+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best Cardiff City result (and performance?) of the season as second placed Ipswich are beaten.

Best Cardiff City result (and performance?) of the season as second placed Ipswich are beaten.

Late, late goals win it for City - Preston, Lincoln and Hartlepool revisited!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Best Cardiff City result (and performance?) of the season as second placed Ipswich are beaten.

Like many I arrived at the match yesterday thinking that a draw would be a good result. Walking to the stadium I said to my son “if we were to win it would be a fantastic result”. Well, fantastic it was.
    We started looking to get forward - what a change that was. We pressed and showed some pace - two more huge changes. We looked as if we wanted to win! The first half was very encouraging and by far our best first half performance of the season.
    My concern at half time was that we would see the usual raft of substitutions. Until their goal, we were seeing less of the ball and falling back too much. Their goal seemed an inevitability. At that point my thoughts were that if we lost the performance was still a big step forward. I was disappointed to see Turnbull go off and Bowler stay on. Grant came over to the right, where I believe he should always play and the momentum picked up again. It wasn’t Ipswich sitting back, it was us pushing them back. Getting the equaliser was great and well deserved. Seeing the winning goal go in produced not only a fantastic win but the most exciting moment of the season so far. The drive home was the best this season!

I thought all worked hard and played better yesterday, even Wintle��.
    My only criticism as already mentioned relates to Bowler and Grant playing on the wrong side. Time to give Bowler a rest and start with O’Dowda on the left.

Re: Best Cardiff City result (and performance?) of the season as second placed Ipswich are beaten.

Yesterday was a great result but I still think the best performance was Swansea at home - appreciate that they were in a poor run of form but we dominated that game unlike we had in my memory

But yesterday was up there for guts determination and last minute joy which we all love

What I find interesting from the 2 minute highlights on Sky, something I hadn't noticed watching it yesterday on TV, was that O'Dowda was constantly in their penalty area when we attacked. Their defence didn't pick up on him at all. He could have equalised, laid on Wintle's equaliser, then was totally unmarked for the winner. If we'd have defended like that I'm sure questions would have been raised, but that's another issue.

Had Tanner, or anyone else, gone on instead of him, would he have done the same? I say Tanner as the player in the most similar position, nothing else intended. I'm not sure. I don't think it was part of the instructions given to O'Dowda, but he had enough of a footballing brain to get himself in the right positions and a knack for finding space.

Could he even do a job up front for us, or am I totally overthinking things?

After we equalised and it seemed like everyone in the stadium could smell the blood of a winning goal, the manager brought on Joe Ralls. My immediate thought was nooooo… I hope he’s not being brought on to see out the point.

I don’t know what Joe’s instructions were, but not long after he came on the ball came to him nearish where I sit in the corner of the grandstand, and surrounded by the opposition, if he were going to see the game out he would have taken it and held it up by the corner flag.

Like I said, I don’t know what his instructions were, but it seemed to me that Joe grasped the situation perfectly, and drove forward to their penalty area and bought time to bring both Wilson-Esbrand and O’Dowder into play in an attacking move… this kept the momentum going.

I also thought Grant was more effective out on the right hand side, by being able to take on his man, get to the by-line and look for a cross. This gave their defence an extra dimension to look out for, instead of having just previously just having to force Bowler on to his wrong foot and make him stop the attacking momentum. I would like to see Grant and Bowler play on the opposite sides to which they are currently playing.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    After we equalised and it seemed like everyone in the stadium could smell the blood of a winning goal, the manager brought on Joe Ralls. My immediate thought was nooooo… I hope he’s not being brought on to see out the point.

I don’t know what Joe’s instructions were, but not long after he came on the ball came to him nearish where I sit in the corner of the grandstand, and surrounded by the opposition, if he were going to see the game out he would have taken it and held it up by the corner flag.

Like I said, I don’t know what his instructions were, but it seemed to me that Joe grasped the situation perfectly, and drove forward to their penalty area and bought time to bring both Wilson-Esbrand and O’Dowder into play in an attacking move… this kept the momentum going.

I also thought Grant was more effective out on the right hand side, by being able to take on his man, get to the by-line and look for a cross. This gave their defence an extra dimension to look out for, instead of having just previously just having to force Bowler on to his wrong foot and make him stop the attacking momentum. I would like to see Grant and Bowler play on the opposite sides to which they are currently playing.
    I think the grant driving run you refer to, led to the corner for the goal - their left back was shouting for a foul on him prior to the corner and after the goal

I’m still as high as a 🪁 and I’ve not even so much as sniffed a 🍄

Good report as always Bob. Re. Gavin Gordon and that £500,000 we paid for him. Despite it looking like we had paid way over the odds for him, it was worth every penny for the way he clattered into Rio Ferdinand in that infamous FA Cup v Leeds in 2001. Ferdinand had to go off injured, and Leeds never looked as comfortable in defence with him off the pitch.

Some interesting replies in this thread, I’ll just add that Callum O’Dowda is a City player who you can usually rely on to make the right on field decisions and it’s worth remembering that before his early season injury he’d already made a couple of goals with his ability to win balls on the far post that was seen to such good effect yesterday.

Soul 68, clogging Rio Ferdinand is probably the thing Gavin Gordon is remembered for most now isn’t it or was scoring five against Rushden and Diamonds his career high?

The piece says only 1 change in the which was meite I'm pretty sure it was 2 as siposis also came in for ralls?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The piece says only 1 change in the which was meite I'm pretty sure it was 2 as siposis also came in for ralls?
    Yeah, you’re right, I”ll change it later

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY TOO View Post
    Like many I arrived at the match yesterday thinking that a draw would be a good result. Walking to the stadium I said to my son “if we were to win it would be a fantastic result”. Well, fantastic it was.
    We started looking to get forward - what a change that was. We pressed and showed some pace - two more huge changes. We looked as if we wanted to win! The first half was very encouraging and by far our best first half performance of the season.
    My concern at half time was that we would see the usual raft of substitutions. Until their goal, we were seeing less of the ball and falling back too much. Their goal seemed an inevitability. At that point my thoughts were that if we lost the performance was still a big step forward. I was disappointed to see Turnbull go off and Bowler stay on. Grant came over to the right, where I believe he should always play and the momentum picked up again. It wasn’t Ipswich sitting back, it was us pushing them back. Getting the equaliser was great and well deserved. Seeing the winning goal go in produced not only a fantastic win but the most exciting moment of the season so far. The drive home was the best this season!

I thought all worked hard and played better yesterday, even Wintle��.
    My only criticism as already mentioned relates to Bowler and Grant playing on the wrong side. Time to give Bowler a rest and start with O’Dowda on the left.
    Good post

Not one thing to disagree with there. Good point about using COD and Grant left/right as well

Also completely agree we pushed them back , rather than them sitting back.

I had to smile afterwards because the Sky commentator made a point of emphasising how often Ipswich have scored in the last 15 minutes of the game (this was at the 75 minute mark). Then City go and score two in extra time to win the game..... Talk about the commentator's curse!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Some interesting replies in this thread, I’ll just add that Callum O’Dowda is a City player who you can usually rely on to make the right on field decisions and it’s worth remembering that before his early season injury he’d already made a couple of goals with his ability to win balls on the far post that was seen to such good effect yesterday.

Soul 68, clogging Rio Ferdinand is probably the thing Gavin Gordon is remembered for most now isn’t it or was scoring five against Rushden and Diamonds his career high?
    I'd go for clogging Ferdinand as his career high, with the fie scored against a very poor Rushden & Diamonds coming in at a poor second lol. Where did he go after leaving us?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'd go for clogging Ferdinand as his career high, with the fie scored against a very poor Rushden & Diamonds coming in at a poor second lol. Where did he go after leaving us?
    Seems there was a more famous Gavin Gordon (I’d. ever heard of him mind).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Gordon_(actor)

As for ours, he’s a postman now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Gordon_(footballer)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What I find interesting from the 2 minute highlights on Sky, something I hadn't noticed watching it yesterday on TV, was that O'Dowda was constantly in their penalty area when we attacked. Their defence didn't pick up on him at all. He could have equalised, laid on Wintle's equaliser, then was totally unmarked for the winner. If we'd have defended like that I'm sure questions would have been raised, but that's another issue.

Had Tanner, or anyone else, gone on instead of him, would he have done the same? I say Tanner as the player in the most similar position, nothing else intended. I'm not sure. I don't think it was part of the instructions given to O'Dowda, but he had enough of a footballing brain to get himself in the right positions and a knack for finding space.

Could he even do a job up front for us, or am I totally overthinking things?
    He has certainly been wasted at wing back/full back in the past. Far more effective further forward.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Seems there was a more famous Gavin Gordon (I’d. ever heard of him mind).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Gordon_(actor)

As for ours, he’s a postman now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Gordon_(footballer)
    Cheers Bob, so in 56 appearances he scored 13 goals. it was all downhill after he left us for Notts County. No wonder he had slipped from my mind.

Good report Bob. The goal we conceded was about the pace on the ball from moore. The disappointing thing for me was that he was allowed to compose himself and get the shot off. Great finish, but moore doesn't have the quickest of feet, he set himself like a tree falling and we didn't make it difficult enough for him. O Dowda's return header for the equaliser was awful, it should have been looped as there was no player in a good position, although the terrible defending really helped, and what it tells us is that if we get quality balls into the box we have a chance, so well done Colwill, the one before it in the 'Corridor of uncertainty' (Love that, a David brent line if ever i've heard one ) was a wand of a cross. All in all a much better performance. Energy, not so much thinking etc. Phillips is making a difference, a better footballer than Mc guiness, a quicker mind, more quality in his distribution, more purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good report Bob. The goal we conceded was about the pace on the ball from moore. The disappointing thing for me was that he was allowed to compose himself and get the shot off. Great finish, but moore doesn't have the quickest of feet, he set himself like a tree falling and we didn't make it difficult enough for him. O Dowda's return header for the equaliser was awful, it should have been looped as there was no player in a good position, although the terrible defending really helped, and what it tells us is that if we get quality balls into the box we have a chance, so well done Colwill, the one before it in the 'Corridor of uncertainty' (Love that, a David brent line if ever i've heard one ) was a wand of a cross. All in all a much better performance. Energy, not so much thinking etc. Phillips is making a difference, a better footballer than Mc guiness, a quicker mind, more quality in his distribution, more purpose.
    David Brent pah! Sir Geoffrey Boycott if you please.