+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On This Day 1983

On This Day 1983

blast from the past a great turn out that day pompey away

Re: On This Day 1983

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    blast from the past a great turn out that day pompey away

bottom right, the clock is in full working order. Mad mark was just warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    bottom right, the clock is in full working order. Mad mark was just warming up.
    I’m feeling old now looking at that, still remember the buzz meeting up at the station early that morning

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I’m feeling old now looking at that, still remember the buzz meeting up at the station early that morning
    I was 10 years old. Went on the train with my old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was 10 years old. Went on the train with my old man.
    17 and went on the train with my usual mates - one used to post on here as Dr pop but has sadly passed - can't believe 41 years has passed -scary - that game was intense all day long - I'm sure they showed it on match of the day for some reason ??

I went to every home and away including cup games that year except for Bradford away (if I'm thinking of the right game) we lost 4-0 or 4-1 and I'm sure Phil Dwyer ended up in goal - the reason I missed it was because it was moved to an afternoon in midweek because the floodlights weren't working and I had an exam I couldn't get out of

Travelling with the city was dodgy in those days and rarely an away game went passed without incident of some sort

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    17 and went on the train with my usual mates - one used to post on here as Dr pop but has sadly passed - can't believe 41 years has passed -scary - that game was intense all day long - I'm sure they showed it on match of the day for some reason ??

I went to every home and away including cup games that year except for Bradford away (if I'm thinking of the right game) we lost 4-0 or 4-1 and I'm sure Phil Dwyer ended up in goal - the reason I missed it was because it was moved to an afternoon in midweek because the floodlights weren't working and I had an exam I couldn't get out of

Travelling with the city was dodgy in those days and rarely an away game went passed without incident of some sort
    the chesterfield away game one of the last games of the season was the pick of the bunch for me that year .won 1 nil to secure promotion on the pitch after the game with dave bennett on our shoulders . great times

the chesterfield away game one of the last games of the season was the pick of the bunch for me that year .won 1 nil to secure promotion on the pitch after the game with dave bennett on our shoulders . great times
    We didn’t go up that day, this is the game where promotion was secured.

The game at Bradford was played on a weekday afternoon, we lost 4-2 and both Phil Dwyer and London Jones had a go in goals after Andy Dibble was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We didn’t go up that day, this is the game where promotion was secured.

The game at Bradford was played on a weekday afternoon, we lost 4-2 and both Phil Dwyer and London Jones had a go in goals after Andy Dibble was injured.
    Thanks for that I was close 😂😂

the chesterfield away game one of the last games of the season was the pick of the bunch for me that year .won 1 nil to secure promotion on the pitch after the game dave bennett on our shoulders . great times
    The chesterfield games was chaotic - went in a pub and someone was swinging from the light shades, there were plain clothes coppers everywhere and city fans trashed the market place after the game and their were people running everywhere

The game itself was brilliant but the behaviour of our fans left a lot to be desired on that day and throughout that season

[QUOTE=Nobody's Rep;5496182]The chesterfield games was chaotic - went in a pub and someone was swinging from the light shades,

i could elaborate on that person swinging from the light shades but i better keep stum

I was 15 went on the normal with my brother and his mates they were all 6 or 7 years older than me.
    41 years later I still have a pint with them in Canton prior to City games.

It’s scary that the Pompey game was 41 years ago. I was in Portsmouth Poly at the time, so I didn’t open my mouth much that evening in Southsea.

I remember watching the highlights on the Sunday on Match of the Day, and Len Ashurst was interviewed on the pitch after the game, and said to the commentator what wonderful support City had had that day. He turned around to salute the fans and all you could see was the City fans tearing down the clock tower!

I remember then the game the following year when Phil Dwyer came charging over to our end before the start of the game screaming “What’s the time., what’s the time?” Talk about stoking up the fire!

Fantastic memories!!