we played Hull or whether it was the week after, but Tosh’s last match for us was at QPR a week after we stuffed Hull.

It was his last home game, i can’t remember if we played the away leg of the Nantes tie in the week before we played Hull or whether it was the week after, but Tosh’s last match for us was at QPR a week after we stuffed Hull.

The away game in Nantes was midweek (4 November) after the Hull game (31 October) and before the QPR game (7 November). The Nantes game was won 2-1 with goals from Toshack (12) and Brian Clark (76). It was Toshack's last goal for Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    The away game in Nantes was midweek (4 November) after the Hull game (31 October) and before the QPR game (7 November). The Nantes game was won 2-1 with goals from Toshack (12) and Brian Clark (76). It was Toshack's last goal for Cardiff.

Memories of the one eared Echo seller outside the ground, obligatory cloth cap and long rain mac.

Memories of the one eared Echo seller outside the ground, obligatory cloth cap and long rain mac.
    I was at this game with my dad in Canton stand , my first season watching Cardiff City

Loved that, couldn’t spot myself in the crowd though.
    No Doubt at the back of the Grange end mate. Bouncing up and down on the wooden beams
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    No Doubt at the back of the Grange end mate. Bouncing up and down on the wooden beams
    Spedger
    Or underneath picking up half crowns…..more like ha’pennies really