+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Paul Merson Right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is Paul Merson Right?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think that's the key point.

I am anti gambling, particularly online gambling and I think it's reprehensible that football is so indebted to those companies. I also respect that some are addicted to gambling and need help.

But the issue I think is that they are involved in the sport and when gambling on that sport enters the arena it could lead to damage to sporting integrity.
    Football probably shouldn’t have got so involved with gambling in the first place, then.

Also, if they’re placing thousands of bets, they’re addicts. It isn’t their fault. Thirdly, who gives a **** about the bookies, cos they certainly couldn’t care less about Tonali and Toney. Vile, vile businesses.

Gambling can certainly be addictive and any addiction is a condition, not a choice. Merson is 100% correct and has the lived experience to prove it.

Football demonising and banning players for gambling and then taking the money from gambling companies and shoving it down ours, and the players, throats, is ridiculously cynical and hypocritical.

Imagine a young player with a gambling addiction who has the ability to impact of a game he's betting on.. It's like playing the lottery but being able to influence what numbers come out of Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin, Vyvyan and Galahad.

With an addiction, that your own profession rams down everyones throat and makes you wear their advertisements, i think the temptation is just too much.

The relationship between gambling and football needs to be looked at.

Also, is anyone else sick of mega rich film stars on tv telling us to gamble on almost everything. Its wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Gambling can certainly be addictive and any addiction is a condition, not a choice. Merson is 100% correct and has the lived experience to prove it.

Football demonising and banning players for gambling and then taking the money from gambling companies and shoving ut down ours, and the players, throats, is ridiculously cynical and hypocritical.

Imagine a young player with a gambling addiction who has the ability to impact of a game he's betting on.. It's like playing the lottery but being able to influence what numbers come out of Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin, Vyvyan and Galahad.

With an addiction, that your own profession rams down everyones throat and makes you wear their advertisements, i think the temptation isnjust too much.
    Good post. Don't the FA/Clubs etc. actually have a duty of care? Banning seems very draconian.

Aston Villa have a new shirt sponsor their biggest ever. £20 million a year with a Greek sports betting firm Betano.

It will never stop.