+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristol or Swansea?

Bristol or Swansea?

Who do you want to win/lose today?

Yes I know want both to lose etc etc......

But any preference?

Only ask as after our win at Bristol was some talk on twitter that Bristol was actually the bigger Derby for us and we have therefore done the double that matters already.

The Swansea rivalry is secondary to Bristol was the view of some.

It always seems odd to me there are many who claim Bristol are our rivals not swansea yet anyone who has attended any Derby or even any cardiff game for the last 35 years or so would find that impossible to believe?

International

Re: Bristol or Swansea?

My father followed city all his life and he always maintained that Bristol was the "Must win" game. The rivalry was intense. You must remember that for a very very longtime Swansea wasn't anywhere near the same league as us.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    My father followed city all his life and he always maintained that Bristol was the "Must win" game. The rivalry was intense. You must remember that for a very very longtime Swansea wasn't anywhere near the same league as us.
    Anyone under 45/50 would say swansea?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I'm in no position to argue that

They're both c**ts, but Bristol are English as well.

It's historic. You have to remember that from the mid 60's to the late 70's Swansea were either 1 or 2 leagues below the City. During this period Bristol were in the same league as us. We tended to play Swansea only in Welsh Cup games and while it was great to beat them, the real rivalry was with our friends over the bridge. My son on the other hand, who only started watching the City in the late 80's has the same opinion as you.

Swansea home this year was 28k, Bristol was 25k attendance
    (seems to be more for the Swansea game for the past few years as well)

FT: Bristol C 1 - 0 Swansea

I’d say anyone over, say, 72 would probably feel the same, I’m 68 though and it’ll always be the wurzels for me for the reasons set out by Moodybluebird, although I’m not sure I would have said the same before the game with the jacks just before Christmas 1993 when their fans were an absolute disgrace.

My hatred of Swansea is deep and hope they disappear into oblivion as soon as possible

Bristol I'm like "meh" - I want us to win every game but I hate losing to Swansea so much

Maybe it is because I grew up in Cardiff but my adult years 21 on I lived in neath and have had a few issues over the years - I don't know but anyway glad they lost today 👍👍

Neither, sometimes it’s impossible to make a decision and just relish whoever loses

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Jacks are in trouble. 73% possession today and over 600 passes but no shots on target. Toothless and aimless sums that up. If we beat them they wont be far off the bottom 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Jacks are in trouble. 73% possession today and over 600 passes but no shots on target. Toothless and aimless sums that up. If we beat them they wont be far off the bottom 3.
    Be interesting how we approach the game v them next week. To get 73% possession but not register a single shot on target is quite spectacular to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d say anyone over, say, 72 would probably feel the same, I’m 68 though and it’ll always be the wurzels for me for the reasons set out by Moodybluebird, although I’m not sure I would have said the same before the game with the jacks just before Christmas 1993 when their fans were an absolute disgrace.
    I'm 77 in July......brought up between Porth and Trebanog.....and for me there is no question that Swansea are the ones I want to beat.......Bristol if we can....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Think that’s good, even less confidence for them next week. We need to start well and get at them, their confidence is shot if you get at them.

Be interesting how we approach the game v them next week. To get 73% possession but not register a single shot on target is quite spectacular to be fair.
    The swanzee way butt

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    My hatred of Swansea is deep and hope they disappear into oblivion as soon as possible

Bristol I'm like "meh" - I want us to win every game but I hate losing to Swansea so much

Maybe it is because I grew up in Cardiff but my adult years 21 on I lived in neath and have had a few issues over the years - I don't know but anyway glad they lost today ����
    Is Neath still split fairly evenly amongst real fans? I don’t mean 10 yr old kids who started to watch them when they got to the PL and disappeared again…..massive respect to our Neath and PT brethren

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is Neath still split fairly evenly amongst real fans? I don’t mean 10 yr old kids who started to watch them when they got to the PL and disappeared again…..massive respect to our Neath and PT brethren
    Whenever I catch the train from neath there is a sprinkling of ardiff and then picks up in port Talbot

My son is 29 and quite a few of his mates are prem league club supporters (in the loosest sense of the word) and bearing in mind i spent quite a few years apologising to my son at the end of each season as the swans had been in the prem so they could have joined the bandwagon and stayed on

He probably has two or three friends who support the swans but they all have had parental influence and I think that's the key for me - having the club handed down as it were

Having said that loads of people give me grief about the football and hide behind being a swans fan when they are doing well - suspect that is the same in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apart from Welsh Cup games I can’t remember the first one time I saw City play the Jacks in the league, whereas we were joined at the hip with the Wurzles for decades. I just checked 11v11 & it was 1980, we’d played Bristol 15 times in the intervening years.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Apart from Welsh Cup games I can’t remember the first one time I saw City play the Jacks in the league, whereas we were joined at the hip with the Wurzles for decades. I just checked 11v11 & it was 1980, we’d played Bristol 15 times in the intervening years.
    Yeah, we played Swansea in the league a few times after my first game in 1963 as a seven year old before they got relegated, but I didn’t see my first league game against the jacks until I was 23.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    They're both c**ts, but Bristol are English as well.
    Perfect summary

Haha...I remember going to the Vetch for a midweek game (can't remember the score...)...somehow missed the last transport back home so started to walk....managed to get to Pencoed......then ran out of steam....could not find anywhere to B&B at that time of night so spent the rest of the night kipping in a bus shelter -with toilet adjoining...got a bus back home early morning.....couple of pieces of toast and then to work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Neither, sometimes it’s impossible to make a decision and just relish whoever loses
    This.

We’ve played Swansea 14 times since 1999. We only played them 5 times between 1999 and 2014.

Bristol on the other hand we’ve played 38 times and almost consistently every year.

For any fans ~30 and under then it’s arguable that Bristol have been or bigger rivals in their lifetime. Coupled with the “Welsh togetherness” feeling the national team has helped develop in the last decade I can see why people would consider England’s Bristol a bigger rival.

I’m in that age bracket and personally would consider Swansea our bigger rivals, but it’s close.

anyone using the word Hate needs to find another hobby.