+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wingers

Wingers

Probably my favourite position growing up to watch and play.

These days reduced to the Jack Grealish style of mostly checking back and laying off or constantly cutting in.

Last night was screaming for some width, for both teams really. Bowler and Tanner didn't see much of the ball but when they did it's often crowded out. Grant similarly the other side.

It's not just us but modern football in general where inside forwards have basically taken over. Could we not even for a bit just let bowler or Tanner have a run down the left, get to the byline, cut it back.

I loved the Tanner goal against Swansea of course but surely sometimes it has to be mixed up, particularly when you don't have the marauding full backs some teams have.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ti6kg1H36...Jv1vJalNWzioif

Re: Wingers

I hear what your saying and it bores me to tears when a winger checks back and passes it back to the full back to cross, or to recycle the ball back into defensive midfield or the centre half, (or even worse the keeper!) but I think getting to the byline and getting crosses in is easier said than done these days. Gone are the days a full back is isolated one v one against the a tricky winger who can beat him with a bit of skill. Teams work so hard on defensive shape without the ball that shape and discipline is killing skill and entertainment, especially when a team just sits deep with two banks of defence (or low block as the kids call it these days).

You only have to look at the way we set up last night, we played with almost two sets of full backs!!! When they had the ball Grant and Bowler were marking their wide men and our fullbacks were spare behind them, its so negative and boring to watch.

What doesnt help is we dont have a Whitts or a Mcphail in the middle who can pick out runners, so even if Grant and Bowler make a great run off the ball theres no one to play them in. Colwill has a bit of quality but hes further forward and usually receving the ball with his back to goal on the half turn. We need someone with qualioty in the quarterbafk role and when the options are Siopis, Wintle ot Ralls, well,... just, well.

I have noticed that our wingers are often covered by 2 players too. Bowler always seems to have 2 to beat

That should in theory leave space elsewhere but I never see it

These modern defenders wouldn't have a clue against a team with Willie Anderson on the left and Dave Bennett on the right with Alan Warboys in the middle. It bores me rigid seeing these, 'inverted wingers,' never beating a man and a centre forward waiting for a bus that never comes. The whole point in attacking so that defenders are turned. Now it rarely ever happens. Progress? Methinks not.

StT.
    <><

I know the Dave Jones sides had no bottle but imagine them against this set up. It would be a cricket score.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    These modern defenders wouldn't have a clue against a team with Willie Anderson on the left and Dave Bennett on the right with Alan Warboys in the middle. It bores me rigid seeing these, 'inverted wingers,' never beating a man and a centre forward waiting for a bus that never comes. The whole point in attacking so that defenders are turned. Now it rarely ever happens. Progress? Methinks not.

StT.
    <><
    Wingers have had to evolve, as JR said teams work harder now on things such as defensive shape, so players are having to evolve to counter the tactics deployed against them. I am not entirely convinced that some winger from the 60s would just dance and skip around them, they were able to do this in their day because they had 1 fullback to beat and tactics weren't as evolved as in the modern day, they made the best of the way the game was played.

Oh for another Peter King! One of my all time favourite City players.

Only once did Bowler not check and turn back inside. He actually made the byline inside the box but didn’t have the power in his ‘swinger’ right foot to make any impression. Saying that, crosses into the box aren’t exactly going to be attacked by 7ft 2 Etete, he’s not tall enough

John Buchanan, Doug Livermore and /or Alan Campbell win the ball. They feed Willie Anderson who beats the full back and either Adrian Alson scores or sets up Tony Evans to score. Now that's when football was exciting!

We just got to wait until Pep starts doing it and then they will all copy. Doku (?) is a throwback winger on the correct side though.

Tanner and Bowler have tried on their proper side and didn't have a clue what to do, they aren't very good either

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Wingers have had to evolve, as JR said teams work harder now on things such as defensive shape, so players are having to evolve to counter the tactics deployed against them. I am not entirely convinced that some winger from the 60s would just dance and skip around them, they were able to do this in their day because they had 1 fullback to beat and tactics weren't as evolved as in the modern day, they made the best of the way the game was played.
    Ollie Tanner was playing like anold fashioned winger for the first month to six weeks of the season and not doing too badly out of it, then Bulut got him playing like a full back.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ollie Tanner was playing like anold fashioned winger for the first month to six weeks of the season and not doing too badly out of it, then Bulut got him playing like a full back.
    Another example of Bulut not being able to motivate or coach players to improve
    He’s a busted flush and has failed as a Championship manager

I think he thought he could put himself in the window for a Premiership team if he did well.

More like a Welsh premier league manager than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Another example of Bulut not being able to motivate or coach players to improve
    He’s a busted flush and has failed as a Championship manager

I think he thought he could put himself in the window for a Premiership team if he did well.

More like a Welsh premier league manager than anything else
    I doubt if TNS would touch him with a barge pole!

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    That's my point Dembe. These players who play out wide these days rarely have the skills of a winger. They are not wingers. Again, I haven't said, disparagingly, that, 'some winger from the 60's,' etc. I've mentioned two above ability wingers at Tier 2 level purposely.

Give me Willie Anderson or Dave Bennett over Josh Bowler any day.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That's my point Dembe. These players who play out wide these days rarely have the skills of a winger. They are not wingers. Again, I haven't said, disparagingly, that, 'some winger from the 60's,' etc. I've mentioned two above ability wingers at Tier 2 level purposely.

StT.
    <><
    Gerry Anderson or Hywell Bennett would be an improvement on Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Gerry Anderson or Hywell Bennett would be an improvement on Bowler
    Why not play Bowler on the left?

StT.
    <><

No point in having wingers here….

On Tuesday, in the first half, Romeo was marking their centre forward, Bowler was dropping back to mark their left midfield giving their full backs acres of space allowing them to come forward.

Very poor tactically

Sorry peeps, but Ollie (thanks for the goal) Tanner, is not good enough for this level of football

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Sorry peeps, but Ollie (thanks for the goal) Tanner, is not good enough for this level of football
    Great goal, but nothing since, you're probably right, unfortunately.

StT.
    <><
    You gave 2 examples of old school wingers, I have the opinion that they would also struggle with the way defences set up these days, even if in their day they had the tools to beat a man. I just don't think it would be effective. Bob mentioned Tanner above, there's a reason you rarely see them try to beat a man and its not because they don't have the tools as such, its just that they probably realise they'll get little change out of it so don't bother..and cut in instead.

I could also be talking out of my arse, there are plenty with more refined football knowledge than me