+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wingers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wingers

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Wingers have had to evolve, as JR said teams work harder now on things such as defensive shape, so players are having to evolve to counter the tactics deployed against them. I am not entirely convinced that some winger from the 60s would just dance and skip around them, they were able to do this in their day because they had 1 fullback to beat and tactics weren't as evolved as in the modern day, they made the best of the way the game was played.
    That's my point Dembe. These players who play out wide these days rarely have the skills of a winger. They are not wingers. Again, I haven't said, disparagingly, that, 'some winger from the 60's,' etc. I've mentioned two above ability wingers at Tier 2 level purposely.

Give me Willie Anderson or Dave Bennett over Josh Bowler any day.

StT.
    <><

Re: Wingers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    That's my point Dembe. These players who play out wide these days rarely have the skills of a winger. They are not wingers. Again, I haven't said, disparagingly, that, 'some winger from the 60's,' etc. I've mentioned two above ability wingers at Tier 2 level purposely.

Give me Willie Anderson or Dave Bennett over Josh Bowler any day.

StT.
    <><
    You gave 2 examples of old school wingers, I have the opinion that they would also struggle with the way defences set up these days, even if in their day they had the tools to beat a man. I just don't think it would be effective. Bob mentioned Tanner above, there's a reason you rarely see them try to beat a man and its not because they don't have the tools as such, its just that they probably realise they'll get little change out of it so don't bother..and cut in instead.

I could also be talking out of my arse, there are plenty with more refined football knowledge than me