+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rubin Colwill - The Welsh Jari Litmanen?

Rubin Colwill - The Welsh Jari Litmanen?

All the naysayers and Negative Nellies were questioning or poo-pooing the “growing problems” cited for his absence a while back. Just like Stefan Bajetic at Liverpool is having, as it is an issue often associated with taller footballers.

But now we are reaping the benefits. Injury free, he is lasting full games, game after game. That sprint last night before he cut inside for a shot was so satisfying to watch. The little flick out on the left flank somewhere around the 70 minute mark was something many Premiership players can’t even do.

Tall. Two footed. Good shot. Passer. Crosser. And some pace, too. He now reminds me so much of one of my favourite players in my younger years in his style - Jari Litmanen. He sees people in space before he nonchalantly flicks off the pass.

Ruben Colwill is “The Welsh Jari Litmanen”. Watching him is an absolute pleasure on the eyes. What a talented kid. Both of my irises absolutely love him.

Re: Rubin Colwill - The Welsh Jari Litmanen?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    All the naysayers and Negative Nellies were questioning or poo-pooing the “growing problems” cited for his absence a while back. Just like Stefan Bajetic at Liverpool is having, as it is an issue often associated with taller footballers.

But now we are reaping the benefits. Injury free, he is lasting full games, game after game. That sprint last night before he cut inside for a shot was so satisfying to watch. The little flick out on the left flank somewhere around the 70 minute mark was something many Premiership players can’t even do.

Tall. Two footed. Good shot. Passer. Crosser. And some pace, too. He now reminds me so much of one of my favourite players in my younger years in his style - Jari Litmanen. He sees people in space before he nonchalantly flicks off the pass.

Ruben Colwill is “The Welsh Jari Litmanen”. Watching him is an absolute pleasure on the eyes. What a talented kid. Both of my irises absolutely love him.
    **** me......

Bloody hell you've been coming out with some... interesting stuff today

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    **** me......
    🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bloody hell you've been coming out with some... interesting stuff today
    Loving it - fantastic stuff 👍

I vaguely remember someone describing Jari Litmanen as "someone who could unlock defences"

Ive yet to see that of Rubin Colwill. I like him, but I don't think he's the type of player you described Litmanen as.

He always looks knackered to me and he just hasn’t got that turn of speed to outpace opponents, yes, he can beat a man but rarely hares off with the ball.

He certainly isn't "lasting full games".

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He always looks knackered to me and he just hasn’t got that turn of speed to outpace opponents, yes, he can beat a man but rarely hares off with the ball.
    Commentators said he can't be expected to play 2 x a week every week. I found that strange. He is 21 years old, should be at peak fitness? His engine does seem to be an issue.

You do realise Colwill came on in the sixty ninth minute last night do you?

Am I a lone voice in disagreement? I would LOVE Colwill to come good and fulfil his potential, I really would...BUT.
    He is nearly 22. He is like bambi on the field....easily bumped off the ball.....never jumps when a ball is lifted forward (he just stands in front of the defender)....he has the occasional flicks, but he looks clumsy with not much turn of speed. His one opportunity last night he fluffed... good run forward but then scuffed the shot tamely when there was space ahead of him.

...and yes he should be able to play two full games in a week...if selected...

people talk about ages 22-23 like its the twighlight of their careers. Plenty of players hit their peaks at 27+ so there is more to come..settle down

Colwill is a clear talent. One that has been wasted and is still being misused in my book. He needs to start and often to build up his experience at this level. Once he has a few games in a row he seems to really shine...only for bulut to come down on him like a wet blanket

same thing happened to tanner..did great then bulut got all jealous and dropped him for being over confident after swansea? useless lump of a self egotistical loony of a manager

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Am I a lone voice in disagreement? I would LOVE Colwill to come good and fulfil his potential, I really would...BUT.
    He is nearly 22. He is like bambi on the field....easily bumped off the ball.....never jumps when a ball is lifted forward (he just stands in front of the defender)....he has the occasional flicks, but he looks clumsy with not much turn of speed. His one opportunity last night he fluffed... good run forward but then scuffed the shot tamely when there was space ahead of him.

I tend to agree. I'd love him to do well, but he's not being coached properly at Cardiff, and I fear he might just be loaned out and drift away. I hope I'm wrong, because he clearly has something, but there's been a few managers now who have struggled to get him to produce it regularly on the pitch.

He’s got something, but pace definitely
    Isn’t it

I can't see him winning the Champions League anytime soon.

Wasn't Litmanen around 5'8"?

No point having all the skill in the world if you can't hold any sort of condition

I would have generally agreed for most of this season but I really think he’s improved a lot, I think he’s done enough recently to make me think he can be a key player next season if he continues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I tend to agree. I'd love him to do well, but he's not being coached properly at Cardiff, and I fear he might just be loaned out and drift away. I hope I'm wrong, because he clearly has something, but there's been a few managers now who have struggled to get him to produce it regularly on the pitch.
    You can't coach someone to be strong and fast. He's started for 3 managers at City, yet none of them seem to be able to get "the best" out of him. He beat two men yesterday, only the had the goalie to beat and chose to shoot from outside the area. Who coached him to do that? Maybe this is his best.

I agree with that. I noticed him not jumping and thought his shot was weak and taken too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You can't coach someone to be strong and fast. He's started for 3 managers at City, yet none of them seem to be able to get "the best" out of him. He beat two men yesterday, only the had the goalie to beat and chose to shoot from outside the area. Who coached him to do that? Maybe this is his best.
    I'm pretty sure there were still defenders between him and the goal

Not exactly as I remember it, but he could have at least taken another touch or two. Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 07.12.46.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not exactly as I remember it, but he could have at least taken another touch or two. Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 07.12.46.jpg
    Thing is, that's his game, that's what he's good at supposedly, so when he is in those positions he needs to make the odd one pay. It's only the Bristol City game where he came up with the goods and the odds were stacked firmly against him. He's been in similar positions to that on a few occasions and in every occasion he either drags the ball or doesn't make the keeper work hard enough. That's about composure in those areas. Maybe having too long to think hampers him.

Most of them are on this board.