+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Historically big clubs

Re: Historically big clubs

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    In order to become that big club, we need the plastics, the ones that turn up in the PL, at Wembley etc….5 years of success we might keep them for once, but we never do……
    They soon vanish don't they

In 52/53 City had the 8th highest average attendance in the league. With an average above Man Utd, Man City and Villa. Despite finishing mid-table in the top flight.

Yep they were in the ground averaging circa 55000 the year before they struggled all season and then won the europa league averaging circa 60000 which they still do. Now I’ll leave you with the last word Don’t want to get dragged into another sludge derailment
    Last edited by Packerman; 18-04-24 at 06:48. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Yep they were in the ground averaging circa 55000 the year before they struggled all season and then won the europa league averaging circa 60000 which they still do. Now I’ll leave you with the last word Don’t want to get dragged into another sludge derailment
    They hadn't moved into the ground when I thought a 60000 stadium might be too big for them

Struggling in the Premier league is not struggling is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    In 52/53 City had the 8th highest average attendance in the league. With an average above Man Utd, Man City and Villa. Despite finishing mid-table in the top flight.
    And way above leeds I would imagine ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No I havnt

The fans are great I should know I was there home and away with sometimes 2500

The seventies , eighties , nineties , naughties, sixties , ask your bald shooting mate, the club has never had the support it should have which is the fault of the fans that don't bother not the loyal fans

I know loads of fans who have followed city home and away for decades and still do and often catch up with them

I know who our loyal fans are
    No-one is obliged to attend a football match. Your criticism of those who choose not to attend or to attend occasionally is totally futile.

Re writing history again. They were doing well in the prem when you said what you said. I haven’t got the skill or the inclination to find the post but I’m 100% positive I’m right. Crack on with your denial though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    No-one is obliged to attend a football match. Your criticism of those who choose not to attend or to attend occasionally is totally futile.
    Of course nobody is obliged to attend a football match

But if someone from Taunton who has no links whatsoever to Manchester or Liverpool and uses their free will to support the big clubs then I reserve the right to comment on it

Wether you approve of that is your free choice

Re writing history again. They were doing well in the prem when you said what you said. I haven’t got the skill or the inclination to find the post but I’m 100% positive I’m right. Crack on with your denial though.
    Well if you can find the post I am happy to accept I was wrong

But I don't think I was

You crack on

Well if you can find the post I am happy to accept I was wrong

But I don't think I was

You crack on
    found the post 8/8/22. To quote you.” Don’t think West Ham will be getting 60000 crowds for long”. A season and a half later crowds are up 👍

found the post 8/8/22. To quote you.” Don’t think West Ham will be getting 60000 crowds for long”. A season and a half later crowds are up 👍
    They get 'barely' 50k for most games. The Atmosphere is dreadful. Don't know who they were playing, but last week at home in the PL there couldn't have been 40k there and the place was less than half full at the end.

Average home crowd this season 62,435. Second best in premier league. Tickets sold as you well know know. Yes atmosphere is hit and miss. Same as most grounds.

Of course nobody is obliged to attend a football match

But if someone from Taunton who has no links whatsoever to Manchester or Liverpool and uses their free will to support the big clubs then I reserve the right to comment on it

Wether you approve of that is your free choice
    It matters not what I approve of, old fruit - and my comment wasn't about those who adopt big teams from afar.

OK packerman I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It matters not what I approve of, old fruit - and my comment wasn't about those who adopt big teams from afar.
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about now you twisted old fruit

Error

OK packerman I was wrong
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    We played man city start of 83 84 season ?

Beat them , bodin scored

About 8500 there at Ninian

Lost up at Maine Road to two late goals after hemmerman scored

25000 if I remember

The theatre that is being played out these days with all the money is a different league but even back then Maine Road was a big old school ground and Man City were a big club

👍
    Do you think West ham would get full houses if they got relegated and stayed down ? ..which is what I should have said initially and was different to what i did say

United , Liverpool , Spurs , I think yes

Do you think West ham would get full houses if they got relegated and stayed down ? ..which is what I should have said initially and was different to what i did say

United , Liverpool , Spurs , I think yes
    No idea tbh. I’ve lived in Romford and now live in ipswich and the fan base for West Ham is big in both these regions.more so in Romford obviously. Not sure spurs would sell out every week if they were marooned mid table in the championship.for a few seasons. But it’s not gonna happen to either club so we will never know.

No idea tbh. I’ve lived in Romford and now live in ipswich and the fan base for West Ham is big in both these regions.more so in Romford obviously. Not sure spurs would sell out every week if they were marooned mid table in the championship.for a few seasons. But it’s not gonna happen to either club so we will never know.
    Well Leeds , Newcastle , Sunderland have had their bad patches so I wouldn't bet on it

West Ham are the most likely of the big London clubs to go down if anyone is ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    They get 'barely' 50k for most games. The Atmosphere is dreadful. Don't know who they were playing, but last week at home in the PL there couldn't have been 40k there and the place was less than half full at the end.
    To add, there forum[s] are full of comments about the ground and the atmosphere, and talk of a new, purpose built stadium - without a running track. They reckon there were 15,000 empty seats at their last home game v Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    To add, there forum[s] are full of comments about the ground and the atmosphere, and talk of a new, purpose built stadium - without a running track. They reckon there were 15,000 empty seats at their last home game v Burnley.
    Yes, although the likelihood is that they're paid for seats, so count towards the actual attendance. This is London, you have businesses buying up seats for corporate partners etc, affluent people who can afford to buy an expensive season ticket and use it as and when. Arsenal have some spaces at their ground, as do Man City. It's not uncommon.

We played man city start of 83 84 season ?

Beat them , bodin scored

About 8500 there at Ninian

Lost up at Maine Road to two late goals after hemmerman scored

25000 if I remember

The theatre that is being played out these days with all the money is a different league but even back then Maine Road was a big old school ground and Man City were a big club
    Man City not the best example….clubs like Sunderland and Newcastle dipped to 15-18k regularly back then…..boro even less sub 10k

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Man City not the best example….clubs like Sunderland and Newcastle dipped to 15-18k regularly back then…..boro even less sub 10k
    Maybe not , Man City were a well supported big city club long before the money came along

Boro not on the same level as Newcastle, Sunderland