Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
Good post

I appreciate it is tougher, being of a positive mindset I focus on how youngsters could avoid landing up in that situation, but I realise we are not all the same, and that some people are really struggling. How the hell do we deal with this mess, that is another matter!
It's not about 'avoiding being in the situation' at a societal level though is it? In fact thinking about it in those terms distracts from the overall point. Yeah an individual can likely improve their own circumstances and move on from their low paid job with enough effort/practice etc. But if that low paid job absolutely needs to exist (you could lump in lots of vital front line roles to this category) then whoever is in that role will be in the circumstances outlined above. Far too many vital jobs don't pay enough for that person to meet basic obligations, especially when you look at it at a local/regional level. If a job pays the same across the country (as is the case in most of the public sector), that job requires some in person delivery but living costs vary drastically across the country then you have a crisis.