+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Where am I?

Where am I?

Just got indoors after seeing a game in a country's top division and where two rival teams from the capital city played each other in a derby.

Re: Where am I?

Albania. Tirana to be specific.

umm... do I care where you are?

Taunton ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    That's a bit rich Mo, coming from someone who can't wait to tell us he'sin the Dordogne sipping on a ****ing Bottle of Blue Nun.

Obviously not. I hope I haven't spoiled your evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    That was quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Just got indoors after seeing a game in a country's top division and where two rival teams from the capital city played each other in a derby.
    We need a bit more than that old fruit.

That was quick!
    What's the food like?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    tirana v dinamo tirana . 3 - 2 Tirana

What was the atmosphere like? Did it feel like a derby around the city?
    Are they big rivals? I have no idea about Albania football.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What's the food like?
    Really good. This city is incredibly sophisticated and the modern architecture stunning. Courtesy of drug money to some degree, I have read.
    It's different in other cities here and a far cry from the last time I was in the country where there were pigs around ground floor flats and when some of the very cars on the road had plywood side windows!

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post

Second this, went to a Dinamo Bucharest game last year which atmosphere wise is up there with anything I've seen/heard... I'd hope similar for TBG today as it's in a similar neck of the woods.

Really good. This city is incredibly sophisticated and the modern architecture stunning. Courtesy of drug money to some degree, I have read.
    It's different in other cities here and a far cry from the last time I was in the country where there were pigs around ground floor flats and when some of the very cars on the road had plywood side windows!
    Sounds good. I fancy Albania. Am i correct in saying that the Government is pushing Tourism? Do you feel safe there?

It wasn't the craic I had hoped and it wasn't obvious in the city that a game was on. The exterior of the stadium is very swish with posh designer shops and the entrances to the stadium are between them and not obvious until you come across them.
    The small band of away 'ultras' were in one end of the ground but the rest of the away fans were in with the seated home fans and partaking of beer. It wasn't threatening at all and what seems to be the national stadium was only sparsely populated.
    I wouldn't make a beeline for such a game in the great scheme of things.

Was it the Air Albania Stadium? Just had a look at the pictures of it. Google maps had the old ground when I went to have a look I think. Looks really strange, like it has a big Chimney on it.
    Shame about the atmosphere, and around the city it no being obvious but then is that more on our culture and expectations of what we have experienced of a derby.
    Albania is a not a country that would jump out at me of one that I would think of going to.
    Would you recommend it for general tourism?

That's a bit rich Mo, coming from someone who can't wait to tell us he'sin the Dordogne sipping on a ****ing Bottle of Blue Nun.
    huh?? I don't ask people where I am....for me ...it says in my avatar. where I am....as for Blue Nun...you are joking right?

huh?? I don't ask people where I am....for me ...it says in my avatar. where I am....as for Blue Nun...you are joking right?
    Sorry Mo, i remember you posted a pic of yourself. You had the look of Blue Nun.... I'm more Echo Falls.

Sorry Mo, i remember you posted a pic of yourself. You had the look of Blue Nun.... I'm more Echo Falls.
    Mateus Rose. You can stick a candle in it. Looks classy with my jam jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Mateus Rose. You can stick a candle in it. Looks classy with my jam jars.
    QC at Christmas. We don't **** about in my house.

Was it the Air Albania Stadium? Just had a look at the pictures of it. Google maps had the old ground when I went to have a look I think. Looks really strange, like it has a big Chimney on it.
    Shame about the atmosphere, and around the city it no being obvious but then is that more on our culture and expectations of what we have experienced of a derby.
    Albania is a not a country that would jump out at me of one that I would think of going to.
    Would you recommend it for general tourism?
    Yes, it was the Air Albania stadium and is spectacular from the air (having seen aerial shots).
    The question about general tourism is a difficult one to answer. It's worth a city break but it's not 'daring', as it were.
    Europe is becoming very homogenous in many ways and going off the beaten track is becoming more difficult (Transnistria probably being the wackiest place).
    The rest of Albania is a contrast to Tirane and rather down at heel.
    For my part, I find interest in everywhere I go but it depends what you are after.

Yes, it was the Air Albania stadium and is spectacular from the air (having seen aerial shots).
    The question about general tourism is a difficult one to answer. It's worth a city break but it's not 'daring', as it were.
    Europe is becoming very homogenous in many ways and going off the beaten track is becoming more difficult (Transnistria probably being the wackiest place).
    The rest of Albania is a contrast to Tirane and rather down at heel.
    For my part, I find interest in everywhere I go but it depends what you are after.
    Thank you for that, city break is fine. Like you have said alot of Europe is becoming homogenous in many ways which is a shame.
    Thank you for you updates.

This is why international travel can be so rewarding.
    I have a mental image of how I'd expect the capital city of Albania to look -
    ".... sophisticated and the modern architecture stunning" isn't what I envisaged.

Europe is becoming very homogenous in many ways
    By that, do you mean the ever increasing steel/glass type structures along with the ubiquitous brand name stores?

Or a sense of missing a local flavour being replaced by a flavour that you could find in many European Cities regardless of the country that they are in?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    By that, do you mean the ever increasing steel/glass type structures along with the ubiquitous brand name stores?

Or a sense of missing a local flavour being replaced by a flavour that you could find in many European Cities regardless of the country that they are in?
    A bit of both - although many of the modern high-rise buildings here in Tirana are dating and stunning.

International

That was quick!
    Probably looks better than Swansea, have they got a quadrant and a swimming pool