+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players being converted from one position to another

Players being converted from one position to another

Off the back of another thread suggesting that Etete should play in a different role, it got me thinking about how many other players we have ever had over the years who were converted from one position to another. (think Ray Kennedy joining Liverpool as a striker and being converted to a midfield player…)

Famously we played Josh MacGennis in goal when in fact he was an international striker and I think that Leighton Philips may have been a midfielder before becoming an accomplished centre back.

I’m sure that there must be others though…..

Re: Players being converted from one position to another

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Off the back of another thread suggesting that Etete should play in a different role, it got me thinking about how many other players we have ever had over the years who were converted from one position to another. (think Ray Kennedy joining Liverpool as a striker and being converted to a midfield player…)

Famously we played Josh MacGennis in goal when in fact he was an international striker and I think that Leighton Philips may have been a midfielder before becoming an accomplished centre back.

John McClelland was a useless teenage centre forward who played a few games for us in our 74/75 relegation campaign and was released at the end of the season only to re emerge a few years later as a high quality centre back who played for Rangers and Watford and Leeds in the old First Division and was a fixture in the Northern Ireland team in the late 70s and early eighties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...er,_born_1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Every mention of Magennis makes me think of the ‘on the pitch throw in incident’

Callum Paterson - full back to midfielder to premier league centre forward.

Gary Bell winger to fullback ?

Mark Kennedy.

Ashurst once played Nathan Blake at centre half and Gary Bennett up front but not for long (and not at the same time).

International

John Charles again. Centre forward and Centre half.

Phil Dwyer, centre back for the City, centre forward, and scoring against Peter Shilton, for Wales.

Ollie Tanner came on a few times as a sub and had a big impact as a winger before being turned into the pretty ordinary full back he is today.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    John McClelland was a useless teenage centre forward who played a few games for us in our 74/75 relegation campaign and was released at the end of the season only to re emerge a few years later as a high quality centre back who played for Rangers and Watford and Leeds in the old First Division and was a fixture in the Northern Ireland team in the late 70s and early eighties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...er,_born_1955)
    I didn’t know that he played for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Oh yes. Of course.

Ginge was a striker in his youth team days, reserves, i do believe.

James Collins a centre-back-striker extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ollie Tanner came on a few times as a sub and had a big impact as a winger before being turned into the pretty ordinary full back he is today.
    ollie tanner wishes he was ordinary....

Paul Warhurst comes to mind. Played at striker as Wednesday had an injury crisis, banged in something like 10 goals in as many games, even got called up to the England squad. Then the goals dried up and went back to being a center back.

Joelinton a more recent one, was a forward when joining Newcastle, turned into a very good defensive minded central midfielder.

Ruud Gullit was more of a striker in his early career, but as his career moved on he moved further back towards defence and sweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Paul Warhurst comes to mind. Played at striker as Wednesday had an injury crisis, banged in something like 10 goals in as many games, even got called up to the England squad. Then the goals dried up and went back to being a center back.

Joelinton a more recent one, was a forward when joining Newcastle, turned into a very good defensive minded central midfielder.
    Yes, but crucially, neither of them played for us ;-)

Was it Mark Kennedy to we signed as a winger that turned to a left back, not a huge switch, think Neil Ardley did the same for us.

he's also filled in as a centre back in a back 3 while at Sheff Weds

a loose description if I ever saw one

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    John Charles again. Centre forward and Centre half.
    In the same game. Juventus would play him as Centre forward and once he'd scored they'd move him to Centre half.

Or so the story goes.

International

Henry played for Monaco and Juventus as a winger, and Wenger switched him back to a Striker.

Michail Antonio from West Ham was a has player right back, right wing and striker.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    a loose description if I ever saw one
    There are a few on here that would love to see us still hoofing the ball up to him.

Peter Whittingham