+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: greatest player you have seen In a city shirt

Re: greatest player you have seen In a city shirt

We've had something like this before. Two players stand out for me,Eddie Newton and Brian Harris from back in the day

Jon Parkin - many different meanings to 'great'.

Koumas is an obvious one.

His son is on the bench for Liverpool in the final today actually. Will probably be in the next welsh squad.

Mike England’s a good shout, but have City had another player who was seriously considered as a candidate to be the best player in the world turn out for them besides John Charles? Kevin Ratcliffe would be up there I suppose and Gary Medel has had some career, we also had someone who won more than a hundred caps for the country with the biggest population in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

His son is on the bench for Liverpool in the final today actually. Will probably be in the next welsh squad.
    Just checked he was born September 2005. Thats the season koumas played for us. Hope that makes you all feel old.

Born in Chester. Eligible for England wales and Cyprus.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mike England’s a good shout, but have City had another player who was seriously considered as a candidate to best the best player in the world turn out for them besides John Charles? Kevin Ratcliffe would be up there I suppose and Gary Medel has had some career, we also had someone who won more than a hundred caps for the country with the biggest population in the world.
    And the reason for a pretty big reserve game attendance as well. Fan Zhiyi.

Be surprised if he's called up for the playoffs, maybe the pre-Euros friendly in June

Although if he comes off the bench today and does something then who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mike England’s a good shout, but have City had another player who was seriously considered as a candidate to be the best player in the world turn out for them besides John Charles? Kevin Ratcliffe would be up there I suppose and Gary Medel has had some career, we also had someone who won more than a hundred caps for the country with the biggest population in the world.
    Fan zhiyi. I remember the chant "we've got Chinese internationals!" He got sent off v Palace?

Surprised inamato not mentioned yet.

Goalkeeper wise kasper Schmeichel perhaps only genuine world class keeper we have had. He was even class for us.

John Charles is unquestionably the greatest player I have seen in a City shirt based on past reputation. When we signed him he was nearing 32, carrying a significant knee injury and was a shadow of his former self.

We signed former England international Gerry Francis on loan for a while in the mid 80's , seemed a great coup at the time but he was well past his best by then and had little impact for us.

Whitts.

Fan zhiyi. I remember the chant "we've got Chinese internationals!" He got sent off v Palace?

Surprised inamato not mentioned yet.

Goalkeeper wise kasper Schmeichel perhaps only genuine world class keeper we have had. He was even class for us.
    I remember Schmeichel playing for us and I didn't rate him. He made mistakes. We were better defensively that season when Enckelman came in, but he'll always be remembered for the cock up in the cup final.

John Charles has always been rated one of if not the greatest ever British player so for those of us lucky enough to see him pull on a blue jersey, it. has to be him.

As a side issue he officially opened our school sport's hall in the late 1960's. He looked so impressive.

International

john Charles!

Bet no-one remembers thi s one...

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Bet no-one remembers thi s one...
    He was a star, wasn’t he. Would be a marketing dream nowadays.

I’ve always maintained Aaron Ramsey is a better footballer than Gareth Bale and he was a superstar so it’s gotta be Rambo for me but I never saw the likes of Tosh and Charles.

Jay Bothroyd was a special talent also but didn’t have the attitude to match.

One of the most skilful players I’ve seen in a City shirt, was Dave Bennett

Who is the most decorated (ex-)City player? Is it Aaron Ramsey ?
    Anyway, I'm too young to have seen John Charles, but for me it's either Hasselbaink or Medel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Who is the most decorated (ex-)City player? Is it Aaron Ramsey ?
    Anyway, I'm too young to have seen John Charles, but for me it's either Hasselbaink or Medel.
    Ross Turnbull has a champions league winners medal. Not sure if there are any others.

John Charles
    Ivor Allchurch
    Derek Tapscott
    Trevor Ford (though that was in a 6-a-side competition at Ninian Park years after he retired)
    Neville Southall (wore a City shirt when playing against Norway(???) at Ninian Park)

Saw Alan Evans playing darts in a city shirt...does that count?

Brian Clark.
    Never saw him in a City shirt, but I did see him in an England shirt for a testimonial game.
    Also saw him in Coryton Crescent once and believe he was wearing a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    actually I did mention him yesterday, but dismissed him after I stuck with 3

Wiki says he is assistant coach to the England team
    he was top scorer in the premier League for 2 different clubs and top scorer in la liga in between