Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
I think he's suggesting the end of the world is nigh because a total eclipse occurred on some fault line and it's about to happen again in exactly the same place. I mean, there's no other explanation for it, is there? We're all doomed (unless you believe in Jesus of course, then it's fine).
Oh dear. I think this is another type of “Millennium Bug” situation. You know, “We’re all going to die / end of the planet” narrative. These people promoting this stuff remind me of the old geriatrics who used to roam the streets of Cardiff with “The End Of The World Is Nigh” placards hanging off their back. If it weren’t acid rain, it was warnings of aliens landing or nuclear wipeout. Something was going to kill humanity and they were certain of it, poor dabs. None of it happened. The only “end that was nigh” was their poor ageing spinal cord from carrying those things like Jesus Christ carrying the cross to his crucifixtion.

I remember working for a company around 1998-99, when armies of bearded looking hippies were being paid 400-600 a day to check a load of geek code in computer systems to make sure there was no gremlins. It was The Millenium Bug gory story. I’ll be damned if I understand the details as frankly the details would cure my insomnia, as anything to do with IT leaves me needing matchsticks between my eyelids to keep me awake. But needless to say, an estimated hundreds of millions were paid in fees to these previously-retired sandal-wearing keyboard-tappers in Europe and US to panic and fuss about it.

Midnight 2000 loomed. We all waited with baited breath to see if lights went out. Perhaps the party at the Millenium Dome would end as DJ systems shut down or lazer strobes died. Would Bank ATMs fail and could we get our money? Would tills still work at checkout - perhaps we couldn’t feed our kids. Nope. Nothing happened. Not a peep. Kids got their food. ATMs served cash. People danced and got pissed. The world survived. Nowt happened. It was the biggest let-down ever.

As always, someone got the Swag Bag, but by then they had long scarpered. A shit load of old COBOL programmers, who from what I could tell were previously struggling to pay for a decent jumper, now drove around in Ferraris and had 3 or 4 houses in Roath rented out. They did alright out of it. Create a panic story. Full media assault. Make people shit their drawers over a non event. Someone somewhere is having a Toffee Crisp and a full bank account. Mugs get mugged. Oldest playbook in town. Mugs still fall for it.

If this “New Real Madrid Seismic Zone” or whatever its called creates the disaster people say it will I’ll let an XL dog nosh my nuts live and post the link on here. But if I am correct the person recycling this nonsense gets my award for Numbskull Of The Year