+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time to scrap the EFL Cup?

Time to scrap the EFL Cup?

Just have one tournament for teams outside the PL, extended to National League to replace the EFL Cup and Trophy.

Re: Time to scrap the EFL Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just have one tournament for teams outside the PL, extended to National League to replace the EFL Cup and Trophy.
    Why downgrade a cup competition?
    Lower league teams with a dream of playing a big team?

A slightly up market Freight rover, leyland daf, Auto windscreens, VG stores thing cup competition.

That's a very very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Why downgrade a cup competition?
    Lower league teams with a dream of playing a big team?
    Don't you think it's already been well downgraded? Suppose we managed to win a couple of early rounds, would you be interested in playing Liverpool's reserves?

PL teams don't want it unless they get to the semis. I reckon L1 and L2 sides would rather not have another cup competition.

Don't you think it's already been well downgraded? Suppose we managed to win a couple of early rounds, would you be interested in playing Liverpool's reserves?

PL teams don't want it unless they get to the semis. I reckon L1 and L2 sides would rather not have another cup competition.
    Exactly.
    One reason why they should be made to play in it!
    Plenty of money to be made for the lesser clubs playing these "reserves".

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    That's a very very bad idea.
    Agreed.

Isn't there already a lower league cup ?
    E f l trophy ?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Exactly.
    One reason why they should be made to play in it!
    Plenty of money to be made for the lesser clubs playing these "reserves".
    Is there?

Ipswich had 20k for the visit of Wolves and had a smaller crowd against Fulham than they have for most Championship games this season.

There isn't the interest even with Championship sides playing PL teams unless they're one of the biggest clubs or they're in the quarter finals. We played Brighton a few seasons ago and had 6k.

The last time we arguably had a big side at home in the League cup was 1986, when Chelsea beat us. They were hardly the side they have been for the last 20 years at the time, either.

I don’t see why? If it was exclusively a closed competition between the big 6 at the latter stages I could see an argument for it (although I wouldn’t agree with it) but it isn’t.

In the last 5 tournaments Fulham, Boro, Forest, Leicester, Brentford and Southampton all made the semis and Newcastle and Villa were both finalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I don’t see why? If it was exclusively a closed competition between the big 6 at the latter stages I could see an argument for it (although I wouldn’t agree with it) but it isn’t.

In the last 5 tournaments Fulham, Boro, Forest, Leicester, Brentford and Southampton all made the semis and Newcastle and Villa were both finalists.
    Fair enough, but I can't really see any benefits for a club like ours to take it seriously. If Championship sides (even lower division teams) can't be bothered until one gets to the latter stages, is there a point to it?

Fair enough, but I can't really see any benefits for a club like ours to take it seriously. If Championship sides (even lower division teams) can't be bothered until one gets to the latter stages, is there a point to it?
    It was our last major final. We came within a penalty kick of winning our first senior cup in close to a century. I'm disappointed every year when we get knocked of the FA Cup and the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It was our last major final. We came within a penalty kick of winning our first senior cup in close to a century. I'm disappointed every year when we get knocked of the FA Cup and the League Cup.
    Ditto

Other than the fact the competition gave us one of our greatest moments in living memory?

PL clubs dont want it yet the competition has been dominated by Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea in the last 20 years, which is about as long as ive been hearing calls for it be scrapped, or for the clubs in Europe to be allowed not enter.etc.etc.

Scrapping replays was a good idea and also extra time in the early rounds, but its still got a place IMO.

I would like to have seen it become football league only when the premier league was formed. It would have made the fa cup more attractive for premier league teams, and given more lower division clubs like us a more regular chance of winning something at wembley.

It wouldn't happen now because selling it to the global market is the biggest factor now, which it wasn't 30 years ago. The chance is gone, but I think it was possible to build a reputable competition that lower clubs would really have seen as a realistic way to make a memorable season.

If this happened then there's no way it could have European qualification as the prize, though nobody has actually qualified for Europe because of winning the EFL Cup since Swansea in 2013.

And not have days like this to remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibD6lXa9Cg

International

Liverpool are having an open-top bus celebration

No. Never. It's a Cup played by the whole 92. People belittle it when the big clubs win it, but imagine if we had won it. I remember when Luton won it and Andy Dibble made an outstanding penalty save, and then Luton came back from 2-1 down to win it 3-2. What an outstanding final. Back in those days my dream was to get back to Division 2, not to get promoted, but because back then you had a chance, albiet a slim one of winning cups. Mid table, decent football, and crowds of 15,000. That was my wish.

I'd make the Premier sides play all their games against lower Division sides away from home.
    I'd also ensure they started in Round One, along with everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No. Never. It's a Cup played by the whole 92. People belittle it when the big clubs win it, but imagine if we had won it. I remember when Luton won it and Andy Dibble made an outstanding penalty save, and then Luton came back from 2-1 down to win it 3-2. What an outstanding final. Back in those days my dream was to get back to Division 2, not to get promoted, but because back then you had a chance, albiet a slim one of winning cups. Mid table, decent football, and crowds of 15,000. That was my wish.
    Well we have the 15000 crowds

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well we have the 15000 crowds
    Dreams do come true.