+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Jacobson On Radio 5

Joe Jacobson On Radio 5

Talking about his experiences as one of Britain's few Jewish footballers with reference to recent events in the middle east

He comes over as a really level headed chap and spoke very well

His father used to post on here I believe and he must be very proud of him

Re: Joe Jacobson On Radio 5

Keep politics out of football

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Keep politics out of football
    That's basically what he was saying and why he was getting the abuse

Thought he spoke well - amazing to think it'll be nineteen years next month since he made his debut for us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thought he spoke well - amazing to think it'll be nineteen years next month since he made his debut for us.
    He's a very bright guy and no wonder he's the club captain

I bet the players really respect him

What a shame we and he were not pushing higher at the time

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's a very bright guy and no wonder he's the club captain

I bet the players really respect him

What a shame we and he were not pushing higher at the time
    We were a championship club then and hes been predominently a league 1 / 2 footballer throughout his career.

Hes had a sterling career though, over 650 senior games at a club playing no lower than League Two level is not be sniffed at.

We were a championship club then and hes been predominently a league 1 / 2 footballer throughout his career.

Hes had a sterling career though, over 650 senior games at a club playing no lower than League Two level is not be sniffed at.
    I stand corrected

Says the man in the orthopaedic shoe

I don't know him, but a couple of my mates do and said he's a smart and nice guy.

It's good he's speaking out on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't know him, but a couple of my mates do and said he's a smart and nice guy.

It's good he's speaking out on it too.
    They were talking about the anti Semitic and anti Islamic stuff that has surfaced since October although he said it was a small number

They were talking about the anti Semitic and anti Islamic stuff that has surfaced since October although he said it was a small number
    👍

Talking about his experiences as one of Britain's few Jewish footballers with reference to recent events in the middle east

He comes over as a really level headed chap and spoke very well

His father used to post on here I believe and he must be very proud of him
    How does anyone know what religion a player is and furthermore, who cares??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    How does anyone know what religion a player is and furthermore, who cares??!!
    His name is clearly a Jewish name

And the fact he's one of very few Jewish players

As to who cares well those that would send him or Islamic players offensive messages

As to who cares well those that would send him or Islamic players offensive messages
    Is it? I would never assume that anyone with that name (or an other particular name) is automatically of a certain religion.

I'd never really considered that he might be Jewish until I saw him featured on Breakfast tv yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'd never really considered that he might be Jewish until I saw him featured on Breakfast tv yesterday.
    About fifteen years ago (may have been more actually) a Jewish publication I’d heard of (Jewish Chronicle?) did a story on Joe. I can’t remember if his father, who posted on here as H, who I used to see at Academy games had told me about their religion or I just assumed they must be Jewish with that surname. Whichever it was, the surprise for me about that story was not that Joe was Jewish, but that there were so few Jews playing in the professional game at that time - in fact, Joe might have been the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    About fifteen years ago (may have been more actually) a Jewish publication I’d heard of (Jewish Chronicle?) did a story on Joe. I can’t remember if his father, who posted on here as H, who I used to see at Academy games had told me about their religion or I just assumed they must be Jewish with that surname. Whichever it was, the surprise for me about that story was not that Joe was Jewish, but that there were so few Jews playing in the professional game at that time - in fact, Joe might have been the only one.
    Very few Jewish and Muslim players in British football

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Is it? I would never assume that anyone with that name (or an other particular name) is automatically of a certain religion.
    I'd tend to assume someone with that name would have Jewish heritage even if they weren't practising jews. Same woth Goldstein, etc. I always assumed Joe was Jewish.

Very few Jewish and Muslim players in British football
    Who cares. Shall clubs start handing out contracts to players who are not good enough just to tick a religious diversity box?

Who cares. Shall clubs start handing out contracts to players who are not good enough just to tick a religious diversity box?
    You are getting a bit daily mail here

It's not about diversity at all really

In our case we have large Asian communities very close to the ground , loads of local kids love football and play the game yet we rarely see kids from the local area playing for us

Maybe we have scouts , maybe we don't

You are getting a bit daily mail here

It's not about diversity at all really

In our case we have large Asian communities very close to the ground , loads of local kids love football and play the game yet we rarely see kids from the local area playing for us

Maybe we have scouts , maybe we don't
    or maybe they are just not good enough.

or maybe they are just not good enough
    All of them ?

Righteo

All of them ?

Righteo
    How many white kids from Canton, Grangetown and Riverside play for us? We are a championship football club playing in a league full of footballers from all over the world, not a local Sunday league team.

You have to be exceptional to make it at this level, being some kid who loves football and plays it in the park local to the stadium doesnt quite cut the mustard I am afraid. You need a bit more than that.

How many white kids from Canton, Grangetown and Riverside play for us? We are a championship football club playing in a league full of footballers from all over the world, not a local Sunday league team.

You have to be exceptional to make it at this level, being some kid who loves football and plays it in the park local to the stadium doesnt quite cut the mustard I am afraid. You need a bit more than that.
    The point being that football clubs and relevant to us , Cardiff City, seem to miss out on local talent

The point being that football clubs and relevant to us , Cardiff City, seem to miss out on local talent
    Because the game has moved on to an international level. The days of clubs being represented by a load of local lads has long gone.

Quite what this has to do with there not being many jewish footballers in the football league I dont know. Jews make up 0.2% of the worlds population, how many proffesional footballers do you expect to be in the 4 English divisions?

As for muslims, one of the best footballer in the premier league the last 6/7 years is a muslim. If youve got the talent you will make it regardless of creed or religion.

Because the game has moved on to an international level. The days of clubs being represented by a load of local lads has long gone.

Quite what this has to do with there not being many jewish footballers in the football league I dont know. Jews make up 0.2% of the worlds population, how many proffesional footballers do you expect to be in the 4 English divisions?

As for muslims, one of the best footballer in the premier league the last 6/7 years is a muslim. If youve got the talent you will make it regardless of creed or religion.
    You'd think an avid watcher of the premier league like sludge would know that