+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest traitors in football- cardiff nominations?

Biggest traitors in football- cardiff nominations?

Listening to the latest overlap fan debate podcast with them discussing the biggest traitor move in football.

Eg sol Campbell spurs to arsenal on a free. Tevez man u to man City. Michael owen playing for man u as a Liverpool fan and legend.

What nominations would you give re cardiff? I'm actually struggling to think!

Re: Biggest traitors in football- cardiff nominations?

Hard to think of any really.
    Years ago it was commonplace for several players to have stints at Cardiff, Swansea and Newport and can't recall any being called traitors. If anything, we've been the club players have moved to, with Andy Legg, Jason Bowen and Alan Curtis springing to mind. More recently we've had a few coming to us from over the Severn, but don't think they're referred to as traitors.

Bothroyd for playing in an England shirt.

The only one I can really think of was the full back who tweeted he wanted England to beat wales in the 2016 euros, hardly that traitorous as he was English but he did receive dogs abuse for it.
    Very two faced really because we always expect the Welsh boys playing in England to be patriotic!!
    Might have been Scott Malone but not totally sure

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Why is that traitorous? He didn't qualify for Wales and was never going to turn down that chance. Having a city play get capped for them was more of an honour then a let down surely?

John Toshack.

Ben Cabango

What cardiff players have then gone on to play for swansea? Tony Bird is only one I can think of off top of my head. And Kevin nugent of course. All the others had already played for swansea by time they came to cardiff?

I wonder if swansea just wouldn't sign any players who had played at cardiff or more likely ours have been too poor so they haven't wanted them.

Christian Roberts at Bristol when they were our biggest rivals was a big issue considering the games we had against them and him being a cardiff boy but in fairness the way he didn't celebrate probably made everyone realise it was just a job and he wished he had been wearing blue and up front with earnie but was kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Listening to the latest overlap fan debate podcast with them discussing the biggest traitor move in football.

Eg sol Campbell spurs to arsenal on a free. Tevez man u to man City. Michael owen playing for man u as a Liverpool fan and legend.

What nominations would you give re cardiff? I'm actually struggling to think!
    Leggy to us.

Supposed Cardiff City legend Robin Friday begging Reading manager Charlie Hurley to take him back in the first few weeks after we signed him.

The Swansea academy is so far ahead of ours it’s embarrassing
    There are some Cardiff kids at the jacks that will be making their debuts over the next couple of years, and it pains me to see it but good for them, just shows us up for being a bit crap

Christian Roberts at Bristol when they were our biggest rivals was a big issue considering the games we had against them and him being a cardiff boy but in fairness the way he didn't celebrate probably made everyone realise it was just a job and he wished he had been wearing blue and up front with earnie but was kicked out.
    Christian never wanted to leave us. He's a Cardiff boy through and through. He's have also had his head kicked in at The Carpenters Arms in Rumney if he'd celebrated Jimmy Gilligan celebrated loads when he went to wansea after scoring against us in the FA cup, although that was via Pompey, and he was a big nosed **** anyway. Paul Wheeler went nuts when he scored for Hereford against us, although it was Paul Wheeler, so i couldn't really get angry.

I actually like it when a player joins a rival and celebrates like a good un' It's one in the eye for the absolute clown football supporters who actually believe that footballers give a flying f uck about the fans. It's pantomime, and if you're a grown arsed adult who gets upset by that kind of thing then you (not you) need some real problems in your life

Wilf Zaha effectively refusing to play for us vs palace, even though he was on the field in a blue shirt.

Other than Zaha who lacked professionalism it would probably be dual qualified players who came through Wales age grade teams only to defect to play for other countries

Marcus Bent

Routledge

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    John Toshack.
    You mean the bloke that offered to come back to us first and we said no?

David Cotterill

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    David Cotterill
    Another one who we never wanted, didn't even look at him properly when he was a kid, and he's an Ely boy. We were never in for him and he wanted to come home. Don't blame him one bit.

Astonishing cotterill and cabango have been mentioned. Cardiff boys yes but if the city don't want them what are they supposed to do?

Astonishing cotterill and cabango have been mentioned. Cardiff boys yes but if the city don't want them what are they supposed to do?
    Mark Harris and Adam Matthews might as well get mentioned.

Jazz Richards is probably a comedy villain. I was at St Andrews when he refused to do the ayatollah. He wasn’t bad after that, granted he wasn’t great either

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Why is that traitorous? He didn't qualify for Wales and was never going to turn down that chance. Having a city play get capped for them was more of an honour then a let down surely?
    prolly because the moment Bothroyd put on a england shirt he stopped bothering for us (saving himself from injury) and waited for a PL club to approach him..

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I remember willing him to score, although with no great fervour and it was only a friendly. But even so, I nominate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

I actually like it when a player joins a rival and celebrates like a good un' It's one in the eye for the absolute clown football supporters who actually believe that footballers give a flying f uck about the fans. It's pantomime, and if you're a grown arsed adult who gets upset by that kind of thing then you (not you) need some real problems in your life
    If you're a traitor for celebrating a goal against a former club then we'd have to call out... Carl Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Mark Harris and Adam Matthews might as well get mentioned.

Jazz Richards is probably a comedy villain. I was at St Andrews when he refused to do the ayatollah. He wasn’t bad after that, granted he wasn’t great either
    Jazz isn't a bad shout but yes more of a comedy villain especially how his career sadly completely bombed.