+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stan Bowles

Stan Bowles

According to the BBC news website, Stan Bowles, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s,has died aged 75. A top player in his day.

Re: Stan Bowles

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    According to the BBC news website, Stan Bowles, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s,has died aged 75. A top player in his day.
    R.I.P Stan. I remember seeing him playing at NP with QPR. A true maverick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68394453

RIP Stanley. When football had so many entertainers.

Sad news. Amazing talent.

QPR being on London Weekend Television had more than their fair share of TV coverage back in the day... three channels and Stan was a household name, a shining light.

Not your Gary Lineker type shining light, more of a Paul Gascoigne or Eric Cantona I'll do what I want when I want kind of player.

Two fingers to the hierarchy 👏 👏 👏

RIP Stan.

So many of that generation seem to have suffered from alzheimer’s.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    And the side in red shirts and yellow shorts in that sequence was?

QPR were a really entertaining side around 1975 to 77 and Stan Bowles was the main reason for that - I really wanted them to win the title in the tear they finished second to Liverpool.

RIP

Fantastic player. Amazing that back then, if your team got relegated, you stayed with them. Good to see Dave Thomas too, socks down. Always rated him.

The game today lacks characters like Stan Bowles, a talented & enigmatic player. RIP

R.I.P. Stan Bowles, the great entertainter.

"Stanley, Stanley where's your wife, where's your wife, where's your wife...."

Did Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles ever play together in the same side. It got me thinking that over the years England wasted some amazing talent and entertainers such as the 2 above and others such as Alan Hudson, Matt Le Tissier, Duncan Mackenzie, Frank Worthington, Paul Gascogne to name a few. They never seemed to achieve their full potential on the international stage.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    "Stanley, Stanley where's your wife, where's your wife, where's your wife...."
    It was only last week that I was saying how much abuse would be thrown at the opposition’s best players in the fans attempt to put them off their game, and was was recalling that exact story about Stan Bowles… right down to Stanley suddenly stopping in his tracks and the shrugging of his shoulders. Followed by the ironic cheer from the fans, and the increase in the volume of the song until the end of the game.

With so many individual talents during those days, it took someone special to stand out amongst them and Stanley Bowles was one of those standouts.

TOBW - the side in red shirts and yellow shorts in that sequence was Cardiff City - it was my birthday treat and we lost 3-0 and the game was shown on the Big Match the next day. My birthday treat the previous year was a 4-3 defeat at Fulham when Tony Villars made his debut. There is a common threat every time my birthday treat was to see the City in London we lost.

Stan Bowles

Sadly passed away.
    I remember him playing against City.
    He was getting ready to take a throw in.
    Some wagg shouts,Why are you hoggng the touch line Stan?Are you waiting for the result of the 3.30?
    Stan turned around and said,What was the result mate?
    You don't get characters in the in the game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Sadly passed away.
    I remember him playing against City.
    He was getting ready to take a throw in.
    Some wagg shouts,Why are you hoggng the touch line Stan?Are you waiting for the result of the 3.30?
    Stan turned around and said,What was the result mate?
    You don't get characters in the in the game anymore.
    Already a thread with 2000 views a few lines below.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The game today lacks characters like Stan Bowles, a talented & enigmatic player. RIP

You are correct, if players can’t track back defend, coaches don’t wanna know them

merge please RIP Stan

Modern coaches/managers would be horrified at the antics of the entertaining mavericks of the past. They’d be having clutchers on the sidelines. Saying that, England’s managers of the time didn’t give them many caps, they were wary of them. You could imagine Ramsey acting all Capt Mainwaring with them, ‘You stupid boy(s)”.

Glad I witnessed that era though, they certainly brightened up the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Already a thread with 2000 views a few lines below.
    Stan is worthy of two threads RiP Stan the Man6