+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shirt Pulling

Shirt Pulling

Is it accepted by refs as ok now? There’s times in all games now, not just ours, where it’s clearly visible to all, yet the game just carries on. The more it goes unpunished, the more it continues. I’m sure that in the past a blatant pulling of the opponent’s shirt in the penalty area would result in a spot kick. There’s times when it’s so obvious that you can see the player’s bare back, no free kick though, frustrating & annoying.

Re: Shirt Pulling

Ng wasn't fouled enough to disallow their goal, but fouled enough to give away a penalty, but also wasn't being fouled enough when you could see his shirt being stretched off his back. I watched it on my phone in a subway carpark, and even on an iPhone screen it was clearly visible. Maybe not to the ref, but surely one of the lino's notice? They're there looking for offside so surely they are equally positioned to see fouls like this?

Time to go for skin-tight latex shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is it accepted by refs as ok now? There’s times in all games now, not just ours, where it’s clearly visible to all, yet the game just carries on. The more it goes unpunished, the more it continues. I’m sure that in the past a blatant pulling of the opponent’s shirt in the penalty area would result in a spot kick. There’s times when it’s so obvious that you can see the player’s bare back, no free kick though, frustrating & annoying.
    Unless we get away with it. It's been happening for years, at nearly every set piece, usually more than one player doing it, sometimes both players from opposing sides holding on to each others shirt (work that one out) It would take a brave ref, loads of yellow-Red cards, about 8 penalties in a game to sort that one out, and it would still happen. If i was a referee i wouldn't want that smoke. There wouldn't be thirty thousand fans in the stands applauding him or her on their bravery by completely ****ing the game up on every set piece. **** it, best left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Ng wasn't fouled enough to disallow their goal, but fouled enough to give away a penalty, but also wasn't being fouled enough when you could see his shirt being stretched off his back. I watched it on my phone in a subway carpark, and even on an iPhone screen it was clearly visible. Maybe not to the ref, but surely one of the lino's notice? They're there looking for offside so surely they are equally positioned to see fouls like this?
    Methinks you might have come a little late to the party on this one. Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic regularly pulled Sean Morrison's shirt off his back in the penalty area at corners. My recollection is that none resulted in penalties. But I'm 100% onside with your view on this issue. It needs to be stopped. Your perceptive writing on the Ng incidents show a complete lack of consistency from the official.

Regarding yesterday's game I was appalled (yes that is the correct choice of word) at how the 6 ft 4 inch Darling embarrassingly flung himself to the turf for the obligatory free kick awarded my Mr Webb for the least contact. As if choreographed came the resulting haste that the home team closed in on the ref for retribution. It was hardly of the Corinthian spirit.

That said I thought both Darling and Meite should have been sent off: Meite for his stupidity in giving the ref a decision to make and Darling for seeking to grab the City player's throat. Neither player came out of it with any credit.

StT.
    <><

Watching the Chelsea/Leicester game and a Leicester player was booked for tugging a Chelsea player’s shirt near the touchline in halfway. Would it have been pulled up in the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Unless we get away with it. It's been happening for years, at nearly every set piece, usually more than one player doing it, sometimes both players from opposing sides holding on to each others shirt (work that one out) It would take a brave ref, loads of yellow-Red cards, about 8 penalties in a game to sort that one out, and it would still happen. If i was a referee i wouldn't want that smoke. There wouldn't be thirty thousand fans in the stands applauding him or her on their bravery by completely ****ing the game up on every set piece. **** it, best left alone.
    So leave foul play alone then? Surely penalising it should result in cutting it out.

So leave foul play alone then? Surely penalising it should result in cutting it out.
    Yup, leave it alone. It's entrenched in the game. There's so much of it going on that referees wouldn't stand a chance, and fans would be freaking out for the game stopping at every set piece, and i mean every one. There's subtle fouls going on in aerial challenges on most occasions, players putting their arse in, holding on to a player, putting their weight on them so they can't jump as well. There's loads of stuff going on and it's way too deep to sort out. It would effectively ruin the game if refs blew up on everything. Unless of course we just pick up on set pieces, then fans would moan about all of the other stuff that goes on that isn't penalised.

I'm not bothered by it, couldn't care less really. It is what it is. Football is to far gone. Players are treated like gods, Fans are up in arms if things go against them on radio shows, social media etc, telling usall how much it could cost their club as a consequence of the referee not picking up a foul etc. So, we're all to blame because of the lack of tolerance afforded to officials, TV revenue, big business not wanting the product to look shit etc and fans crying every two minutes when their team is stiffed but say **** all when it goes their way. it's here to stay, and the authorities aren't going to do a thing about it.

International

Cardiff player pulls a shirt as did Ronald it's a penalty.

Swansea players pulls NG's shirt much more aggressively it's fine play on the goal counts, it's just typical.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Methinks you might have come a little late to the party on this one. Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic regularly pulled Sean Morrison's shirt off his back in the penalty area at corners. My recollection is that none resulted in penalties. But I'm 100% onside with your view on this issue. It needs to be stopped. Your perceptive writing on the Ng incidents show a complete lack of consistency from the official.

Regarding yesterday's game I was appalled (yes that is the correct choice of word) at how the 6 ft 4 inch Darling embarrassingly flung himself to the turf for the obligatory free kick awarded my Mr Webb for the least contact. As if choreographed came the resulting haste that the home team closed in on the ref for retribution. It was hardly of the Corinthian spirit.

That said I thought both Darling and Meite should have been sent off: Meite for his stupidity in giving the ref a decision to make and Darling for seeking to grab the City player's throat. Neither player came out of it with any credit.

StT.
    <><
    Darling was a cheating pr!ck and they got away with sending Robinson off previously thankfully the ref saw through it this time, but he was stupid and Meite ucky!

With regards to shirt pulling it seems more often than not both players are pulling each others. That was the case for their penalty, but NG was the more obvious culprit based on where the ref was placed. For the penalty shout for us I would say NG was more obviously having his shirt pulled than the other way round - would again depend where the ref was stood and if he had the right tinted glasses on.

The crowding of the referee - I thought that the new rule/ law was that anyone apart from the initial player approaching the referee was to be yellow carded. Obviously as with most new initiatives this seems to have slipped. That lot yesterday, as usual, we’re doing all they could to cajole/ intimidate/ persuade the ref to issue a red card.

We didn’t show up yesterday unfortunately, but the home win was very enjoyable.

The rule change I'd like to see is stop defenders shepherding the ball out for goal kicks. It's obstruction anywhere else on the pitch, particularly where the ball is two or three yards away and the defender isn't even looking at it and is moving his position to prevent access to it . It also slows the game down, encourages time wasting and penalises attacking intent. Also, every time an attacker tries to muscle past a defender... the defender collapses to the ground and a free kick is awarded.

I'd like to see an Indirect free kick to the attacking side... or permission given for an off the ground two footed tackle from behind given

Yet, as I mentioned above, a Leicester player was booked for it today. Where’s the consistency? Foul play is foul play, the ref was correct today, that’s how it should be. I get what you’re saying that it’s too far gone but how further is it going to go? There was the early season clampdown resulting in 10+ minutes added time in a lot of games and it has carried on, not to the same extent, but 6 & 7 minutes are the norm whereas previous seasons has been 2 & 3 minutes. The added time has certainly benefited us this season, I’d like to think our late successes has been due to time wasting by teams leading us. That clampdown should be getting through to time wasters who are leading, Wolves yesterday perhaps. Next clampdown … shirt pulling…I’m leading the charge

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    The rule change I'd like to see is stop defenders shepherding the ball out for goal kicks. It's obstruction anywhere else on the pitch, particularly where the ball is two or three yards away and the defender isn't even looking at it and is moving his position to prevent access to it . It also slows the game down, encourages time wasting and penalises attacking intent. Also, every time an attacker tries to muscle past a defender... the defender collapses to the ground and a free kick is awarded.

I'd like to see an Indirect free kick to the attacking side... or permission given for an off the ground two footed tackle from behind given
    This has been going on for years and I have never understood why it is not classed as obstruction.

It would be interesting to see the effect if a team had shirts that ripped at the slightest contact. It would make it obvious as to who was having his shirt pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    This has been going on for years and I have never understood why it is not classed as obstruction.
    That’s another bugbear of mine, the defender who’s ’shepherding’ the ball out for a goal kick, sticking his fat arse into the forward, has no intention of playing the ball. It’s obstruction.

The whole situation with corners is a farce & a lottery. Personally I would bring the referee’s assistant more into play and position them on the opposite side to the referee on the edge of the 6 yard box and allow them to recover by crossing the pitch. The holding, tugging, blocking etc. makes a mockery of the game.

hate to be pedantic but you spelt pelanty wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    hate to be pedantic but you spelt pelanty wrong.
    I no

I no

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    It would be interesting to see the effect if a team had shirts that ripped at the slightest contact. It would make it obvious as to who was having his shirt pulled.
    Or had that exploding blue dye sewn into them like they put in cash cases!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Or had that exploding blue dye sewn into them like they put in cash cases!
    Players should have a buzzer attached to them like that board game 'Operation' every time they're fouled the buzzer goes off. All players would have their own unique sound. Etete could have the Air Raid Siren.

Players should have a buzzer attached to them like that board game 'Operation' every time they're fouled the buzzer goes off. All players would have their own unique sound. Etete could have the Air Raid Siren.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    F*cking class

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

StT.
    <><
    Totally agree. Both were behaving without much dignity. I didn't like to see Meite clap the ref a few minutes later, either.