+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quiz question

Quiz question

Mozzer2 mentioned that we've gone 77 days without a home win.

What is the longest we've gone (in days) without a home win in the league or cup (not including Welsh cup)?

Re: Quiz question

85-86 was grim, the next season too at home but there were a couple of cup wins in there so probably not either.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    85-86 was grim, the next season too at home but there were a couple of cup wins in there so probably not either.
    Years before that

74/75 season - 81 days?

Got to be the back end of one season running into the start of a new one hasn’t it?- There’s about ninety days for a start.

In saying that, could it be 62/63 , the season of the big freeze?

There was the Second World War as well of course.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Got to be the back end of one season running into the start of a new one hasn’t it?- There’s about ninety days for a start.

In saying that, could it be 62/63 , the season of the big freeze?

There was the Second World War as well of course.
    Yes. It was a bit of a trick question. We went well over 2,000 days without a win at home during the Second World War. I did write down the number of days, but can't find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes. It was a bit of a trick question. We went well over 2,000 days without a win at home during the Second World War. I did write down the number of days, but can't find it now.
    I’m sure I got told that we played friendlies “during the war” (OFAH)

I'd like to know the answer to this question but not including the war periods

What about the season we had to apply for re-election in the 30s? Or any other season around those bleak times.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’m sure I got told that we played friendlies “during the war” (OFAH)
    We did, pretty successfully as well. They weren't league or cup fixtures though.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to this question but not including the war periods
    Needless to say, the longest periods at home without a win are when those runs straddle two seasons and they incorporate the summer break.

The longest was 189 days, between 25 Feb and 2 Sept 1981. We beat Newcastle 1-0 in the league and then Exeter in the League cup. The winless run was only 6 games, though.

In terms of league games, we went 186 days without a win in 1974 under Frank O'Farrell and Jimmy Andrews. We beat Boro 3-2 in April and York City 3-2 in October. That run was 7 without a win.

The longest gap in a single season was under Neil Harris, when we went 145 days without a win before beating Leeds. Covid played a part in that, though. The longest gap in a non-Covid season was 116 between December 1961 and April 1962 with wins either end against Villa and Birmingham. We only played 6 home games between those dates.

In more recent times, we went 111 days without a home win last season, ended when Lamouchi's side beat Reading in Feb 2023.

The longest we've had to wait into a season for a home win is until 3 November. One was in 2020, after a late start to the season because of Covid and in 1989 under Burrows (initially) and Ashurst. That was a first home win at the 9th attempt. It also brought about an end to 9 games at home without a win, something that would only happen again in 2022/23, but that time was the only time in the same season in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We did, pretty successfully as well. They weren't league or cup fixtures though.
    Didn’t we beat Swansea about 5 times one wartime season? Not so much the doube as the kwinz.