+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dark Clouds Gathering over America?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Dark Clouds Gathering over America?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    I don’t believe in god. I’m not fussed about that debate - you say.
    In other words, I'm uncomfortable thinking about Almighty God and I'd rather not focus on my faith, which I am certain isn't religious!
    A familiar position, and the denial that comes with it.

As for the claim, "Claiming that god will cause an earthquake under a solar eclipse because the Americans chose the wrong president" is not the issue and it never was. This is more to do with a nation founded on Biblical principles turning against those principles and therefore against God.

I'm certain that you will think this has nothing whatsoever to do with yourself and it won't impact you in any way, and this is where we differ, greatly.

Lastly, why do you think this isssue related to 1999 is a 'wild claim' (?). The average amount of deaths across the WHOLE of Europe in the 20th Century from quakes was less then 39 people per week. Yet in less than one week 17,000 people perished due to a major quake in a country darkened by that total eclipse. If you are so willingly blind that you can't see anything out of the ordinary in that, then why should I spend more time trying to demonstrate something you wish to remain in denial about?
    This is a genuinely astonishing interpretation of statistics.

The reason the average number of deaths in Europe is low is because it's rare. Two of the 25 biggest 20th century earthquakes by fatality (globally) were in Italy, and it's a whole other debate as to whether the Izmit 1999 earthquake was in Europe or not, but for your argument let's say it was. That's just three out of 25, if anyone can find a longer list than this then please share and we'll see if that is the trend or not. I would imagine it is as Europe is mostly safely inside the Eurasian Plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_...ry_earthquakes

The majority of European earthquake deaths (132,000 out of 202,000) happened in 1908, 1915, and 1999. It makes absolutely no sense at all to make this a weekly average, as if it were like road deaths.

There were 71 total eclipses globally in the 20th century. I'm not intending to look through every one of them, so I just checked the years. In 1908, one went over the Pacific from the Marshall Islands to Costa Rica (not near Europe); in 1915, one went from Australia to Japan (not near Europe); and a second in 1915 was also over the Pacific and only visible from Japan. And of course in 1999, one went from a little bit of Cornwall, over Turkey, and on its way to Pakistan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_20th_century

So that's one example I can find, and that's not even the X that you talk about in the opening post. If there was a correlation, there would be more examples. And let's be honest, a scientist would have spotted it by now as earthquake prediction is notoriously inexact.

Re: Dark Clouds Gathering over America?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This is a genuinely astonishing interpretation of statistics.

The reason the average number of deaths in Europe is low is because it's rare. Two of the 25 biggest 20th century earthquakes by fatality (globally) were in Italy, and it's a whole other debate as to whether the Izmit 1999 earthquake was in Europe or not, but for your argument let's say it was. That's just three out of 25, if anyone can find a longer list than this then please share and we'll see if that is the trend or not. I would imagine it is as Europe is mostly safely inside the Eurasian Plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_...ry_earthquakes

The majority of European earthquake deaths (132,000 out of 202,000) happened in 1908, 1915, and 1999. It makes absolutely no sense at all to make this a weekly average, as if it were like road deaths.

There were 71 total eclipses globally in the 20th century. I'm not intending to look through every one of them, so I just checked the years. In 1908, one went over the Pacific from the Marshall Islands to Costa Rica (not near Europe); in 1915, one went from Australia to Japan (not near Europe); and a second in 1915 was also over the Pacific and only visible from Japan. And of course in 1999, one went from a little bit of Cornwall, over Turkey, and on its way to Pakistan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_20th_century

So that's one example I can find, and that's not even the X that you talk about in the opening post. If there was a correlation, there would be more examples. And let's be honest, a scientist would have spotted it by now as earthquake prediction is notoriously inexact.
    A scientist!
    Yes, we've just had 4 years of 'following the science' and what an unnecessary pantomime that was

Away from relying on the unreliable, it wasn't me that brought up the 1999 eclipse, it was one of your lot, a fellow skeptic.
    All I did was immediately prove that within 6 days there was a major earthquake in one of the countries that was touched by the 'darkness'. As you pointed out, major quakes are fairly rare and you rightly quoted, "1908, 1915, and 1999". I made a connection straight away with the 1999 event, I'm sorry if that was inconvenient or your local scientist didn't send you an email, maybe they were busy wasting billions of euros trying to get atoms to collide so they they can tell God He was wrong about how we all got here?