+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you understand a FUNDAMENTALIST to be?

What do you understand a FUNDAMENTALIST to be?

Gofer Blue recently posted:

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by a "fundamentalist". As TP has stated, Christianity is all about faith in a person not a philosophy. To me, as a Christian, faith in Jesus is fundamental so I suppose by that definition I must be a fundamentalist! Unfortunately these days the term fundamentalist has taken on a more sinister meaning - someone who is very judgemental, intolerant and in extreme cases violent to those who do not agree with them (especially in the U.S.A. it seems). These are not the attributes of a “real” Christian.

Do you see all fundamentalists to be the same?
    Do you agree with Gofer Blue?
    Or do you have another take?

Re: What do you understand a FUNDAMENTALIST to be?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by a "fundamentalist". As TP has stated, Christianity is all about faith in a person not a philosophy. To me, as a Christian, faith in Jesus is fundamental so I suppose by that definition I must be a fundamentalist! Unfortunately these days the term fundamentalist has taken on a more sinister meaning - someone who is very judgemental, intolerant and in extreme cases violent to those who do not agree with them (especially in the U.S.A. it seems). These are not the attributes of a “real” Christian.

We're using different meanings, interpretation of the word 'fundamentalist'.

The context of our respective use of the word is also very different.

You know this though.

Fund-A-Mentalist-Anyone prepared to back Trump Financially.

Religious fundamentalists are usually considered to be those who believe that stories in their religious tomes are literal and not metaphorical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fund-A-Mentalist-Anyone prepared to back Trump Financially.

I think whilst there are variations on a theme , anyone in 2024 who goes on about what was said by so and so in the bible or Koran and believes all this God business to be true is a fundamentalist

If someone is agnostic about God but just gets on with life then that's fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

You know this though.
    Do you have a definition?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post

Religious nut jobs wasting their entire lives basically……

I'd say it's someone who takes a strict and literal interpretation of their texts, often resistant to the way the modern world is developing, and believing their own path is the only true one.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'd say it's someone who takes a strict and literal interpretation of their texts, often resistant to the way the modern world is developing, and believing their own path is the only true one.
    In other words, they wear blinkers, ignore modern ideas and stick blindly to God's version of life, origin and destiny.

I think you've summed up the perception of most people who have faith in science and modern philosophers and are hopeful that the worlds best selling book is a fraud, or at best a relic and unrelated to the truth at all.

The big question is, are they wise to make that assumption?

If that were true, then we would see all intelligent scientists reject the Bible in it's given context, we would be able to discredit large sections of the Bible as outdated and irrelevant, just like many science manuals from decades ago, that are now relics from an era of misunderstanding and ignorance that is shown up by current understanding.

However we DO find many scientists that are successful in their field and also acknowledge the Bible is the inerrant Word of God in all it addresses within it's pages; and that it has never been outdated by new discoveries!
    In fact it has led to individuals MAKING new discoveries that science did not know before, and yes I can give you examples should you wish to see them.

So I put it to you, that those that believe in the Bible as fundemantal truth in all it addresses are wise, and those that think that science and human thought alone can answer the big questions we all have are ultimately foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Do you have a definition?
    Yes.

Do you have a definition or are you sticking to a description of Jesus being fundamental to you and you alone as your definition?

A Freedom fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Religious nut jobs wasting their entire lives basically……
    I would answer that by saying that I consider I wasted my life BEFORE I became a Christian at the age of 34. When I look back I can scarcely believe how my life has changed since then. I have done so much in the service of Jesus to share his love in practical ways with others, something I would never have done before, being a pretty self centred, I'm alright Jack, prat that I was. I will not elaborate any further because, as the apostle Paul said, we are to boast only about the Lord (Jesus) alone and not what we have done in his name.

Yes.

Do you have a definition or are you sticking to a description of Jesus being fundamental to you and you alone as your definition?
    So, what is it then?

Faith in Jesus the person is fundamental to Christianity as whole, not just to me, but to Christians everywhere.

The Bible is not a single book. It consists of two sections, the Old Testament (OT) and the New Testament (NT).
    The Old Testament is a collection of thirty-nine books about the history and religion of the people of Israel. Each book possesses a unique tone, style, and message. Individually, they include stories, laws, and sayings that are intended to function as models of religious and ethical conduct. Together, through hundreds of characters and detailed events, they represent a unified narrative about God and his attempt to relate to humankind by relating to a specific group of people.

There is a lot of discussion about the OT, about its historical accuracy and whether some of the stories are factual or based on myths and legends. As TP has said thanks to archaeological studies more and more is being discovered about the accuracy of the information therein. Some things we will never be able to prove but the bottom line for me is that the OT predicts the coming of the Messiah – Jesus.

To me the NT, consisting of 27 books, is the all important part of the Bible (TP will probably disagree with me for lessening the importance of the OT!). It describes the coming of Jesus, his life and times and his words and works here on Earth. It ends with his resurrection after being put to death by crucifixion, then the beginnings of the Christian church and what follows on from that.

The OT I accept as the history and religion of the people of Israel i.e. the Jews and I don't get too hung up on the some of the stranger stuff therein as it has little bearing on the way I and others should live our lives as Christians i.e. as a Gentile follower of Jesus subject to the new covenant, rather than an OT Jew under the old covenant.

From Jesus's teaching it is clear that he is far more concerned about the heart of a person (rather than whether we believe in talking snakes etc.), how we love God and our fellow human beings by putting our faith into action i.e. walking the walk rather than talking the talk!

So, what is it then?

Faith in Jesus the person is fundamental to Christianity as whole, not just to me, but to Christians everywhere.

The Bible is not a single book. It consists of two sections, the Old Testament (OT) and the New Testament (NT).
    The Old Testament is a collection of thirty-nine books about the history and religion of the people of Israel. Each book possesses a unique tone, style, and message. Individually, they include stories, laws, and sayings that are intended to function as models of religious and ethical conduct. Together, through hundreds of characters and detailed events, they represent a unified narrative about God and his attempt to relate to humankind by relating to a specific group of people.

There is a lot of discussion about the OT, about its historical accuracy and whether some of the stories are factual or based on myths and legends. As TP has said thanks to archaeological studies more and more is being discovered about the accuracy of the information therein. Some things we will never be able to prove but the bottom line for me is that the OT predicts the coming of the Messiah – Jesus.

To me the NT, consisting of 27 books, is the all important part of the Bible (TP will probably disagree with me for lessening the importance of the OT!). It describes the coming of Jesus, his life and times and his words and works here on Earth. It ends with his resurrection after being put to death by crucifixion, then the beginnings of the Christian church and what follows on from that.

The OT I accept as the history and religion of the people of Israel i.e. the Jews and I don't get too hung up on the some of the stranger stuff therein as it has little bearing on the way I and others should live our lives as Christians i.e. as a Gentile follower of Jesus subject to the new covenant, rather than an OT Jew under the old covenant.

From Jesus's teaching it is clear that he is far more concerned about the heart of a person (rather than whether we believe in talking snakes etc.), how we love God and our fellow human beings by putting our faith into action i.e. walking the walk rather than talking the talk!
    I wouldn't disagree when it comes to the importance of the NT for seeking the truth re Jesus and why we need Him to resolve our greatest problem.
    And in the NT I have noticed that over 80% of the answers (people are seeking) can be found in John's Gospel; and this is probably because John speaks more about who Jesus actually is than any other part of Scripture.

So, what is it then?

Thanks Gofer for your heartfelt and personal thoughts which are interesting to read as you've taken some time to consider your relationship to your chosen religion after much reading.

I don't see that as definition though, it reads more like your individual feelings on the matter.

Thanks Gofer for your heartfelt and personal thoughts which are interesting to read as you've taken some time to consider your relationship to your chosen religion after much reading.

I don't see that as definition though, it reads more like your individual feelings on the matter.
    I believe that's all we are looking for, to hear and consider other peoples views.

Thanks for your response. OK, so, I'll try to define it in just two sentences – difficult to condense it any further:

A Christian fundamentalist is someone who puts his faith and trust in Jesus Christ and believes that he is God in human form. He/she follows the example set by Jesus by which God expects they should live, whilst accepting that they are human and will never be fully Christ-like, but by his grace they are justified.

Earlier in this thread TBG has defined fundamentalists as: Religious fundamentalists are usually considered to be those who believe that stories in their religious tomes are literal and not metaphorical. I have come across this definition of course but this is only a part of the picture for Christians.

In response to this I would say that for the vast majority of times it is clear when a Bible story is a literal one or metaphorical one but I hold my hands up and admit that there are occasions when that is not clear cut. If I could travel back in time and be a frontline witness I would know for sure but that is not going to happen. All I can say is that if God is indeed the creator of everything, then the seemingly impossible (to 21st century eyes) must be possible?

Again, can I stress that my faith is in Jesus himself. Although he made references to the Old Testament, he rarely mentions much outside the OT books of Isaiah or the Psalms (I found this useful reference about this here: https://biblecentral.info/library/ch...-jesus-christ/ ) In fact, on reading this, I was surprised how little he did quote from the OT.

If some of the more controversial events were that important to Jesus/God he would surely have emphasised them I think, hence I don't worry about them. In fact I think they can be a useful deflection tool for non-believers who would secretly rather that Jesus/God didn't exist, or to demonstrate their supposed intellectual superiority over those who are believers.

Finally, I would be interested to see how you would define “a fundamentalist”.

I didn't 'define' anything. I stated what is widely understood by as being the definition of the word.

Thanks for your response. OK, so, I'll try to define it in just two sentences – difficult to condense it any further:

A Christian fundamentalist is someone who puts his faith and trust in Jesus Christ and believes that he is God in human form. He/she follows the example set by Jesus by which God expects they should live, whilst accepting that they are human and will never be fully Christ-like, but by his grace they are justified.

Earlier in this thread TBG has defined fundamentalists as: Religious fundamentalists are usually considered to be those who believe that stories in their religious tomes are literal and not metaphorical. I have come across this definition of course but this is only a part of the picture for Christians.

In response to this I would say that for the vast majority of times it is clear when a Bible story is a literal one or metaphorical one but I hold my hands up and admit that there are occasions when that is not clear cut. If I could travel back in time and be a frontline witness I would know for sure but that is not going to happen. All I can say is that if God is indeed the creator of everything, then the seemingly impossible (to 21st century eyes) must be possible?

Again, can I stress that my faith is in Jesus himself. Although he made references to the Old Testament, he rarely mentions much outside the OT books of Isaiah or the Psalms (I found this useful reference about this here: https://biblecentral.info/library/ch...-jesus-christ/ ) In fact, on reading this, I was surprised how little he did quote from the OT.

If some of the more controversial events were that important to Jesus/God he would surely have emphasised them I think, hence I don't worry about them. In fact I think they can be a useful deflection tool for non-believers who would secretly rather that Jesus/God didn't exist, or to demonstrate their supposed intellectual superiority over those who are believers.

Finally, I would be interested to see how you would define “a fundamentalist”.
    Religious fundamentalism is the practice of either an individual or a group that look for literal interpretations of original religious books or text. They then practice these teaching in all aspects yo their lives. They believe that their beliefs are the only ones that are 'true' and there is no other interpretation. There is no other option or alternatives to beliefs or teachings.

I have a negative opinion as the lack of flexibility or willingness to accept other people's opinions or beliefs I find confrontational and not pragmatic. It also limits to compromise.

I throwing in that individual religious fundamentalism such as your own differs wildly from some group fundamentalism which is much more problematic in some parts of the world and included violence, retribution and tyranny.

Although you have very strong convictions and beliefs about your faith I'd suggest you also have the capacity to compromise.

The fundamentalism I was referring to, in the context of my original post differs greatly to your understanding and another context all together.

Best of luck to you butt.

You know this though.
    That's very true. The issue is, most people throw the word at individuals assuming there is only one meaning!
    Like many english words, it has at least two meanings and in this case depending on which one you mean, they fall in both the positive and negative categories.

....just for fun....A fundamentalist, at the core, adheres staunchly to the fundamental principles of a particular doctrine, often showcasing an unwavering commitment to the foundational tenets that form the very fundament of their beliefs. This adherence is not merely superficial; it is fundamentally rooted in a deep-seated conviction that the base principles are not just central but absolutely essential. The mindset of a fundamentalist, thus, revolves around preserving the purity of these core ideals, considering them the fundamental axis around which their entire belief system orbits, often leading to a rigid interpretation that eschews deviation from what is perceived as the fundamental truth.....

TED talk at Grangetown Pavilion 2 hours before KO on Saturday. Bring food.

Edit: I've played all the Assassin's Creed games and I am a hidden one.

Well fundament means 'buttocks', 'arse' or 'a nus'.

So I'm guessing fundamentalist means.......

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Well fundament means 'buttocks', 'arse' or 'a nus'.

So I'm guessing fundamentalist means.......

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    ....just for fun....A fundamentalist, at the core, adheres staunchly to the fundamental principles of a particular doctrine, often showcasing an unwavering commitment to the foundational tenets that form the very fundament of their beliefs. This adherence is not merely superficial; it is fundamentally rooted in a deep-seated conviction that the base principles are not just central but absolutely essential. The mindset of a fundamentalist, thus, revolves around preserving the purity of these core ideals, considering them the fundamental axis around which their entire belief system orbits, often leading to a rigid interpretation that eschews deviation from what is perceived as the fundamental truth.....

TED talk at Grangetown Pavilion 2 hours before KO on Saturday. Bring food.

Edit: I've played all the Assassin's Creed games and I am a hidden one.
    Brilliant Ever thought of becoming a politician? Clearly you have the ability to make a long and apparently meaningful sounding speech whilst actually saying very little!