Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
I emailed Octopus, and now they’ve put me on a “loyal customer tariff” ….£120 / month less ! **I chose the variable opinion.
I'm going to switch from Variable to Octopus Tracker April 2024 v1 the unit costs are much cheaper and Martin Lewis has done extensive research says don't get any fixed rate deals.

Brittish Gas have just rung me to retain and offered their best fixed rate similar to Octopus and £175 credit to stop my switch, but I think I'll still proceed and switch to the Tracker.

Electricity
Unit rate:
16.32 p/kWh
Standing charge:
61.19 p/day
Gas
Unit rate:
4.32 p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.47 p/day
Description
Tracker gives you the most transparent energy pricing in the UK. Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price. The unit rate is capped at 100p/kWh for electricity and 30p/kWh for gas (including VAT).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...ntly-worth-it/

The Octopus Tracker tariff – prices change daily based on wholesale rates

It's available to existing Octopus customers (though others can just switch first to its standard tariff, then to this) as a dual-fuel, electricity-only or gas-only tariff.

Rates change daily depending on wholesale costs (and where you live), which makes it more of a gamble, but over recent months it would've very substantially undercut the Price Cap.

If it does start to get expensive, you can just switch back to its price-capped standard tariff (though it may take two weeks and you can't go back to the Tracker for nine months). Plus you'll need to get a smart meter if you don't already have one.

While rates are cheaper right now, they can spike suddenly if wholesale costs rise
How much one week's energy would cost
Octopus has recently changed how it calculates unit rates for this tariff