+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bristol City My Arse

Re: Bristol City My Arse

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think that the hatred at Sunderland for Newcastle and Pompey for Southampton is the same

I definitely think that our lot hate Swansea as much as they hate us wether it's appropriate in 2024 is debatable but Bristol City are definitely down the pecking order

You very very occasionally speak to a fellow Cardiff fan who says he doesn't dislike Swansea or admires the way they play football or they are a fellow Welsh team etc etc but I take that with a pinch of salt

On a football club level it's reciprocal, but its deeper than that. This is about perceived injustices of "Cardiff gets everything" its a Swansea region grievance rather than just a Swansea City thing.

I’m over 60 and I’m completely with Sludge on this one, it is embarrassing trying to pretend Bristol City are our bigger rivals!

Also, you know the England-Wales rivalry, it is one-sided.

England in general for either football or rugby don't give a rats arse about beating little ole Wales. Its nice to beat us but we are not their rival, but when we beat them we are giving it large. Same with the Jacks, yes they are our main rivals but there is just not the same intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Also, you know the England-Wales rivalry, it is one-sided.

England in general for either football or rugby don't give a rats arse about beating little ole Wales. Its nice to beat us but we are not their rival, but when we beat them we are giving it large. Same with the Jacks, yes they are our main rivals but there is just not the same intensity.
    This is true, a lot of English football fans actually wanted little old Wales to do well in Euro 16 until the video of the Welsh team celebrating their loss to Iceland came out. Same with the rugby, they care much less about playing Wales than the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Excellent and spot on!
    I disagree

On a football club level it's reciprocal, but its deeper than that. This is about perceived injustices of "Cardiff gets everything" its a Swansea region grievance rather than just a Swansea City thing.
    Yes, this certainly seems to motivate their fan base, it transfers to their players too!

I must admit an ex from sketty wouldn't go shopping in Cardiff even though she knew the quadrant centre was crap

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Only facts in your head you total myopic bellend
    Perhaps this is why Eric has had enough!

"Oh I've never felt more like signing the blues, when Cardiff win and Swansea lose ..."

Not really bothered about Bristol City results apart from when we play them. Also a significant number of Cardiff players have BCFC on their C.V.

The same cannot be said about Swansea, whose team I admire, but whose fans I particularly dislike.

Notice the guy of advanced age who was doing the 'aeroplane' in full view of the Sky Sports cameras before kick-off?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I’m over 60 and I’m completely with Sludge on this one, it is embarrassing trying to pretend Bristol City are our bigger rivals!
    I am sure there are City fans who really do love turning over Bristol City but often when we get done by Swansea......and that happens far too often .....its cringeworthy to hear oh Bristol is the one .....its just another game

Isn't that what Dave Jones got stick for saying ?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Apart from this message board I've never seen it discussed anywhere else at all. Probably shows how old this message board is and how old most users are. Nobody under 35 uses message boards.

And anyone under 60 would say swansea straight away.
    As someone under 60 I know you are wrong with that last sweeping generalisation.

What happened yesterday was unacceptable from both players and the management team. Just because people have more memories of rivalry with Bristol fans didn't mean yesterday doesn't matter.

No question the derby with the swans is now the bigger of the two but likewise it undoubtedly means more to the average jack. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just reality. I’m sure many derbies are like that.

Personally, it’s knowing this that makes it meaningful for me, because I know it means that much more to them. Sadly for us, our recent record is woeful and exacerbates this.

If recent head to head roles were reversed, the derby would feel closer to the one with the wurzels for me personally (I’m under 40). Still a derby but relative.

Whereas I just don’t think it would fluctuate in the same way for the jacks, they’d take just as much joy out of it had they beaten us ten times on the bounce. They despise us in a way that just isn’t as reciprocated to the same intensity.

They spent 7 years in the top flight

They won a trophy

You are being silly now
    1980 was 44 years ago. To say they've dominated anything since then is ****ing ridiculous. When we got to the Championship they were in Division 4. Were they dominating South Wales football then? Or are you talking out of your arse?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    1980 was 44 years ago. To say they've dominated anything since then is ****ing ridiculous. When we got to the Championship they were in Division 4. Were they dominating South Wales football then? Or are you talking out of your arse?
    7 years in the top flight and a trophy

You have swamp fever

I find it laughable when people try to suggest Bristol and not Swansea are our main rivals

It's actually quite embarrassing

And it makes us look so pathetic when we try to pretend it means more to them than us
    Bollux! Bristol City will always be our biggest rivals, not the JB's, from my point of view. I've seen most City v Wurzels games since '68/69 season, both home and away. They are our nearest English rivals that we have played more or less regularly since those days. There has always been vitriol between us and them. First time I heard the sickening 'Aberfan' chant was from the Bristol City lowlife scum. The JB's were Swansea Town back then, in the lower reaches of the old Division 4. I've worked and lived in Bristol City really, really hate us. I just cannot, nor will I ever get worked up about the jacks. Bristol City yes, Swansea no

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Dominated South Welsh football? They were in the dungeon with us for most of the time. We beat them in the PL. They won the League Cup against Bradford. We lost on penalties to LIVERPOOL. AND we got to an FA Cup final. Get a ****ing grip.
    They won the League Cup against Bradford, and who did swanseas beat to get to the final ?

I must admit an ex from sketty wouldn't go shopping in Cardiff even though she knew the quadrant centre was crap
    It was only on Friday i bumped into Elise and she did mention you.

I think there are local factors as well

I live in CF14, Ashton gate is closer !!!

If you live and work in Cardiff you rarely meet a jack or wurzel but my mates in Bridgend county to Neath you are in the thick of it I guess so you see it differently. I guess the Rhondda is blue

International

I find it laughable when people try to suggest Bristol and not Swansea are our main rivals

And it makes us look so pathetic when we try to pretend it means more to them than us
    Both Rivals both important, we used to fight with Bristol years ago a lot more, Swansea fans were never about when it wasn't a bubble trip.

So the older the fan the more Bristol were the main rivals.

International

Bristol I think is slightly closer, and there is the English thing, Swansea are much more up for it because they don't have anyone else near them at all. It will always be a much bigger game for them, just look at their Manager out celebrating with young boys in a bar, it means everything to them.

My introduction to Ninian Park was in the 80's so County was the biggest game (boxing day), then the Wurzels and Rovers. It started to get tasty in the 90's in the dungeon era, but on a relatively small scale as attendance we so low in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Bollux! Bristol City will always be our biggest rivals, not the JB's, from my point of view. I've seen most City v Wurzels games since '68/69 season, both home and away. They are our nearest English rivals that we have played more or less regularly since those days. There has always been vitriol between us and them. First time I heard the sickening 'Aberfan' chant was from the Bristol City lowlife scum. The JB's were Swansea Town back then, in the lower reaches of the old Division 4. I've worked and lived in Bristol City really, really hate us. I just cannot, nor will I ever get worked up about the jacks. Bristol City yes, Swansea no
    You are very much in the minority

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    It was only on Friday i bumped into Elise and she did mention you.
    God bless her

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Bristol I think is slightly closer, and there is the English thing, Swansea are much more up for it because they don't have anyone else near them at all. It will always be a much bigger game for them, just look at their Manager out celebrating with young boys in a bar, it means everything to them.
    It means a lot to us too

I think there are local factors as well

I live in CF14, Ashton gate is closer !!!

If you live and work in Cardiff you rarely meet a jack or wurzel but my mates in Bridgend county to Neath you are in the thick of it I guess so you see it differently. I guess the Rhondda is blue
    Yeah Ashton Gate closer to me also in CF23.

I guess the issue is there isn't any area where cardiff or Bristol may be a choice people make. None. No school will be split between cardiff and bristol fans.

Whereas yes its clear there are large areas in south wales which while blue or white may be dominant for whatever reason there will be divided loyalties that just don't apply to cardiff Bristol.

I personally dislike Bristol City more than I dislike Swansea, I worked for a company and we had depots nationwide, I worked out of the Cardiff depot but we also had a depot opposite Cribbs in Bristol, having to speak to those f'ing nitwits regularly broke my brain, the arrogance from these bellends.

the love-in began at 15 years old when I was arrested on Ninian Park Road (with Robert Hicks RIP) after a Bristol City game, from then on I dislike everything about them, the arrogance, the songs they sing but most of all their voice, it goes through me.

in contrast most of the genuine Swansea fans i've worked with have been pretty fair, not afraid to give Cardiff credit during our decade of dominance and they're just happy to have a club to support after such a turbulent past.

maybe your view (SLUDGE) on Swansea comes from the area you grew up in, Cardiff is nearer to Bristol, plus they're English.