+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next season's squad

Next season's squad

Assuming we're staying in the Championship next season there are some key personnel decisions to be made this summer if we want to build on what we've done this year.

Ralls is out of contract again but you would argue his stock has dipped slightly this year. He should absolutely stay but with City looking to keep operating costs down it could be an interesting negotiation.

We're in desperate need of a permanent centre half - as good as Phillips has been I would imagine he's out if our price range. Interesting to see Kipre is out of contract this summer.

Left back. Not only for squad depth but seeing what Wilson-Esbrand had brought in terms of energy and a positive attacking option on the left - it leaves me thinking we must get an upgrade on Collins.

Midfield is a strange one as in recent games Turnball and Wintle have looked like solid championship operators. Siopis, after a little break looks full of energy again. Add to that Eli King getting a couple of great loans under his belt. I still think we need a quality play maker - and probably will have to offload Rhinomota and Adams to make room.

The front three is where I think all our serious attention needs to be placed. Bowler, Grant and Diedhiou will leave meaning our first choice 3 will be Tanner, Etete and Meite, Arguably two of those three would be better out on loan and Meite, as he is now, will only be used as a squad/ rotation player.

It does look like there may be (limited) funds - and for once in a fairly long time some consistency in the management team

Re: Next season's squad

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Assuming we're staying in the Championship next season there are some key personnel decisions to be made this summer if we want to build on what we've done this year.

Ralls is out of contract again but you would argue his stock has dipped slightly this year. He should absolutely stay but with City looking to keep operating costs down it could be an interesting negotiation.

We're in desperate need of a permanent centre half - as good as Phillips has been I would imagine he's out if our price range. Interesting to see Kipre is out of contract this summer.

Left back. Not only for squad depth but seeing what Wilson-Esbrand had brought in terms of energy and a positive attacking option on the left - it leaves me thinking we must get an upgrade on Collins.

Midfield is a strange one as in recent games Turnball and Wintle have looked like solid championship operators. Siopis, after a little break looks full of energy again. Add to that Eli King getting a couple of great loans under his belt. I still think we need a quality play maker - and probably will have to offload Rhinomota and Adams to make room.

The front three is where I think all our serious attention needs to be placed. Bowler, Grant and Diedhiou will leave meaning our first choice 3 will be Tanner, Etete and Meite, Arguably two of those three would be better out on loan and Meite, as he is now, will only be used as a squad/ rotation player.

It does look like there may be (limited) funds - and for once in a fairly long time some consistency in the management team
    Don't disagree with any of that but for me

Would like ralls to stay
    Is it worth another loan for esbrand
    Would love to know if Phillips is affordable as he has been impressive but kipre on a free would be good - depends if Albion go up
    Love grant to stay but again wages might be a problem
    Happy for bowler to go back
    In terms of management consistency you are assuming bulut is staying ?? I'm amazed at the lack of information on this and also the lack of questions from the press - my fear is that bulut doesn't want to stay and will walk at the end of the season

Lastly just on your opening line do you think we are still at risk of relegation or were you thinking of promotion 😂😂

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

So you’re happy with the strikers that are at the club already?

I think it depends on the manager, if Bulut stays and has his first summer then I think we will see a big turn over in players.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    So you’re happy with the strikers that are at the club already?
    Not at all. I actually say the front three is the biggest challenge. I would say it's the only area where (when the loanees go back) we haven't got a single nailed on starter in the squad.

I reckon we need: Centre back, Left back, 2 wingers, striker.... and maybe a midfield playmaker.

Anyone reckon there could be a few bids for NG? A goal scoring defender is an asset to any side. Particularly if he’s adding to a healthy strike force’s tally instead of being our main threat at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone reckon there could be a few bids for NG? A goal scoring defender is an asset to any side. Particularly if he’s adding to a healthy strike force’s tally instead of being our main threat at the moment.
    There could be and it'll be very interesting to see what the club does. How long has it been since we received any meaningful bids for a player?

There could be and it'll be very interesting to see what the club does. How long has it been since we received any meaningful bids for a player?
    In terms of anything concrete then Zohore?

There were rumoured bids from Burnley for Isaak Davies

Out recent transfer history is interesting. Counting only where a fee has been paid....
    19/20: In...Glatzel £6m, Flint £4m, Vaulks £2.5m, Vassell £2m, Whyte £2m, Pack £1m || Out...Reid £9m, Zohore £9m, Manga £2m
    Net Spend: -£2.5m
    20/21: In....Moore £2m, Watters £1m, Ng £300k || Out..Etheridge £2.22, Patterson £550k
    Net Spend: £730k
    21/22: In.... none || Out... Moore £4.2m, Glatzel £1m
    Net Spend: -£5.2m
    22/23: In... Etete £600k, Tanner £55k ||Out.. none
    Net Spend: £655k
    23/24: In... Turnball £2.33m ||Out.. Watters £330k, Allsop £100k
    Net Spend £1.9m

So we've actually made a profit of £4.4m in our transfer dealings since we came back down from the Prem. Very interesting.

Out recent transfer history is interesting. Counting only where a fee has been paid....
    19/20: In...Glatzel £6m, Flint £4m, Vaulks £2.5m, Vassell £2m, Whyte £2m, Pack £1m || Out...Reid £9m, Zohore £9m, Manga £2m
    Net Spend: -£2.5m
    20/21: In....Moore £2m, Watters £1m, Ng £300k || Out..Etheridge £2.22, Patterson £550k
    Net Spend: £730k
    21/22: In.... none || Out... Moore £4.2m, Glatzel £1m
    Net Spend: -£5.2m
    22/23: In... Etete £600k, Tanner £55k ||Out.. none
    Net Spend: £655k
    23/24: In... Turnball £2.33m ||Out.. Watters £330k, Allsop £100k
    Net Spend £1.9m

So we've actually made a profit of £4.4m in our transfer dealings since we came back down from the Prem. Very interesting.
    Callum Robinson in September 2022 for £1.75m

Yep missed that one. I should say that my figures are from a 'reasonably' reliable website but there are probably a few errors.

The wages that we’ve paid to players we’ve borrowed will bump the outgoings up considerably.

Possibly in the past but the new accounts suggest we're actually in the bottom half of the table for wage expenditure thiis year.