+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Paul Merson Right?

International

Re: Is Paul Merson Right?

It's probably best to leave the deterrent there if it helps one player stop gambling then that's a good thing.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wealthy actors, sportsmen etc promoting gambling every ad break, everyone’s a winner. They never show a desperate soul alone in their bedroom clutching pills or a rope because everyone isn’t a winner. It’s a scourge on society.
    It is really bad and the adverts make it look very attractive and fun for teenagers and young adults, I'm all for advertising bans and much more restrictions.

Paul Merson is spot on.

Something that might interest people. When Saturday Comes has stuck to its guns by not accepting betting adverts btw.

Gambling can certainly be addictive and any addiction is a condition, not a choice. Merson is 100% correct and has the lived experience to prove it.

Football demonising and banning players for gambling and then taking the money from gambling companies and shoving it down ours, and the players, throats, is ridiculously cynical and hypocritical.

Imagine a young player with a gambling addiction who has the ability to impact of a game he's betting on.. It's like playing the lottery but being able to influence what numbers come out of Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin, Vyvyan and Galahad.

With an addiction, that your own profession rams down everyones throat and makes you wear their advertisements, i think the temptation is just too much.

The relationship between gambling and football needs to be looked at.

Also, is anyone else sick of mega rich film stars on tv telling us to gamble on almost everything. Its wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Gambling can certainly be addictive and any addiction is a condition, not a choice. Merson is 100% correct and has the lived experience to prove it.

Football demonising and banning players for gambling and then taking the money from gambling companies and shoving ut down ours, and the players, throats, is ridiculously cynical and hypocritical.

Imagine a young player with a gambling addiction who has the ability to impact of a game he's betting on.. It's like playing the lottery but being able to influence what numbers come out of Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin, Vyvyan and Galahad.

With an addiction, that your own profession rams down everyones throat and makes you wear their advertisements, i think the temptation isnjust too much.
    Good post. Don't the FA/Clubs etc. actually have a duty of care? Banning seems very draconian.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Good post. Don't the FA/Clubs etc. actually have a duty of care? Banning seems very draconian.
    To me too.

I've still got my blank one, it's my favourite city shirt that I own.

Edit: supposed to quote the previous page conversation...

Of course he is right. The hypocrisy is astounding. The Premier League has a broadcasting deal with Bet 365 but whoa betide one of the players place a bet with them.

The football industry is happy to market the life out of gambling and betting companies to make a pretty penny, but then doesnt look after its own when they are in need of help not punishment.

It is an addiction, they do need help, but a feared enough deterrent also needs to exist. If it's gotten to the point whereby they are unable to stop themselves despite the risk of putting their livelihood at risk, then 10 months out of the game doesn't sound like an unfitting amount of time for the recovery one would need to undertake.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It is really bad and the adverts make it look very attractive and fun for teenagers and young adults, I'm all for advertising bans and much more restrictions.
    As an ex Gambling addict I cant say the adverts ever really affected me, FOBTs were more of a problem for me, but I do worry about how they normalise gambling and make it look so fun, especially for teenagers and young adults.

The one that has really dissapointed me is Peter Crouch and his missus - who already have a net worth of some 30m - with their latest Paddy Power adverts making it all look so jovial and fun. I always thought Crouchy was one of the good guys, not anymore.

A lad I knew and went to school with ended his life after his life unravelled due to gambling.
    He lost everything ended up in prison after he held up the bookies with a shot gun and eventually got caught.
    He was a good footballer and a quiet man.
    I couldn't believe what had happened to him when I found out.
    I have suffered from addiction but I realised it was going the wrong way so took a step back.
    I guess I was 1 of the lucky ones.

I am glad that people have posted about their own experiences, to bring a balanced view to the thread.

The ignorance of some.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Welcome back.

(PS The Gunman might need some stats support!)
    Eric's flounce lasted 847,140 seconds. Beat that!

Aston Villa have a new shirt sponsor their biggest ever. £20 million a year with a Greek sports betting firm Betano.

It will never stop.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton
    Like I said, they don't have to gamble on football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    You have no idea, and you are ignorant.
    Not being funny but that was my thought too. I completely understand that it's a gambling addiction but is it specifically to football? I've seen interviews with players talking about betting on dogs, Basketball, anything.

Genuinely curious if the compulsion would be around a particular sport.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Not being funny but that was my thought too. I completely understand that it's a gambling addiction but is it specifically to football? I've seen interviews with players talking about betting on dogs, Basketball, anything.

Genuinely curious if the compulsion would be around a particular sport.
    You'd have to assume any of the players gambling on football would also be gambling on other sports. I don't think banning them helps, and it also doesn't address the issue.

My personal opinion is it's just a compulsion to gamble and isn't specific just to one sport. Also, how does a Newcastle player betting on, say, league two and German football even become an issue? Betting on the any competition they are directly involved in could be a conflict agreed..

You have no idea, and you are ignorant.
    You'd have to assume any of the players gambling on football would also be gambling on other sports. I don't think banning them helps, and it also doesn't address the issue.

My personal opinion is it's just a compulsion to gamble and isn't specific just to one sport. Also, how does a Newcastle player betting on, say, league two and German football even become an issue? Betting on the any competition they are directly involved in could be a conflict agreed..

I think the rules have got stricter and stricter. Not so long ago players were free to bet on other games.

I used to work next door to a bookies in Cardiff about 15 years ago and would put a few quid on the dogs at lunchtime once or twice a week. I regularly saw loads of city players in there betting hundreds and thousands. I don't know if things have changed but it seemed be be almost an embedded cultural behaviour in footballers. The amount of spare time they get can't help either I guess