+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Static Caravans in Saundersfoot or a place in Spain ?

International

Thoughts on Static Caravans in Saundersfoot or a place in Spain ?

I think I'll be tempted to get away from Cardiff for the odd week/month at a time in retirement.

I'm tempted to get an apartment small villa in Spain that I could rent in the summer and use in the winter Autumn Spring, but it's more hassle and Brexit has dampened the attraction with daft rules.

Static van would be easier, especially Saundersfoot/pembroke or the other side of the bridge, although they are a rip-off, with fees and purchase of probably £100K for ten years and then no real sell on value.

Have any of you gone down either route and thoughts and experiences?

I would imagine Caravan prices will slow back down in the coming years as demand reduces, but no signs yet?

Or maybe just use the money for plenty of holidays all over?

Re: Thoughts on Static Caravans in Saundersfoot or a place in Spain ?

Why not a static caravan in Spain - the best of both worlds! Or even a Spanish caravan?

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Why not a static caravan in Spain - the best of both worlds! Or even a Spanish caravan?

Too hot isn't it?

Probably miles cheaper?

A nice static caravan in Saundersfoot is my idea of heaven

But they are pricey so something similar in fontygary or Porthkerry would be ideal

Surely it has to be Spain. Don't be put off by the stay allowance as you are allowed up to 90 days in a 180 day period; in other words 180 days a year. I would avoid caravans especially in the UK; I looked into it. All googling led me to the conclusion the whole thing is a rip off - expensive site fees; rules that prohibit sales unless done through the site operator; renting out through the site operator only with hefty charges and you have to change your caravan every 10 years or so. And of course the weather in the UK is so unpredictable.

I would look into renting an apartment in Spain without the hassle of ownership.

Bought a town house in Spain in the summer of 2022 - 20 minutes from the coast and 50 minutes from Málaga airport in a village of about 600 people but it has a supermarket 4 restaurants and a municipal pool

easy process as the estate agent took us around houses we had seen but then when they fully realised what we wanted found three ideal properties in our price range, organised a solicitor for us and it was all done between the end of June and the beginning of September - and really cheap fees

The estate agents have even kept spare keys for us as we had people coming back and fore to do new windows for us - not an issue - it is our little haven for now when we want to get away

I would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Surely it has to be Spain. Don't be put off by the stay allowance as you are allowed up to 90 days in a 180 day period; in other words 180 days a year. I would avoid caravans especially in the UK; I looked into it. All googling led me to the conclusion the whole thing is a rip off - expensive site fees; rules that prohibit sales unless done through the site operator; renting out through the site operator only with hefty charges and you have to change your caravan every 10 years or so. And of course the weather in the UK is so unpredictable.

I would look into renting an apartment in Spain without the hassle of ownership.
    I read that Spain & other countries are lobbying to change the rules so that the 180 days can be taken in one chunk.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I think I'll be tempted to get away from Cardiff for the odd week/month at a time in retirement.

I'm tempted to get an apartment small villa in Spain that I could rent in the summer and use in the winter Autumn Spring, but it's more hassle and Brexit has dampened the attraction with daft rules.

Static van would be easier, especially Saundersfoot/pembroke or the other side of the bridge, although they are a rip-off, with fees and purchase of probably £100K for ten years and then no real sell on value.

Have any of you gone down either route and thoughts and experiences?

I would imagine Caravan prices will slow back down in the coming years as demand reduces, but no signs yet?

Or maybe just use the money for plenty of holidays all over?

I've often thought about investing in a small holiday place (mainly here, rather than abroad) and always concluded that your final option of using your money to try different places is the way to go. Maybe more expensive, but much more flexibility and potentially less hassle.

Just have a holiday now and again. No need for all the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I've often thought about investing in a small holiday place (mainly here, rather than abroad) and always concluded that your final option of using your money to try different places is the way to go. Maybe more expensive, but much more flexibility and potentially less hassle.
    A motorhome gives all of these options. We were in Bosnia & Croatia last summer and there were many Brits who had driven that far. I did but in a car.

We use the house as much as a base than a place to spend all the time so go elsewhere in Spain when there rather than just staying in the house - we just love the more or less guaranteed warmth as well lovely people

If it was me, I would 100% go with somewhere in Spain. Decent weather from the end of March through til November. We have had some very poor summer's here in my lifetime, and they are very very short indeed. Get some of that sun on your face and purchase something in Spain. Infact, I am looking to purchase something in Lanzarote for when I retire in a few years time. Guaranteed sun for 12 months of the year!

I'd be surprised if it was the cheaper option. A cheap place in the UK is still going to be £150-200k. That's a lot of expensive foreign holidays.

Well first the bad news - 20mph applies down west too. If you can see beyond that, then a van down there is the way to go. Just means you can use it without the hassle of big costs on flights etc and it’s a home from home.

It needn’t be quite as expensive as you say, go for a quiet park, privately run without the pool, bar etc. check the site fees and don’t go for the obvious big sites because while it seems appealing now, it won’t when the big invoice comes through your door. Most importantly check the length of time a caravan is allowed on site, if you shop around some don’t have an age limit but of course except you to keep it in good condition

We've done the reverse - have a house in mid Wales but a flat in Cardiff so we can enjoy the gigs, theatre, football 😁 etc at weekends. We had thought we might rent it out when we're not using it but in the event didn't like the idea of people using what was effectively our home and maybe not treating it with respect. It might be worth thinking about whether you would be comfortable with that before deciding to buy abroad.

For me, the drawback of owning a holiday home abroad would be the temptation to use it rather than go to new destinations. However, we are all God's children....

Trecco Bay

Porthcawl

July

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I'd be surprised if it was the cheaper option. A cheap place in the UK is still going to be £150-200k. That's a lot of expensive foreign holidays.
    If that's the case, then I agree with you!

If that's the case, then I agree with you!
    You may pick up a bargain in Blaenau Gwent 👍

Before you think of buying a van in the UK check out this fb group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488...076/?ref=share

I live in Pembs. It's great down here. If you've got the dosh why not move down. A nice 3 bed bungalow will be less than a semi in Rhiwbina.

International

Thanks for the replies, some great info sand plenty of food for thought.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Bought a town house in Spain in the summer of 2022 - 20 minutes from the coast and 50 minutes from Málaga airport in a village of about 600 people but it has a supermarket 4 restaurants and a municipal pool

easy process as the estate agent took us around houses we had seen but then when they fully realised what we wanted found three ideal properties in our price range, organised a solicitor for us and it was all done between the end of June and the beginning of September - and really cheap fees

The estate agents have even kept spare keys for us as we had people coming back and fore to do new windows for us - not an issue - it is our little haven for now when we want to get away

I would highly recommend it.
    Nice one, sounds great

International

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    A motorhome gives all of these options. We were in Bosnia & Croatia last summer and there were many Brits who had driven that far. I did but in a car.
    A couple of mates doing that now a few months through France and Spain, they absolutely love it but seems a bit like glorified Camping to me, I might hire one for a week and see how I get on

International

And when retired can book at short notice and vary things up and grab some baragains.

International

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Well first the bad news - 20mph applies down west too. If you can see beyond that, then a van down there is the way to go. Just means you can use it without the hassle of big costs on flights etc and it’s a home from home.

It needn’t be quite as expensive as you say, go for a quiet park, privately run without the pool, bar etc. check the site fees and don’t go for the obvious big sites because while it seems appealing now, it won’t when the big invoice comes through your door. Most importantly check the length of time a caravan is allowed on site, if you shop around some don’t have an age limit but of course except you to keep it in good condition
    Not bothered when i'm retired I dawdle around p!ssing off all the workers